Sponsored by:

What is the best Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What is the best Big Brake Kit

I have seen C5s with the C6 Z06 brakes and this seems to be a popular mod.

I have never seen the C6 ZR1 carbon brakes on a C5, nor the Baer 6 piston..

The car is a weekend car, that gets driven hard. Occasional road course, and 1/2 mile event.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
What is the best Big Brake Kit
What is your definition of "best"? Best initial bite? Least amount of fade? Longest wear resistance? Is price an object?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I have never seen the C6 ZR1 carbon brakes on a C5
CF member "Pumba"...
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I have never seen

the Baer 6 piston
Danny Popp's car. Baer 6-piston front and rear...
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Best I would say would be less fade, better bite, increased stopping distance, and longevity on the track.

Able to slow a car down from 180+ with no issues.

Cost is an issue... would like to stay under 4k if possible.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-kits.html

Better move fast.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:49 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

never heard of AP racing.. Are they new?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:52 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

AP Racing has been around for like 50 years. Based out of the UK.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FYRARMS; 11-30-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:01 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

I think I want to stay with products either native to the corvette or made in the USA.
Baer is in AZ...
Old 11-30-2015, 02:17 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

That AP deal is a steal, best price I've ever seen on those.

That said, I have the factory C6Z brakes and am very happy. I bought the entire kit with OEM caliper/rotor/pads for 1799 along with stainless lines, off ebay like 6 years ago. When the OEM rotors and pads needed replacing I went with Coleman 2-piece rotors and Hawk HPS pads. These upgrades made a huge difference.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I think I want to stay with products either native to the corvette or made in the USA.
Baer is in AZ...
Take a quick look at how many Sprint Cup cars use AP.

Oh, and the C7R does too as far as I know.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 11-30-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Wilwood has the widest selection of street replacement to carbon ceramic racing brakes for C5 and C6. The pad shape they use are also less expensive than C6Z replacement padlets or 1 piece pads. Call Todd at TCE for options, he is Wilwood distributor and a sponsor on CF.

I have the Baer 6S Extreme kit all 4 corners, pads are expensive and rotor rings about in the middle on price. The kit is very expensive IMO, wouldn't pay that much again. You don't know how much you don't know about brakes until you start doing genuine research and speak with the experts. Like most things in life...you get what you pay for and usually a high up-front cost for top shelf goods = lower cost of ownership over the life of the product.

Research threads in the Autocross-Roadrace section, it will provide common sense answers to your questions. Members posting in that section share common goals of spending time on track and being frugal with their money so they can spend time on track.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:59 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the props. I often approach that question differently.

What's the best brake kit? Best for what?

It's easy to say brand A, B or C but there are countless variables here. I often ask three basic questions to zero in on needs:

1. Wheel fit; both diameter and spoke clearance. 17, 18s, 19s??

2. Intended use; street creed, drag racing, open track days. Be honest with yourself too. If you drive it to work every day it's not like a hard core track car. How many days do you really beat on it for 45min per year, per month?

3. Budget; sure it's a Vette and carries that premium price tag..we all know that. But you don't need to drop $5k to get a good brake kit. Doesn't mean you can't however.

In the end pick two. You won't get the largest for less, spend the most on the smallest or get the race kit ideal for wheel fit....

Some kits offer Carbon options, doesn't mean it's better. Just costs more. Others show off their race creed, that's fine but the kits you buy from most vendors are not the same parts you see on that Le Mans entry. Some kits cost less being fit with stock rotors, others with 2pc. Both floating and fixed mount.

Replacement costs and service parts can be a hidden consideration. One piece from Autozone...$65ea. Two piece from Brand X upwards of $400ea...or Carbon? Don't ask just give your cc. Many of the floating design while offering improved expansion and flex fitting benefits also have a shorter shelf life of the hat- they get pounded on by the bobbins that attach them to the rotor. And perhaps $200 or so to replace every rotor service.

Fat pad are great for 24hr event. Bu t the cost a bundle and can compromise wheel spoke clearance requiring spc wheels or spacers while providing nothing for the daily driver need. Too thin a pad and they wear out too quickly and transfer too much heat to the caliper.

Like the looks? Sure more hard core race parts are hard andodized for both durability and heat shed purposes. While others are powder coated for long life and great looks. And for the record; who cares if someone buys it for looks. I don't judge, I've often felt those who do are more jealous of the purchase because they don't have one than really offering up constructive information. If you like it; buy it.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 11-30-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Todd TCE

1. Wheel fit; both diameter and spoke clearance. 17, 18s, 19s??
I have 18's all the way around now, but they wont clear a BBK, so I'm thinking new wheels in a 19/20 combo or 19/19.

2. Intended use; street creed, drag racing, open track days. Be honest with yourself too. If you drive it to work every day it's not like a hard core track car. How many days do you really beat on it for 45min per year, per month?
This is a weekend car, that sees short course road racing, and 1/2 mile timed events.

3. Budget; sure it's a Vette and carries that premium price tag..we all know that. But you don't need to drop $5k to get a good brake kit. Doesn't mean you can't however. I would like to stay under 4k for all 4 corners.

In the end pick two. You won't get the largest for less, spend the most on the smallest or get the race kit ideal for wheel fit....

Some kits offer Carbon options, doesn't mean it's better. Just costs more. Others show off their race creed, that's fine but the kits you buy from most vendors are not the same parts you see on that Le Mans entry. Some kits cost less being fit with stock rotors, others with 2pc. Both floating and fixed mount.

Replacement costs and service parts can be a hidden consideration. One piece from Autozone...$65ea. Two piece from Brand X upwards of $400ea...or Carbon? Don't ask just give your cc. Many of the floating design while offering improved expansion and flex fitting benefits also have a shorter shelf life of the hat- they get pounded on by the bobbins that attach them to the rotor. And perhaps $200 or so to replace every rotor service.

Fat pad are great for 24hr event. Bu t the cost a bundle and can compromise wheel spoke clearance requiring spc wheels or spacers while providing nothing for the daily driver need. Too thin a pad and they wear out too quickly and transfer too much heat to the caliper.

Like the looks? Sure more hard core race parts are hard andodized for both durability and heat shed purposes. While others are powder coated for long life and great looks. And for the record; who cares if someone buys it for looks. I don't judge, I've often felt those who do are more jealous of the purchase because they don't have one than really offering up constructive information. If you like it; buy it.
I am thinking C6 Z06 calipers, 2 piece rotors, with 1 piece pads.
What say you?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:12 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I am thinking C6 Z06 calipers, 2 piece rotors, with 1 piece pads.
What say you?

No horse in that race but...

A lot of used Z06 calipers for sale as many take them off and replace with aftermarket. That's a bit of a red flag. But then again for light duty use they're probably fine.

Replacing with 2pc hat/rotor will set you back upwards of a grand. A bit lighter for sure, properly vaned, directional...won't truly do anything for improved braking tho. Size is size and that's the same. Most tend to go the other way; caliper kits on one piece. Seems those funds are better put toward a proper full kit. From anyone.

Swapping the 'padletts' for a one pieces; may be something out there I'm not personally aware of what. But you can be sure it'll be limited compounds and not cheap. A few hundred pads vs tens of thousands. In both cases more costly than most of the aftermarket.

Other opinions welcome.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 11-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

C6Z stuff is good for marginally better than stock performance and far better aesthetic appeal. For competitive use a little bit more money goes a long way as the C6Z stuff has proven it's shortfalls over and over. I went C6Z simply because I don't use the car for auto-x or road racing events, street car that sees some high speed stuff. I did Racing Brake 2 piece front and rear rotors with my setup and all in all with pads and lines, powdercoating, etc, I'm in it total for about $2750 and I got a KILLER deal on the rotors (half price). A little more would fund a nice Wilwood or Stoptech setup that uses FAR cheaper pads and doesn't have the issues the C6Z stuff does for track usage.

Figure out what you plan to dedicate the car to in terms of use, then purchase based around that.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use BAER, but it forces you to use wheels that clear. There are options to choose now with the same braking performance and no clearance issue.

Plus, you couldn't do BAER at all four at what you want to spend.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best Big Brake Kit

Old 12-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I am a VERY happy AP Racing Endurance BBK package I purchased. It works phenomenally.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

My 2c:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...all-on-c6.html
Old 12-03-2015, 04:07 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Brembo, front 15'' 8 piston, rear 14'' 4 piston