Sponsored by:

Replacing factory GM shocks with an electronic / adjustable suspensions

Old 11-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing factory GM shocks with an electronic / adjustable suspensions

Hello Folks,

I am a Corvette owner newbie, recently purchased a 2001 C5 base Hatchback which now has 70,000 miles. Went to replace shocks and the shop tells me they won't replace the factory shocks with other shocks, as they are electronically adjustable.

My questions are:
Are these adjustable shocks still available?

If not, and I replace them with non-electronic adjustable shocks, what are the repercussions?

With the "Traction Control" warning light stay on forever if I don't replace with factory originals?

I searched for a previous thread and didn't locate one so any help at all is much appreciated.

Help please!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyehawke
Hello Folks,

I am a Corvette owner newbie, recently purchased a 2001 C5 base Hatchback which now has 70,000 miles. Went to replace shocks and the shop tells me they won't replace the factory shocks with other shocks, as they are electronically adjustable.

My questions are:
Are these adjustable shocks still available?

If not, and I replace them with non-electronic adjustable shocks, what are the repercussions?

With the "Traction Control" warning light stay on forever if I don't replace with factory originals?

I searched for a previous thread and didn't locate one so any help at all is much appreciated.

Help please!
There was an F45 suspension option where the shocks are indeed electronically adjusted. It was kind of the first stab at the magnetic ride control option. This option I believe was available from 1996-2002. In 2003, cars equipped with this option went to the F55 option, which is on all 50th Anniversary cars.

If your car has these shocks, then your mechanic was both correct and incorrect. He was correct in saying that if you replace them one for one, you will have serious issues. I am showing those issues below.

First, your car's ECUs will not be getting any input from the shock system and will throw codes, including activation codes (ECBM related codes), as well as suspension codes.

Second, In addition to throwing suspension codes, I believe there is a governor option imposed when the shocks do not produce the correct response codes to the ECUs for this system. Therefore, you will not be able to drive at higher speeds (if memory serves me correctly it is limited to 80 MPH).

Now where your mechanic is wrong..

You can replace this system and use regular Corvette shocks but you will need to simulate the signals that your chassis ECUs are expecting. The ECUs do not know whether you are running F45 shocks or not, but they do know if the HEX CODES they are expecting are either missing or not sending the correct system OK codes.

Fortunately, you are not the first person that does not want to spend 1500.00 plus on shocks (ask me how I know), so there is a kit designed to do precisely that; fool the ECUs by sending the correct HEX Codes to the ECUs who are listening for them.

Ecklers sells Shock Simulators that you can use and then you can put regular shocks on your car (regular Corvette shocks that is like Bilsteins or factory non F45 GM shocks). Here is the link for the simulators

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1996-2002.html

There are other ways to fool the chassis ECUs, but I would not recommend disabling the chassis ECUs or turning them off completely. Many people think that only one or two ECUs are listening for the F45 suspension codes, which is not true. You are far better off getting these simulators and fooling the system into thinking all is OK, rather than just disabling the F45 system. Get it wrong and you will never be able to drive over 80 MPH. You can always reflash your ECUs of course for a price, but if those ECUs are there and listening, the reflash will see them and the codes will remain.

Hope that helps you.
The following users liked this post:
Skyehawke (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Thank you Bikeriderga, very helpful!

You said in your post:

"Fortunately, you are not the first person that does not want to spend 1500.00 plus on shocks (ask me how I know), so there is a kit designed to do precisely that; fool the ECUs by sending the correct HEX Codes to the ECUs who are listening for them."

OK, I'll bite, how do you know?

Also, are the original replacements for the F-45 still available, should I choose to spend the cash?

Once again, Thank you! I learned more from your post than several hours of surfing...

PC
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyehawke
Thank you Bikeriderga, very helpful!

You said in your post:

"Fortunately, you are not the first person that does not want to spend 1500.00 plus on shocks (ask me how I know), so there is a kit designed to do precisely that; fool the ECUs by sending the correct HEX Codes to the ECUs who are listening for them."

OK, I'll bite, how do you know?

Also, are the original replacements for the F-45 still available, should I choose to spend the cash?

Once again, Thank you! I learned more from your post than several hours of surfing...

PC
Ur insane to spend that money on a dated inferior setup. C6 Z06 shocks and the simulators.
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/corvette.../56upgradekit/

What your saying is hey my stock cassette player broke im willing to pay $1500 for a new replacement to keep everything original. These aren't collector cars.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Ur insane to spend that money on a dated inferior setup. C6 Z06 shocks and the simulators.
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/corvette.../56upgradekit/

What your saying is hey my stock cassette player broke im willing to pay $1500 for a new replacement to keep everything original. These aren't collector cars.
No, that isn't at all what I am saying. Someone who wishes to keep their motorcycle, boat, airplane, house or C5 in original condition is anything but insane. Further, collectable or not, what I choose to spend money on for my possessions (not yours), is for personal satisfaction. In other words, what makes "me" happy.

My Father collected Hudsons, owned seven at one time. They were not overly valuable monetarily, they were simply what he "liked" and made him happy.

Yanno, I've been a pilot a long time and know many aviators who restore some of the most unlikely planes and spend a fortune doing it. Not because the plane is valuable, in fact often times there is far more invested than they are worth. But guess what? It makes them happy.

So the bottom line is, if someone spends their money on what makes them happy, it doesn't make them insane, but rather, content.

Thanks for the comment, it gave me a chuckle.
The following 4 users liked this post by Skyehawke:
jrbartholomew (07-23-2019), rrichar2591 (11-09-2015), Sam Handwich (11-09-2015), t1fudd (07-23-2019)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I owned a C5 which had the same shock option. Unless you have a personal need to keep the stock original shocks your car had, I wouldn't waste the money. I felt the system worked terribly and you really couldn't tell the difference in the shock settings. BTW, do you have the console **** that changes the settings, because if you don't, you don't have the electronic shocks. I ask that because you didn't mention anything to confirm that. There are several shock options you could do that will outperform the original shocks in handling and ride quality. '04 Z06 shocks would be an excellent and affordable upgrade.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My used 03 came to me with the electronic shocks removed, and removed from the computers agenda by a reprograming . I like this better then adding electronic complexity with mimic senders which might act up and cause me all kinds of trouble, as my skill set is low.

My car was lowered by a previous owner, and had just gotten new Bilstein HD shocks. when I enquired about restoring the original set up, my experienced alignment guy didn't think much of the idea, saying I would be wasting money on obsolete tech, and suggested coil overs as the way to go, if I was interested.
I was more concerned about having all the interior switches work than spending a bunch of money on stuff the car didn't need, like retro shocks .

I had no idea the factory set up was pricy. For that money, I would have to agree with my alignment guy, and go modern. However, the car is completely satisfactory as I got it, if you avoid all potholes.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

My car does have the selectable suspension, and finding the F45 shocks new is going to be likely close to $3,000 give or take, so either re-programing or simulators is likely what I'll do when the shocks need replaced.

As it turns out, they are still servicable, so I have some time to consider.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

PC
Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Default Reprogaming vs F45 simulators...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate someone in the Fort Lauderdale area that can reprogram my vehicles computer to a non-F45 suspension configuration?

This seems more practical than simulators.

I do not know myself which is the safest, most desirable method, so your comments are appreciated.

Thanks folks

PC
Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Keep searching for someone with a Tech 2 to program the F45 out and install a set of C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 shocks - you will be very happy you did and your wallet will thank you. You can go to the regional east coast/southern section of this forum and inquire there if anyone in the vicinity has a Tech 2 and is willing to help you. I replaced my almost-new F45 shocks and FE1 springs (less than 8k miles on my '02 C5) with LG GT2 coil overs and the cost was comparable to replacing the F45 shocks with new ones but I'd recommend you go with the stock C5Z or C6 Z shocks unless you are going racing. I have a Tech 2 to program F45 out of my BCM but I'm on the left coast so, no help to you.

LG GT2 Coilover

F45 components removed

Last edited by Patches; 12-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Skyehawke
7th Gear

Thank you Patches, great idea! I have done just as you suggested and thank you for your insights.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591104693

Have a great, safe Holiday Season!

PC
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Here's a great deal for C6 Z06 rear shocks for $150, brand new in box. These go for $200 normally.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ocks-bnib.html

Just need to order the fronts from Cultrag (vendor here) or some other source and you're good.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM
WoodyJohnson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was searching for some info on replacing my f45 shocks on my stock 01 Base convertible with the console **** suspension adjuster, so I'm bumping this thread to see if there are newer options. Is there a newer system that allows you to keep the adjustment **** setup if you upgrade from the F45 set up? Or any setup that is electronically/remotely adjustable? I live in a remote area of New England so I'm looking for the best set up for handling on mountainous curvy roads where the occasional situation crops up where I have to dodge a moose.

Last edited by WoodyJohnson; 07-22-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing factory GM shocks with an electronic / adjustable suspensions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing factory GM shocks with an electronic / adjustable suspensions