Column Lock Bypass (CLB)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 AM
Tooley64
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Column Lock Bypass (CLB)

Hi All
Got stranded with this issue and had to tie car home. After looking at forum I disconnected battery a couple of times and finally got it to release. However, I can only hope doesn't lock again before I get it to mechanic. I am not mechanically handy, so could I install instead of mechanic. Cheers
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You can do this yourself. If not, get the LMC5 and share this with your mechanic. In the interim, make sure your battery is not low. That causes almost all CL issues.

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:

If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23 in the I/P fuse box, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.

Also the 1999 and later C5's have a column lock relay that can be unplugged or else it will be powered and could fail and drain the battery. The LMC5 written guidance provides this info. This relay is above the BCM.

They also have a great install video in their eBay ads you need to watch.

Compliance Parts website: http://complianceparts.com/index.html

Mr. Sam
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

just what Sam said... get one and get it put in... very simple

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OP, listen to 8VETTE7. He is the GURU of CL issues. NO ONE knows more than him, NO ONE.

Mr. Sam
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The LMC5 is the wise choice for curing the column lock problem.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:31 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
OP, listen to 8VETTE7. He is the GURU of CL issues. NO ONE knows more than him, NO ONE.

Mr. Sam
The only exception would be Richard... but, 8vette7 is TOPS on the forum
Old 10-05-2015, 02:48 PM
muggsd27
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated the LMC5 is the way to go!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

very easy install. They could sell them for 3 or 4 times the price and they'd still be worth every penny.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 AM
ZeeOhSix597
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the LMC5 and installed it after my steering wheel locked. While the ignition was off i jerked the wheel left and right, then turned on the key and the wheel unlocked and I installed the kit. It was easy to install, I followed the instructions and watched the video.. I even purchased 2 kits and threw the spare in the trunk incase something happens to the first. At 40 bucks, its cheap insurance.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed LMC5 on my '03 Z-06 after the column locked.... it had supposedly been fixed by GM.
No issues since the easy install
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Did my install, tight but I got my fat **** in there.

Add your location to your profile, if you were near me I would certainly help!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Well, I think you've got the idea between the CLB and LMC5...

+1 on adding information in your profile.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Mr. Sam
+1 Agreed!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:49 PM
HowardPurchase
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an LMC5 in my '99 M6 about 3 weeks ago. Column wasn't locked but I heard so many stories about folks getting stranded, I had to do it. Cost me $100 by the time I got it delivered here in NL, Canada. It was pretty easy, but I did have trouble getting the last wire out of the connector. Took me a half hour of poking at it, over and over again. Finally it came out. I had to really push hard on it. Everything has been working fine ever since the install.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Tooley64
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fitted LMC5 as per instructions and also need the unlocker as steering locked. Followed exactly as instructed however steering still locked. Re installed and still locked. Also remover #23 fuse, disconnected -battery reinserted #fuse 23 and steering still locked. I even used the unlocker on a separate battery and steering still locked. I am now a little concerned. The car has been converted to right hand drive with relays removed, so I am confused on what the issue is. Could BCM be stuffed? Is there anything else I can do or missed as the installation of the LMC5 was pretty straight forward. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

A few people have had the CL bind up.

It's a mechanical issue where the lock motor plunger gets stuck. With the ignition OFF I would grab the wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, try to steer left and right real hard for a few seconds and then try to start it. You can try it with the ignition ON in case OFF does not work.

If that does not work you can go to the column and resolve it. Let us know if you need help to do that. It could be the motor is not getting power or ground to move and is just in the lock position. We could try and test for that or just jumper the motor and see.

If you get the column to unlock just make sure that while the ignition is ON and the CL is not locked, you pull that fuse so it is left "unarmed" and will not lock when you are done and move the steering wheel. Ask me how I know to do that.

Mr. Sam
Old 10-25-2015, 10:17 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

LMC5 is the way to go takes longer to read the how to do the install than the install easy to do ,just had friend get locked out of his 2002 ,people were there to help next day BAM LMC5 .. It not if its when ..

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock Bypass (CLB)

Old 10-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can do this yourself. If not, get the LMC5 and share this with your mechanic. In the interim, make sure your battery is not low. That causes almost all CL issues.

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:

If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23 in the I/P fuse box, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.

Also the 1999 and later C5's have a column lock relay that can be unplugged or else it will be powered and could fail and drain the battery. The LMC5 written guidance provides this info. This relay is above the BCM.

They also have a great install video in their eBay ads you need to watch.

Compliance Parts website: http://complianceparts.com/index.html

Mr. Sam
Tooley64, take the advice above. It's what I did whe I had a C5. Bo
Old 10-25-2015, 12:14 PM
mark03c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did mine on my 03 never had trouble and I did not want to be stranded.very easy fix
Old 10-26-2015, 02:37 PM
camaroguy72
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago my car was taken to the dealer by the previous owner and had one of the modules replaced (BCM?) for almost $1000. It was for the service column lock issue.. the car is a 2002.

I got the service column lock message while driving the car a couple weeks ago , but the lock never engaged. I've been driving the car with the message on and no problem.

That said, I ordered the column lock bypass that plugs directly into the harness under the steering column and pulled the BCM fuse to reset the message. Works fine now, although I did notice my battery voltage is getting quite low with the car off or in the accessory mode. It could have been battery related, so getting the battery tested today as well.. but at least I'll never have to worry about it locking for 20 minutes worth of work and $40.

Quick Reply: Column Lock Bypass (CLB)