C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna pic up the car tomorrow, but the damn Snow Storm put a KABOSH! on that.

Here's some pics of the car.

I'll add a few pics when I get it home....
Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by TTShab
I was gonna pic up the car tomorrow, but the damn Snow Storm put a KABOSH! on that

All you need to do is lower it, install a spoiler and you will have a winner!
Just kidding, nice car enjoy your new ride

I do like Carravaggio spoilers on verts and z06, I think they go well with the trunk lid. Food for thought.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 01-22-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
All you need to do is lower it, install a spoiler and you will have a winner!
Just kidding, nice car enjoy your new ride

I do like Carravaggio spoilers on verts and z06, I think they go well with the trunk lid. Food for thought.
I will check it out!!! Thanks
Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
I've never understood why people entered stock corvettes into shows, especially newer models. What's the point?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of judged shows in general. Cruise nights or cruises with friends are way more entertaining.
Dude...I'm with you 100%. Judged car shows are for a certain "demographic" mostly, I'll tell you that. These guys rocking their 86 Corvette with a room of trophies...I find it pretty funny myself...

It's one thing to be at Amelia Island or Pebble...something extraordinary, but to be at the local fire hall car show and collect your beat *** trophy...lol...definitely for old gray hairs mostly and people with bad taste.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 AM
TTShab
Advanced

Originally Posted by RC000E
Dude...I'm with you 100%. Judged car shows are for a certain "demographic" mostly, I'll tell you that. These guys rocking their 86 Corvette with a room of trophies...I find it pretty funny myself...

It's one thing to be at Amelia Island or Pebble...something extraordinary, but to be at the local fire hall car show and collect your beat *** trophy...lol...definitely for old gray hairs mostly and people with bad taste.
I've been to quite a few shows. Think how boring it will be if they were all stock or all mods. I like the mods because it gives you great ideas what u can or might do in the future.

But in all honesty, typically mods hurt the value. Just look at the vettes '53 and up and all other cars. Worth tons of money if original. Worth less than 1/2 if not original. All depends on what you want to do. I can tell you from experience its way easier to sell an original car then a modded. I like both. I say one of each lol
Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Chopnspray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to quite a few shows. Think how boring it will be if they were all stock or all mods. I like the mods because it gives you great ideas what u can or might do in the future.

But in all honesty, typically mods hurt the value. Just look at the vettes '53 and up and all other cars. Worth tons of money if original. Worth less than 1/2 if not original. All depends on what you want to do. I can tell you from experience its way easier to sell an original car then a modded. I like both. I say one of each lol
Not so true anymore restomods are bringing more money then originals
Old 01-23-2016, 11:21 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,668 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I was gonna pic up the car tomorrow, but the damn Snow Storm put a KABOSH! on that.

Here's some pics of the car.

Beautiful car. It looks very clean and provides you a great blank canvas if you do choose to modify it or personalize it. It also looks great bone stock as is. If you like the Caravaggio rear spoiler, that's the one I have installed and shown in the pics I posted earlier.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:23 AM
TTShab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chopnspray
Not so true anymore restomods are bringing more money then originals
No one and I mean no one will take say an original 67 split and resto mod it. The reason people resto mod is because they do not have a numbers matching car. Kinda why rest mods began. 😀
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

No one and I mean no one will take say an original 67 split and resto mod it. The reason people resto mod is because they do not have a numbers matching car. Kinda why rest mods began. 😀
Plus it makes them handle better, more power to the wheels (sometimes), better gas mileage(always),more comfortable and reliable. but you are right if it is done over stock and a collector car best to leave it alone!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

a stock car i don't care who make's the car its boring, and kinda pointless imo, i have a 2003 z06 that is pretty modded and i love it...i have won plenty of awards at car shows and get more looks then what a stock vette would get, i mean stock is fun to a point but when you go to a vette only car show and there is 20 vette's that are all the same stock what is the fun in that?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:04 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Beautiful car. It looks very clean and provides you a great blank canvas if you do choose to modify it or personalize it. It also looks great bone stock as is. If you like the Caravaggio rear spoiler, that's the one I have installed and shown in the pics I posted earlier.
I do like that spoiler. I also like the SLP one too but a little worried about 3m tape.

Last edited by TTShab; 01-23-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Its always an interesting topic that's for sure. I sorta of agree with everyone 8)
Old 01-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Coming from you Toque, that is definitely a compliment. Funny about the GM reference because the year u upgraded my interior, I had a C5 owner approach me at a show almost crying that he didn't choose my interior option.
That's exactly the type of comment that I appreciate the most. Some of my friends did not even notice some things about my car that I modified. Clean/Simple mods that flow with the rest of the car .... Things that look like they "belong" on the car... Things that GM "could" have done... are mods that I like the most.

Toque
Old 01-23-2016, 12:36 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,668 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I do like that spoiler. I also like the SLP one too but a little worried about 3m tape.
I like both spoilers, however the deciding factor for me choosing the Caravaggio spoiler was that it covers the entire rear bumper so it maintains the once seam line with the trunk. The SLP is not as wide, so there was a second spoiler seam line.

Don't worry about the tape. Mine has been on for five years and it's rock solid as there is a lot of surface area to apply it.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 PM
TTShab
Advanced

I like both spoilers, however the deciding factor for me choosing the Caravaggio spoiler was that it covers the entire rear bumper so it maintains the once seam line with the trunk. The SLP is not as wide, so there was a second spoiler seam line.

Don't worry about the tape. Mine has been on for five years and it's rock solid as there is a lot of surface area to apply it.
Spoiler def adds to the car. No doubt about it.

I also think Toque is correct. It can be modded with "class" some are so obnoxious the car doesn't even look like a vette anymore lol
Old 01-23-2016, 02:07 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I had a chance to buy a 66 C2 about four years ago; matching #s big block 4 spd, for $36k. I knew if I got my hands on it, I'd have to start modding it, so I passed. (not rich enough to have two Corvettes) The C5 will never be a collectible unless it's a particularly rare combo, and you can find a gullible buyer. BTW, I love that NB FRC. Best looking car in that color I've ever seen. Those C6 wheels look better, with that combination, and stance, than they look on a GS.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Spoiler def adds to the car. No doubt about it.

I also think Toque is correct. It can be modded with "class" some are so obnoxious the car doesn't even look like a vette anymore lol
Here is a couple of pics of Carravaggio spoiler on mine, one showing the one seam on deck lid, mine fit purfect and don't worry you would have a hard time pulling it off! I've seen a few other knockoffs of these and the fit is pretty bad on those.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 PM
TTShab
Advanced

Yes that is gorgeous and tastefully done. Now to make it black or yellow. Hmmmmm
Old 01-23-2016, 03:12 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Went to my first car show at a chevy dealer this summer. Took a 2nd place trophy for stock c5. Not bragging i just bought from original owner who was a fanatic [in a good way]. He deserved all the credit. Some of the modded cars were crazy, big $ cars. Beautiful cars, but a lot tougher to win. I just enjoyed chatting with other car guys, I've been out of the car seen for many years. Sitting for hours in the hot sun got tough but overall was fun. I spent most of the time looking at other cars. Like others said it's all good, thankfully our vettes are great cars in any form.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Black 02
I've never understood why people entered stock corvettes into shows, especially newer models. What's the point?

I do ALLOT of shows in the summertime with both my C5s. I put many hours moddifying my 02 and it almost always gets a trophy. But.....if I was you, stock with only 15K miles, I'd leave it stock. It will hold it's value better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?