Recommend a starter to use with headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Recommend a starter to use with headers

Hi All

I have an 02 with heads, cam and XS Power headers.

I had a condition where the car would start normally but when I turned the ignition to off the starter would then run and kept the motor running. It didn't matter if I just turned the ignition to off, or if I even pulled the key. The motor would keep running because the starter was turning. I had to put the car in gear and basically stall it to make the starter and motor quit. Note: The starter doesn't seem to be running when the car is running.

I juggled the ignition switch with the key inserted semi aggressively and then I went to a full no start condition.

So this weekend I replaced the ignition switch with an AC Delco OEM unit, and now I am back to where the car starts but does not turn off when turned to off and the key pulled.

The next step is that with the motor and starter running with the key completely out of the ignition, I bumped the top of the starter at the solenoid with a broom stick and it stopped turning over.

So I believe the starter solenoid is shot. The starter is a bosch unit that I put in with the headers about 5.5 years ago. The car doesn't get run much.

So my question is are there any "heavy duty" starters that I can install so it lasts longer? Or should I do another OEM starter and put a heat shield on it?

Thanks for any recommendations
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I just posted this on the tech site for a similar question, I also installed XS power headers last winter and replaced the starter with this ///
Quality-Built 6492SN Supreme Domestic Starter - New on Amazon 90.00 put 8000 miles on this summer no issues with the starter !!!

Last edited by Pounder; 01-11-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-shields.html

Last edited by 73Corvette; 01-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Thanks - Is this "Quality built" starter an OEM alternative, or is it supposed to be better build to withstand additional heat from headers?

I have seen a high torque mini starter referenced in other threads. Can anyone link or provide the part number of what they have used successfully?

Thanks

Originally Posted by akapounder
I just posted this on the tech site for a similar question, I also installed XS power headers last winter and replaced the starter with this ///
Quality-Built 6492SN Supreme Domestic Starter - New on Amazon 90.00 put 8000 miles on this summer no issues with the starter !!!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dba4life
Thanks - Is this "Quality built" starter an OEM alternative, or is it supposed to be better build to withstand additional heat from headers?

I have seen a high torque mini starter referenced in other threads. Can anyone link or provide the part number of what they have used successfully?

Thanks
standard starter like I stated no issues, to be fair I have a 180 stat and the tune from ECS my fans come on earlier and all summer my highest temp was 192 degrees !!!!! I also wanted the starter with the 2 long bolts !!!!

Last edited by Pounder; 01-13-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My factory starter could not take the header heat put on a mini starter and it fixed the problem. It also got rid of probably 20 pounds of weight.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:47 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

engine coolant temps and exhaust manifold temps are completely different... having the headers coated will help as will wrapping the starter body/solenoid/wiring with heatshield... I have a bosch truck starter that I covered with heatshield and my headers are jethot coated... in my opinion that's about as good as you can do
Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
engine coolant temps and exhaust manifold temps are completely different... having the headers coated will help as will wrapping the starter body/solenoid/wiring with heatshield... I have a bosch truck starter that I covered with heatshield and my headers are jethot coated... in my opinion that's about as good as you can do
Is this a 2" header problem? or any size header, I have not looked but have not seen a lot of threads on this being a big problem. Are there other factors in the tune that are killing these starters or just heat from headers? Knock on wood but I have not noticed any cranking problems with my car.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neutron82
the starter is right next to the block, stands to reason the hotter the block the more heat will be transferred to the starter,at least that's my way of thinking !!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
the starter is right next to the block, stands to reason the hotter the block the more heat will be transferred to the starter,at least that's my way of thinking !!!!
Pretty sure headers are hundreds of degrees hotter than the block, not sure 30* to 40* is going to make much difference in that situation.

But I do think the tune and cam set up may play a bigger part in how hot they get?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Pretty sure headers are hundreds of degrees hotter than the block, not sure 30* to 40* is going to make much difference in that situation.

But I do think the tune and cam set up may play a bigger part in how hot they get?
Well another thing I just thought of, XSpower headers are made of SS321 Stainless ,to my understanding they don't radiate as much heat !!!!!! ////side note the starter is in direct contact with the block where as my headers are inches away, I know touching something hot or being close to something hot is way different !!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Thanks - Do you know which one you put in? And any additional modifications needed to install?

Originally Posted by bop
My factory starter could not take the header heat put on a mini starter and it fixed the problem. It also got rid of probably 20 pounds of weight.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:58 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Still hoping some will chime in with their mini starter selection or what they do to protect their starter from the heat from headers. Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't want a mini starter,very short life span compared to full size starters, they're garbage for the most part and unneeded for your case. It will take a dump on you long before an AC Delco. My original starter is still in my 04 Z. I have LG LT's and the car has over 83k miles on it.45k of which are supercharged also. No header coatings, no heat blanket covering starter, no nada. When this one dies i will invest in what works,, factory AC Delco.I will always choose an aftermarket product that is better than OEM but i haven't seen a better starter. Don't roll the dice unless you have money to burn man.It's quite a job to replace a starter if you have headers so install one that will last 10-15 yrs if your lucky,,,like me. Mine is 13 yrs old and spins up like its brand new. Don't roll the dice unless you have money to burn IMO.

Last edited by ONE BMF; 01-17-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:09 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Thanks. When I got the Bosch 5 yrs ago I thought I read they were the ones manufacturing them for AC Delco...maybe that was wrong and I installed a substandard part?.

It looks like the OE AC Delco is 323-1450...struggling to find this new.

It is very easy to find the remanufactured AC Delco 336-1922A for $80:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 336-1922A Professional Starter, Remanufactured: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 336-1922A Professional Starter, Remanufactured: Automotive

Read about the long bolt issue (If there is one) so will get an extra one:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 11610787 GM Original Equipment Starter Bolt: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 11610787 GM Original Equipment Starter Bolt: Automotive

Is the remanufactured AC Delco a bad choice?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
You don't want a mini starter,very short life span compared to full size starters, they're garbage for the most part and unneeded for your case. It will take a dump on you long before an AC Delco. My original starter is still in my 04 Z. I have LG LT's and the car has over 83k miles on it.45k of which are supercharged also. No header coatings, no heat blanket covering starter, no nada. When this one dies i will invest in what works,, factory AC Delco.I will always choose an aftermarket product that is better than OEM but i haven't seen a better starter. Don't roll the dice unless you have money to burn man.It's quite a job to replace a starter if you have headers so install one that will last 10-15 yrs if your lucky,,,like me. Mine is 13 yrs old and spins up like its brand new. Don't roll the dice unless you have money to burn IMO.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Old 01-18-2016, 12:50 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ONE BMF

We ran OEM GM starters on the World Challenge race cars with our headers too. No coatings, no covers, no shields and never had an issue with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend a starter to use with headers

Old 01-20-2016, 05:37 PM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dba4life
Still hoping some will chime in with their mini starter selection or what they do to protect their starter from the heat from headers. Thanks
I installed ARH 1 3/4in headers and catted x pipe on my 02Z, I had the headers jet-hot ceramic coated for heat. I also installed a spark plug boot on the wires going to the starter and included the sensor wire going to the oil pan on that side in the boot. I also replaced my original starter with an AC Delco part #88864301, it's a 2 long bolt truck starter, it is smaller in size, and higher torque than the OEM starter for these cars. I paid $180 at dealer after core charge. Yes it's a remanufactured unit from GM.

wires in spark plug sock, was able to install headers with the starter in place

ARH system with coated headers

coated for heat management but love the finish also
The following users liked this post:
ericdwong (01-20-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Headers look great, who did the coating?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:51 PM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Headers look great, who did the coating?
They are jet-hot coated and if you google them they have many options for finishes to include colors

Quick Reply: Recommend a starter to use with headers