Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking targa top/window, can a corvette be waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Lord.Baal
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leaking targa top/window, can a corvette be waterproof?

hey c5 guys, question. is it possible to make the roof waterproof?

i was hoping the c5 would be slightly more water resistant then my c4, but looks like it has the same issue. where the targa top connects to the windshield and window, those corners have a slow leak in the rain.

its a drop of water every minute or so, so a really small leak. but i park outside and its my dd, so at work its slowly leaking in. i was wondering what you can do about it? some type of sealant or tape on the weatherstrip from the A frame to the targa? seems like that is where the water is getting in. little gap there

is it impossible to make a targa roof not leak?

any help would be great!!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,227 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sometimes putting some dielectric grease to lubricate the weatherstripping can help with sealing the car up from water leaks. There are other adjustments that can be made to the targa top and window tip-in that will make for a tighter fit.

I've got a number of Word files that discuss water leaks and adjustments. If you would like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. Some are too large to post as an attachment here on the forum.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

mine doesn't but I don't take it off !!!!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:18 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I take my targa off a lot! First year I bought dynatex brake system silicone compound from one of the corvette mail order catalogs. I put it on heavy and never had a leak. Still put it on when I shut it down for the winter.

People have asked if I'd replace the weather stripping and that's my trick.

Part number, 49593.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Lord.Baal
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you!!

Good advice. Jack has tons of great info! Thanks! !!

Gonna work in it this weekend and get it fixed. Might try similar thing on my 93, Has same issue.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sometimes putting some dielectric grease to lubricate the weatherstripping can help with sealing the car up from water leaks. There are other adjustments that can be made to the targa top and window tip-in that will make for a tighter fit.

I've got a number of Word files that discuss water leaks and adjustments. If you would like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. Some are too large to post as an attachment here on the forum.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Do they leak? I have had my C5 since 1997; it has both roofs and I change/remove them regularly. Never had a leak, never needed lube. Only thing I have ever done is tighten up the front latches a hair about 10 years ago to deal with a minor rattle.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes they will leak.

The top rear corner will split (the roof tends to catch and fold it over). Dry rot doesn't help. The front and rear both have internal drain channels, as does the body of the car itself. Those drains can plug up, causing a leak. The rubber can shrink with age (although the window angle and a few other things can be adjusted for a better fit)

Many of the seals are multi-piece construction, the seams between the pieces may crack/separate. (Which happened with 3 or the 3rd party seals I bought.

Biggest problem is GM no longer makes many of the body seals, and some 3rd party seals are not the greatest. Collectively, they are not cheap.

VettemanJack's files are extremely helpful in correcting many water intrusion issues.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 AM
Reking1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usteelking2@aol.com
Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 PM
aphaynes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love a copy. Mine has the slow drips in the corners. All the seals look good and I tried the dielectric grease already.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking targa top/window, can a corvette be waterproof?

Quick Reply: Leaking targa top/window, can a corvette be waterproof?