Sponsored by:

Annoying noise but no vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Dave's 1st Corvette
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Annoying noise but no vibration

6) My Corvette has its original factory tires. The odometer reads about 12,000 miles (but the Corvette is 12 years old). There is no visible damage to any of the tires or wheels.

While driving, I hear a wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh coming from underneath. While driving, I cannot pinpoint the location of the source, but it is safe to say that it involves a rotating part. The rapidity of this noise increases with speed, and is most noticeable (loudest) around 45 MPH. There is no vibration that I can tell. Near my house, and on the way to work and home every day, is a long road with a brand-new asphalt surface. The road is several miles long and one section is straight for over a mile. The road has no imperfections, so the noise can be heard quite clearly and I am positive that there are no accompanying vibrations.

This brings up several questions. The tires all look to be in excellent shape and have lots of remaining tread, but they are 12-years-old. What is the real world service live of these original tires? Could a hidden imperfection in one or more be the source of this noise? Or is it more likely a wheel, pressure sensor, driveshaft, differential, or other rotating part? Might it be something simple like an out-of-balance wheel, especially considering the original tires remain on the Corvette for 12 years? Is there anything I can do or look at to narrow down the source of the noise?

Last edited by Dave's 1st Corvette; 10-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hard to say for sure what the noise is, but one thing I can say is I would get new tires. Most guidelines say 6 years or so is about the max that a set of tires should be on a car. Yours being 12 years old may have hardened over that time and could cause excessive noise. It is highly doubtful that the pressure sensors are the source of your noise.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default tire noise

It is expensive but replace those OLD run flats and get some good regular tires and you will hear and feel the difference.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 AM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just experienced the same thing yesterday. Drove an '01 owned by an older couple and the noise and vibration were very evident. I was in a hurry, so didn't check except to see they were Goodyears. I suspect they were old.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Dave's 1st Corvette
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll just have to bite the bullet and replace all 4 tires.

Run-Flats or regulars?

Which brand's tires has the lowest tire noise?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave's 1st Corvette
I'll just have to bite the bullet and replace all 4 tires. Good call

Run-Flats or regulars? I vote for NON run flats

Which brand's tires has the lowest tire noise?
Hankooks, Nitto... many good tires to choose from we are running Nitto and like them very much.

You can also do some sound deadening to REALLY help with road noise...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...heelwells.html
Old 10-21-2015, 01:25 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Even if they were only half as old they definitely sit alot, which means the sounds you are hearing could also be flat spotting. This would be a thumping sound that gets worse the faster you go. My recommendations would be either a set of Michelin Super Sports or Continental Extreme Contact DW (Summer tires) or DWS (All-Season tires).

Get notified of new replies

To Annoying noise but no vibration

Quick Reply: Annoying noise but no vibration