C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Therapy Session 1: Help me justify a vette purchase

Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,216 Likes on 13,927 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by roadbike56
When it comes to buying a Corvette, I insist on a "No Excuses" car. In the long run they are almost always the least expensive.
especially when there is a list of problem areas already known. For a few thousand more than that car, you should be able to find one with a lot less (major) issues or none at all and with less miles/no engine swap. Yes, you may have to travel beyond your local area to find one, but so what - road trips are good (I bought mine 1400 miles away and drove it home).

But ultimately you have to decide what's best for you. Take the advice of members that have owned a C5 for years or not, your choice. If you are competent with a wrench, perhaps you can fix the car for a decent amount, but you just never know what unknowns are lurking out there.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to all for the responses, I really do appreciate the honesty. I'm still on the fence but doing a little more research about the potential repairs. As of now I'm not intimidated by the known-repairs and speculation only holds so much weight.

Yes I am frugal and budget minded. One of my appeals to the corvette is that it is not exotic and the parts seems to be cheap since there is a lot of standardization in the Chevy line-up of this era. I've been working on my Infiniti (with 220k on the clock) and even the used parts always seem to be premium priced.

The MPG argument could be a thread of its own and I think this thread may be reaching its full potential, I sense the trolls are coming out.

Originally Posted by sirdano
Find out what code are in the CEL light first. Could be minor or something major
Yes thats a good idea.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:04 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
especially when there is a list of problem areas already known. For a few thousand more than that car, you should be able to find one with a lot less (major) issues or none at all and with less miles/no engine swap. Yes, you may have to travel beyond your local area to find one, but so what - road trips are good (I bought mine 1400 miles away and drove it home).

But ultimately you have to decide what's best for you. Take the advice of members that have owned a C5 for years or not, your choice. If you are competent with a wrench, perhaps you can fix the car for a decent amount, but you just never know what unknowns are lurking out there.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
I promise I am listening. I just think anything more is out of budget. However I feel more likely to talk the seller down now on price.

I tell you its hard to get excited looking at other car models when a vette is on the table.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Noooooooooooooooo.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

FWIW, the LS-3 engine is worth almost the asking price.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

How is no one else questioning the fact that it's apparently a 6.0 ls3?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 AM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

This is up to $7,100 on eBay right now if that helps your decision

Old 11-23-2015, 03:49 PM
RueBurgundy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

As long as the engine is what is being claimed you're at no huge loss even if the rest of the car melts. I say do it. Nothing more fun than taking a calculated risk. I kind of regret not buying something similar myself.

Last edited by RueBurgundy; 11-23-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phanni
FWIW, the LS-3 engine is worth almost the asking price.
Originally Posted by RueBurgundy
As long as the engine is what is being claimed you're at no huge loss even if the rest of the car melts. I say do it. Nothing more fun than taking a calculated risk. I kind of regret not buying something similar myself.
Thank you!! Those are my thoughts exactly. I recognize that there is risk but what used car purchase doesn't have it to some degree?

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
How is no one else questioning the fact that it's apparently a 6.0 ls3?
I think everyone is fixated on the fact that the car needs a couple repairs and in the future will need even more repairs. But if you're having doubts, the seller is a long-time family friend. I don't think he's going to lie about it and he's been pretty up front about everything. He could easily say nothing and let me find out everything for myself.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by chillin014
....I think everyone is fixated on the fact that the car needs a couple repairs and in the future will need even more repairs. But if you're having doubts, the seller is a long-time family friend. I don't think he's going to lie about it and he's been pretty up front about everything. He could easily say nothing and let me find out everything for myself.
Just a quick question, are you aware of what's involved in removing the transmission, and possibly the torque tube, from a C-5 Corvette?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting thread. I have only had my C5 for a little over a week now, so take this for what its worth. I sold my C3 and just happened onto the C5 the next day, after driving it I was instantly sold! What an amazing car, I have only driven it a couple hundred miles and I can tell you I have not been this excited about a car in 40 years and that includes a couple of C3's. I bought my car within the budget you stated, granted it is an automatic base car with 83K miles and a couple mods, but what a pleasure it is to drive. Good luck with what ever you decide is best for you. I wish I had not waited to enter the world of the C5 for so long they really are the perfect vehicle in my opinion. Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

My point is that the ls3 is a 6.2, so either you're mistaken or he doesn't know what he has. The latter of the two would scare me out of buying the car.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
My point is that the ls3 is a 6.2, so either you're mistaken or he doesn't know what he has. The latter of the two would scare me out of buying the car.
He wasn't the one saying "6 liter"- I was. He told me it was an engine out of a C6. So I guess that's an LS2? I'll see if I can find out for sure.

Originally Posted by mike48750
Interesting thread. I have only had my C5 for a little over a week now, so take this for what its worth. I sold my C3 and just happened onto the C5 the next day, after driving it I was instantly sold! What an amazing car, I have only driven it a couple hundred miles and I can tell you I have not been this excited about a car in 40 years and that includes a couple of C3's. I bought my car within the budget you stated, granted it is an automatic base car with 83K miles and a couple mods, but what a pleasure it is to drive. Good luck with what ever you decide is best for you. I wish I had not waited to enter the world of the C5 for so long they really are the perfect vehicle in my opinion. Mike
Honestly I never thought I'd be able to afford a Corvette so I never even considered one. Plus there is the practicality aspect. But I've been dreaming about this one every since my father-in law told me about it. The guy has been holding onto it and I feel like I have to make a move for my own sanity.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just a quick question, are you aware of what's involved in removing the transmission, and possibly the torque tube, from a C-5 Corvette?
You almost scared me. I just looked it up and it doesn't look so bad. Not like you have to remove the engine or anything. I've always found FWD transmissions to be more of a pain in the ***.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by chillin014

I think everyone is fixated on the fact that the car needs a couple repairs and in the future will need even more repairs. But if you're having doubts, the seller is a long-time family friend. I don't think he's going to lie about it and he's been pretty up front about everything. He could easily say nothing and let me find out everything for myself.
Tire condition hasn't been mentioned --
you can easily spend another $600 - $1.200 if they need to be replaced.

Last edited by raff; 11-23-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Truth is, it is a project car.That type of project takes time and a budget that allows for unknown expenses.If you enjoy spending time in the garage and can purchase repair parts then its your time and money.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Mazda speed 3 will fit that bill, a modified c5 is not a good choice for a frugal strict household budget IMO
Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 PM
c51stvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like you enjoy working on cars and have the tools and time. I would double check the condition of the engine and maybe check with some other experts about the compatibility of the computer. If you've got the engine and transmission covered then really those are the most expensive assemblies on the car. Go for it.
The following users liked this post:
chillin014 (11-23-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Therapy Session 1: Help me justify a vette purchase

Old 11-23-2015, 10:02 PM
chillin014
Instructor

I think I'm going to move forward with the purchase within the next week. Despite the discouraging responses I have considered many factors and I think I should give it a shot.

Originally Posted by raff
Tire condition hasn't been mentioned --
you can easily spend another $600 - $1.200 if they need to be replaced.
good point. i'll have to take a closer look.

Originally Posted by CalF
Truth is, it is a project car.That type of project takes time and a budget that allows for unknown expenses.If you enjoy spending time in the garage and can purchase repair parts then its your time and money.
I do enjoy it actually! I've driven cars with swaps and loose ends for a majority of my driving years. Maybe I am accustomed to the uncertainty that comes with it.

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Mazda speed 3 will fit that bill, a modified c5 is not a good choice for a frugal strict household budget IMO
I like the MS3 but want something a little more mature looking. I agree with your logic though. I think I'm going to let my emotions play a hand in this situation. If it gets out of control I've got an exit strategy.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you dont mind throwing at least a few grand at it and you can do all the labor yourself, allow for what ifs, oh xxx stuff go for it
If you plan to make a profit forget it. Even with a newer motor its a high mile C5. go with your gut
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

HEY!! I mentioned tires!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Therapy Session 1: Help me justify a vette purchase