Sponsored by:

A $330 Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by thealien
My reasoning for changing before storage is to get rid of the by products and contamination of combustion. Acids etc?
Mine too........
Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default dirty diaper?

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
For those who debate whether to change the oil before or after your Vette's winter nap, just think about this. Would you rather have old, contaminated oil sitting in the crankcase for that three to four month period of time, or would you rather have new, clean oil in it during that time? Just something to think about.

Glad I don't have to think about it, cuz I get to drive my Vette year round.
Here is another way to look at it: Would you put your baby down for a 3-month nap with a dirty, stinky diaper? (Would you want to go take a nap wearing a dirty diaper?)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

It's the same contaminated oil in it if you drive or store it over the winter. Except if you store it in cold weather the moisture in the crankcase condenses and you have water in the oil for a few months. Pull off the oil cap when it's below zero and you will see the condensation inside the cap.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I think of it as it just sitting in the pan no big deal, really condensation was a bigger deal in the old days, now with much much better oil and aluminum engines maybe not so much !!!! that said in the spring I want my engine with fresh oil ?????
Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
I think of it as it just sitting in the pan no big deal, really condensation was a bigger deal in the old days, now with much much better oil and aluminum engines maybe not so much !!!! that said in the spring I want my engine with fresh oil ?????
In the spring when I see the condensation on the inside of the filler cap I want new oil in the engine. Water in oil breaks down the additives and creates sludge. Maybe not as much now, but I prefer to get that oil with water out and start the driving season fresh.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Here is another way to look at it: Would you put your baby down for a 3-month nap with a dirty, stinky diaper? (Would you want to go take a nap wearing a dirty diaper?)
I'm not quite wearing diapers yet...
I think of it more like; do I really want to run my motor in the spring on oil that's been sitting in the pan all winter.
Curious; what harm could dirty oil do in the pan over winter? It's just sitting in the pan...
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by hoosiervette
If you are near me, I'll do it for nothing. Grind most of the old weld off, then mig weld. Probably can do it without taking it off.

Appreciate it, but I'm in the Lehigh Valley, PA. Thanks anyway.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JR-01
In the spring when I see the condensation on the inside of the filler cap I want new oil in the engine. Water in oil breaks down the additives and creates sludge. Maybe not as much now, but I prefer to get that oil with water out and start the driving season fresh.
That's what I meant !!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

If it's new oil that's been sitting in the crankcase all winter, it's still going to be new oil when you start the engine up in the spring. Any condensation (if there is any) is going to burn off very quickly as soon as the oil heats up. You people who are so worried about condensation are missing the point.
The 2nd question was more important, what harm is the old oil doing just sitting in the pan?
And I really doubt the oil won't drain as well. It's had all winter to seep down (and I never change my oil warm anyway, just never happens).
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

If you change your oil in April and October...mission complete.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Cheaper to move to Texas and drive the car year-around! Several million illegals can't be wrong!
Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 AM
I dream of vettes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always change my oil within a few weeks of putting it in storage for the winter. I think it's better to have fresh oil sitting in the car for 5 months rather then leaving the old and changing it as soon as I pull it out in the spring.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Black 00 Coup
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
put headers and a new x pipe on !!!!!!!!!!!!! also I don't believe in changing the oil and then letting it sit,do it in the spring or if it's in a heated place don't change until its due !!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:57 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

It's not "just sitting in the pan," it's coating all the internals of the engine, and it's contaminated from running through the engine for thousands of miles. New oil in the engine hasn't been contaminated yet. And you're better off draining the oil when it's at least warm, but if you want to drain it cold, that's up to you.
So I'm assuming then that you drive the car after the oil change before you store it. You don't change the oil then let it sit until spring? Nobody has mentioned this (critical) step that I've seen. Otherwise the old oil is still what's coating the internals.
As for changing when it's warm, agreed; the best choice.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

First off, I don't store my Vette, I drive it year round (perhaps you missed it where I previously said that in post #23). Secondly, IF I had to store it, then yes, I would change the oil before putting into storage but I'd also drive it around a little (at least enough to get it up to operating temp) in order to get the new oil circulated well throughout the engine before putting away for the winter. Again, I'm lucky I don't have to do this (not drive it for months), but that's what I'd do if I wasn't so lucky.
I did not recall you not storing your car, no.
Although I am still fine with not having changed my oil before driving it up on ramps, it's interesting that I've never recalled seeing anybody make mention of what's IMO one of the most critical steps for a DIY winter oil changer...
If you change it before storing run it/drive it after the oil change. Otherwise for sure wait until spring.
Regardless, even though GM states to do in the winter (I wonder if telling customers to change their oil earlier, GM taking in a few 100,000 oil changes in the fall instead of the following spring has anything to do with that), I still don't like the idea of starting up my motor with oil that's been sitting for 3-4 months.
I get both sides, but I'll stick to mine... for this winter for sure. Just got a little over an inch of snow last night, good thing I switched to the winter car last weekend.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. After all, GM doesn't manufacture the oil ,which is the much more costly component of an oil change vs the cost of the filter (and many, and perhaps most, of us don't even use the GM brand filter...I for one don't). Furthermore, doing an oil change before winter storage vs after doesn't change the number of oil changes. It's still just one oil change, not two. It only changes the timing.

I feel sorry for people who live up in the northern states as well as you Canadians who have to store your Vettes for months and don't have the pleasure of driving them year round. But we all make choices, whether it's where we live or when we do our oil changes.
I store mine but my garage is heated (in floor heat,very nice) so when I put mine away I had 1700 on the oil, I will change it at around 5000. Also I will do a bunch of work on it, if I get into the engine for what ever reason I most likely would change the oil !!! (I keep the heat above 62)
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. After all, GM doesn't manufacture the oil ,which is the much more costly component of an oil change vs the cost of the filter (and many, and perhaps most, of us don't even use the GM brand filter...I for one don't). Furthermore, doing an oil change before winter storage vs after doesn't change the number of oil changes. It's still just one oil change, not two. It only changes the timing.

I feel sorry for people who live up in the northern states as well as you Canadians who have to store your Vettes for months and don't have the pleasure of driving them year round. But we all make choices, whether it's where we live or when we do our oil changes.
Timing is huge in the automotive industry, but I agree, unlikely the reason they state this.
I love where I live, but yes, having to store the Z for winter kinda sucks. Something to look forward to, and I do drive a 325i for the winter months last year and this however (what was my DD before the Z purchase last spring), not exactly a horrible vehicle.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To A $330 Oil Change?

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grantv
Timing is huge in the automotive industry, but I agree, unlikely the reason they state this.
I love where I live, but yes, having to store the Z for winter kinda sucks. Something to look forward to, and I do drive a 325i for the winter months last year and this however (what was my DD before the Z purchase last spring), not exactly a horrible vehicle.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

From what i have been reading, It seems it doesn't matter when you change before or after winter. These motors are able to handle it. For me i have done it both ways before and after with no ill affect. Although I do drive my car when ever possible during the winter. I never put it in the garage and say its not coming out till spring.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

For the people that store their vehicles, do you not fire them up and let the oil come up to temperature occasionally during the storage period?

Quick Reply: A $330 Oil Change?