Sponsored by:

Got taken by dealer?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:05 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Got taken by dealer?!?!?!

Hey Everyone. I'm not a very happy camper right now to say the least!!! We live in NC and drove 6+ hrs to WV to purchase a 2000 Corvette with only 31,xxx miles on it! Dealer was wonderful during the entire phone conversations and helped us obtain a loan for the balance of purchase (had more than 50% down)! He told me he doesn't buy junk cars and the tires were brand new z rated BFs!

Got there close to closing and did the walk around, took for test drive, and everything seemed fine. It was a cold, windy and very cloudy raining off and on day. Even hit snow on the way up and that night snowed while at the hotel!! Dealer told us he was giving us 30 day warranty, which we never got to look at since he had all the other paperwork in an envelope already, while we were signing other docs.

Let hubby drive home most of the way (since this would be my main vehicle and only driven on nice days and garaged otherwise). He didn't notice anything wrong. Took it to show my daughter 1 hour away the next night and we both noticed squealing from engine compartment and a rotating vibration in rear end at 65mph and over!!

Checked out the noise in garage next day and noticed harmonic balancer wobbling around a little. Tried a little belt dressing to no avail to stop the squeaking. Called the dealer next day to let him know what we've found. Told us to bring to mechanic we trust and have him call him to let him know what they found.

On way to mechanic, noticed temp went up to 220 at stop light also, then went down a little once I started going again. Our mechanic found we needed new balancer, water pump, 2 belts and thermostat! (Total bill to be $1436!!, not including another $1100+ for tires!!) Upon further investigation from mechanic at shop who has owned a ton of corvettes and knows his ****, found our vibration problem!! Upon very close inspection of the tires, there were dry rot cracks between the tread and a flat spot on them. They agreed they looked great standing and looking at them without bending down and getting real close! Never did get into the u-joint where the dealer thought the vibration could be coming from since mechanic found the tires in that condition. Mechanic also said that if it was the u-joint, we'd be feeling that vibration all the the time. (Hubby doesn't agree....)

I called dealer to let him know what the shop found and he immediately started raising his voice, got mad and said there's no way he's paying for a water pump if it's not leaking (water pump is squealing also!), not paying for tires, and would only pay for balancer and belts and that's it!!! My husband piped up and said now wait a minute!! You told us you put brand new tires on it and you didn't buy junk. Now we have all these issues we shouldn't be dealing with whatsoever!! They argued for a minute and dealer hung up on us!!! He shortly called back saying he didn't want to argue and told us to have the shop call him! Husband did tell him that maybe we should bring it back and get our money back! Dealer said bring it back, but better be in same shape and you got it in!!! My mechanic tried calling him shortly after 5 and he never answered (supposed to be open til 6, plus it was cell phone number I gave him)!!!!

Haven't driven car since day after got it home and has been in shop since Tuesday night! Have searched and waited over 3 months to get a vette with low miles and this is what we got!!!

My biggest question is what recourse do we have? I did look up online and found out WV does have implied warranties from dealers! We also have a loan now (which we haven't in over 15 years), but haven't even had to make first payment yet. Don't know what to do and if we can get out of the loan and get our money back from him, if he refuses to pay for the remaining items that need replacing! We don't have the money to fix ourselves right now, nevermind over $1100 for tires!

I'm devastated, depressed, angry, heartbroken and isn't the way to bring in the New Year!!!!! Any lawyers out there, or someone who knows one in the WV area that could give us some advice or direction we should go in would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by CindysC5; 01-01-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:23 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The tires will have a date code. Check their age. If the dealer said they were new then they should be from 2015...good luck.

Originally Posted by CindysC5
Hey Everyone. I'm not a very happy camper right now to say the least!!! We live in NC and drove 6+ hrs to WV to purchase a 2000 Corvette with only 31,xxx miles on it! Dealer was wonderful during the entire phone conversations and helped us obtain a loan for the balance of purchase (had more than 50% down)! He told me he doesn't buy junk cars and the tires were brand new z rated BFs!

Got there close to closing and did the walk around, took for test drive, and everything seemed fine. It was a cold, windy and very cloudy raining off and on day. Even hit snow on the way up and that night snowed while at the hotel!! Dealer told us he was giving us 30 day warranty, which we never got to look at since he had all the other paperwork in an envelope already, while we were signing other docs.

Let hubby drive home most of the way (since this would be my main vehicle and only driven on nice days and garaged otherwise). He didn't notice anything wrong. Took it to show my daughter 1 hour away the next night and we both noticed squealing from engine compartment and a rotating vibration in rear end at 65mph and over!!

Checked out the noise in garage next day and noticed harmonic balancer wobbling around a little. Tried a little belt dressing to no avail to stop the squeaking. Called the dealer next day to let him know what we've found. Told us to bring to mechanic we trust and have him call him to let him know what they found.

On way to mechanic, noticed temp went up to 220 at stop light also, then went down a little once I started going again. Our mechanic found we needed new balancer, water pump, 2 belts and thermostat! (Total bill to be $1436!!, not including another $1100+ for tires!!) Upon further investigation from mechanic at shop who has owned a ton of corvettes and knows his ****, found our vibration problem!! Upon very close inspection of the tires, there were dry rot cracks between the tread and a flat spot on them. They agreed they looked great standing and looking at them without bending down and getting real close! Never did get into the u-joint where the dealer thought the vibration could be coming from since mechanic found the tires in that condition. Mechanic also said that if it was the u-joint, we'd be feeling that vibration all the the time. (Hubby doesn't agree....)

I called dealer to let him know what the shop found and he immediately started raising his voice, got mad and said there's no way he's paying for a water pump if it's not leaking (water pump is squealing also!), not paying for tires, and would only pay for balancer and belts and that's it!!! My husband piped up and said now wait a minute!! You told us you put brand new tires on it and you didn't buy junk. Now we have all these issues we shouldn't be dealing with whatsoever!! They argued for a minute and dealer hung up on us!!! He shortly called back saying he didn't want to argue and told us to have the shop call him! Husband did tell him that maybe we should bring it back and get our money back! Dealer said bring it back, but better be in same shape and you got it in!!! My mechanic tried calling him shortly after 5 and he never answered (supposed to be open til 6, plus it was cell phone number I gave him)!!!!

Haven't driven car since day after got it home and has been in shop since Tuesday night! Have searched and waited over 3 months to get a vette with low miles and this is what we got!!!

My biggest question is what recourse do we have? I did look up online and found out WV does have implied warranties from dealers! We also have a loan now (which we haven't in over 15 years), but haven't even had to make first payment yet. Don't know what to do and if we can get out of the loan and get our money back from him, if he refuses to pay for the remaining items that need replacing! We don't have the money to fix ourselves right now, nevermind over $1100 for tires!

I'm devastated, depressed, angry, heartbroken and isn't the way to bring in the New Year!!!!! Any lawyers out there, or someone who knows one in the WV area that could give us some advice or direction we should go in would be greatly appreciated!!
The following users liked this post:
CindysC5 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Now just settle down and don't get a heart attack. Nothing is written in stone and come Monday call the dealership...be calm and don't threaten the salesman with lawsuits etc but reason with them. I am sure they know your position by now and will have a solution all of you will be happy with. Don't let this little bump in the road rob you of the joy of a Corvette. Now relax and enjoy your weekend and have a Happy New Year! All will work out. Greetings, Rob
Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I would try to get out of the car if all possible.

However as the dealer I would really question the need of the waterpump and thermostat.

Your operating temp is perfectly normal for a factory car.

The crank pulley is a common issue that pops up on these motors.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by El original
Now just settle down and don't get a heart attack. Nothing is written in stone and come Monday call the dealership...be calm and don't threaten the salesman with lawsuits etc but reason with them. I am sure they know your position by now and will have a solution all of you will be happy with. Don't let this little bump in the road rob you of the joy of a Corvette. Now relax and enjoy your weekend and have a Happy New Year! All will work out. Greetings, Rob
Thanks Rob for your vote of confidence!! We shall soon find out what will be on Monday! Will keep you informed!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OKZ06
I would try to get out of the car if all possible.

However as the dealer I would really question the need of the waterpump and thermostat.

Your operating temp is perfectly normal for a factory car.

The crank pulley is a common issue that pops up on these motors.
Thank you for your reply! Good to know that's the normal operating temp! I do know that while replacing the balancer, it's always a good idea to replace water pump too, especially if mechanics are hearing squeaking from that also! Tires definitely need replacing by dealer....no ifs ands or buts!

We'll see what happens Monday!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck on Monday. Hope it all works out.

Just what does the 30-day warranty say? Is there a provision to return the car within a certain period of time for a refund? What does the dealer mean bring it back but it better be in the same shape as when you picked it up - hard to do if there are so many issues cropping up?
Old 01-01-2016, 10:04 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

CindysC5,
I am certainly not a lawyer, and sorry to read about your situation about the dealership not standing behind their verbal warranty's, but by putting myself in your shoes, I would first start with getting written documentation and any video by your mechanic with date and time at his shop documenting and showing all the issues with the Vette. Did you by chance pull any checks on codes(DIC). You have that 30 day warranty to stand behind, but you need to read it all, down to the fine print. If the dealer verbally expressed that he would take said vehicle back, I would seriously consider taking that option since he has already shown that he is not a very professional or truthful person. There's a lot of nice Corvettes out there to buy, so don't pigeon hole yourself to this individual because you bought a car from him. You have numerous rights in regards to this type of transaction and I suggest that you and your husband take the high road and 'not' enter into a pissing contest, especially if this has to go to court for settlement actions. Good luck, and hope you get this resolved amicably.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I would want the Balancer and Belts with Labor Covered From the dealer you bought it from. those items were "broken" when you bought it.
Also, Check the date code on tires.. Maybe they are "NEW" according to treadwear, but are like say 5 years old... If they stated NEW, then they should be less than a year old regardless of treadwear.
Unfortunately, on a "low mile" used car of any make/model. the tire thing could be an issue depending on how its looked at.
The water pump, thermostat, hoses, just like spark plugs, oil, brakes, etc
are a regular maintenance item and I personally would replace them and expect to replaced them on ANY used car. Esp one that is 16 years old....
Mind you, I'm not siding with the deception of that dealer... just giving you an opinion of what a third party sees as "fair".

you will get the used car issues worked out soon and LOVE being a member of the corvette community soon.
My 110K 2000 vert I would put up against any car new or old in an endurance contest
Old 01-01-2016, 10:15 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

220 degrees at stoplight is perfectly normal and there are no u-joints in these cars. When you buy any 15 year old car you can not expect it to be perfect. I replaced belts and pulleys on my 01 when I bought it. The noise could be a pulley. I doubt if it needs a water pump. Now if the date code on the tires is older than a year or 2 the salesman owes you new tires. That is probably your vibration. They even could just be out of balance.
This is a perfect example of why dealers will not give us anything for a C5 trade in.

Last edited by JR-01; 01-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JR-01:
CindysC5 (01-01-2016), zdeckich (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Good luck on Monday. Hope it all works out.

Just what does the 30-day warranty say? Is there a provision to return the car within a certain period of time for a refund? What does the dealer mean bring it back but it better be in the same shape as when you picked it up - hard to do if there are so many issues cropping up?
Unfortunately, we never did look at it, but I had the mechanic get it out of glove box and it states 30 days from date of purchase for all parts having to do with drive train. He did absolutely state they were new tires. Even asked if they were z rated and he said yes. Doesn't buy junk or put junk replacement parts on vehicles either! I agree with what you're asking about shape of vehicle!!! Have no idea other than what he stated.

Having an Implied Warranty in that state also helps!! That means the warranty doesn't have to be stated or written, and there is no time limit (which I find a bit uncanny on the time). This was all within the 2nd day and well before the 30 days. We've had rain every day last week and part of this week so didn't want to get it dirty and Christmas holidays and now New Year's Holiday with everyone closed, still only 2 weeks as of today since purchase. The miles can prove that it wasn't driven also!

Just wish he would be honest and hold up his end of the deal, instead of yelling and being a jerk!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:23 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

When I bought my nice 14 year old Vette with 50K miles on it I knew I would have to put more money into it just because it is old.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CindysC5
Just wish he would be honest and hold up his end of the deal, instead of yelling and being a jerk!
Did you yell at him first?
Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
CindysC5,
I am certainly not a lawyer, and sorry to read about your situation about the dealership not standing behind their verbal warranty's, but by putting myself in your shoes, I would first start with getting written documentation and any video by your mechanic with date and time at his shop documenting and showing all the issues with the Vette. Did you by chance pull any checks on codes(DIC). You have that 30 day warranty to stand behind, but you need to read it all, down to the fine print. If the dealer verbally expressed that he would take said vehicle back, I would seriously consider taking that option since he has already shown that he is not a very professional or truthful person. There's a lot of nice Corvettes out there to buy, so don't pigeon hole yourself to this individual because you bought a car from him. You have numerous rights in regards to this type of transaction and I suggest that you and your husband take the high road and 'not' enter into a pissing contest, especially if this has to go to court for settlement actions. Good luck, and hope you get this resolved amicably.
Thank you for your opinion, do appreciate it! My mechanic is going to take pics and even do "facetime" with dealer, if he will agree, and show him just what's going on. I will also take videos and pics with dates like you suggested. My only concern is with the bank. Never had this situation in my life, so not sure what they would do and if dealer would pay them back?! I'm sure the bank would force his hand one way or another. I hope we can resolve this in a timely fashion also. First vette, was so excited and haven't been able to drive it but 3 hours!!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JR-01
When I bought my nice 14 year old Vette with 50K miles on it I knew I would have to put more money into it just because it is old.
I think he should have known that also. He said he was selling us a great car and no junk! Shouldn't expect to have all this happening 2 days later, nor him refusing to make it right, especially with 30 day warranty!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Did you yell at him first?

No, my husband didn't yell at him first, he started mouthing off and trying to tell him he wasn't going to fix all that and nothing wrong with tires. My husband then said, what's right is right!! You told us tires were brand new and they're not! So, because they were both trying to over talk each other and he was really pissing my husband off, which he never gets like that with people, he hung up on us!! He did call back, like I said, within a few minutes. He knows he's responsible and we could certainly bring him to court, but we don't really want to go there and I'm sure he doesn't either!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
strat62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did your salesman look like this guy?

Get notified of new replies

To Got taken by dealer?!?!?!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foggy
I would want the Balancer and Belts with Labor Covered From the dealer you bought it from. those items were "broken" when you bought it.
Also, Check the date code on tires.. Maybe they are "NEW" according to treadwear, but are like say 5 years old... If they stated NEW, then they should be less than a year old regardless of treadwear.
Unfortunately, on a "low mile" used car of any make/model. the tire thing could be an issue depending on how its looked at.
The water pump, thermostat, hoses, just like spark plugs, oil, brakes, etc
are a regular maintenance item and I personally would replace them and expect to replaced them on ANY used car. Esp one that is 16 years old....
Mind you, I'm not siding with the deception of that dealer... just giving you an opinion of what a third party sees as "fair".

you will get the used car issues worked out soon and LOVE being a member of the corvette community soon.
My 110K 2000 vert I would put up against any car new or old in an endurance contest
Thank you for that information and your opinion also! I do already love being a member and have found the sticky post for newbies of great value! I love all the opinions and advice you guys are willing to spend your time giving to the community! It's a wonderful thing!! What I'm having a hard time with tho is he stated his mechanic went over everything after his purchase. Guess he needs a new mechanic!!! Come Monday, we're going to the shop and checking the dates on tires first thing!! Already looked up how to find and read the codes! Plus will be sending him pics!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strat62
did your salesman look like this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2wLlrfU89E
lmao!!! Not quite thank God!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM
CindysC5
Burning Brakes

220 degrees at stoplight is perfectly normal and there are no u-joints in these cars. When you buy any 15 year old car you can not expect it to be perfect. I replaced belts and pulleys on my 01 when I bought it. The noise could be a pulley. I doubt if it needs a water pump. Now if the date code on the tires is older than a year or 2 the salesman owes you new tires. That is probably your vibration. They even could just be out of balance.
This is a perfect example of why dealers will not give us anything for a C5 trade in.
Good to know about the temp...ty! A bit confused on the u-joints issue tho. Dealer and mechanic both saying it has them. Mechanic said they're in a housing and would take time to get to them to even check them out.

Quick Reply: Got taken by dealer?!?!?!