Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 AM
TTShab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Just wanted to hear opinions. I personally like showing nearly 100% stock Corvettes. If you modify them it is a whole another category. Adding some stripes, wheels,etc could put you up against people that sink $25k in mods to their car. I've won a few shows with my c4 and I'm replacing it this week with a c5 vert with 15k miles. 100% original. Hoping to win some shows with it.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Good luck with the C5

Originally Posted by TTShab
Just wanted to hear opinions. I personally like showing nearly 100% stock Corvettes. If you modify them it is a whole another category. Adding some stripes, wheels,etc could put you up against people that sink $25k in mods to their car. I've won a few shows with my c4 and I'm replacing it this week with a c5 vert with 15k miles. 100% original. Hoping to win some shows with it.
I know a few guys that have NCRS level cars. Certainly can appreciate the level of work they put into these cars to keep them at that level.

Good luck with your C5 and the fun of detailing.

JB
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The car is yours. Do what you want with it.
If you plan on having a garage queen, and want it completely stock, there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to drive it daily and modify to appear like a bat mobile, that's Ok too, since it's your car.

Remember, most car shows have different criteria for judging and what works at one show, doesn't at another.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:44 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

I strive for the 100% stock vehicle also. Even though I like most of the Mods available, I enjoy keeping my C5 the way it was from the factory.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Stock is
The following 2 users liked this post by sfc rick:
ch@0s (01-23-2016), Not4spd (01-24-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Stock is
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

If winning is important to you I would think stock especially with that low of miles but lots of people will think its boring because there is lots of stock c5 rolling around. Now in another 20 years a stock one will be exciting to look at, like a chevelle is now! closer to stock the better. Jmho
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by TTShab
Adding some stripes, wheels,etc could put you up against people that sink $25k in mods to their car.
Such is life when you mod the car and enter it in car shows. Mod the car the way you want (or leave it basically stock) and enjoy it. Shows seem to have different thresholds on when a car falls into the modified category - say more than three mods, etc. Just go to the show and enjoy the experience - if you win an award, that's great but getting to talk cars with other enthusiasts is the real reward.

Congrats on your pending purchase of a low mileage C5. Post up some pics when you get it.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Such is life when you mod the car and enter it in car shows. Mod the car the way you want (or leave it basically stock) and enjoy it. Shows seem to have different thresholds on when a car falls into the modified category - say more than three mods, etc. Just go to the show and enjoy the experience - if you win an award, that's great but getting to talk cars with other enthusiasts is the real reward.

Congrats on your pending purchase of a low mileage C5. Post up some pics when you get it.
I agree with the above.

I lost my interest in shows years ago. Most folks have no clue what they are looking at. I just don't find I fun sitting in a parking lot for 4+ hours baking. I'd rather go for a cruise and have lunch with my local Corvette buddies.

toque
The following users liked this post:
mike48750 (01-24-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by tmirisola
I strive for the 100% stock vehicle also. Even though I like most of the Mods available, I enjoy keeping my C5 the way it was from the factory.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

I showed StuzVette in only NCCC judged shows for 9 years.
Although I sunk many thousands in my show car, I won because it was CLEAN and the body colors matched and aligned properly. From the beginning, I showed as modified "Custom" class. You will win also if you are the cleanest in any whichever class you decide to show. The only real difference is that the more mods you have, the more parts to polish.
You have to decide if it will be show only or not, but I drove StuzVette hard and showed to win every show. You CAN have both.

I will say, I really enjoyed the showing and sharing with many other show owners and future Corvette owners and enthusiasts.

Now days, I just show and go....
Old 01-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

When I go to shows I don't care to look at stock C5s, but prefer to check out what modifications others have made (even if only minor cosmetic changes). At my first Carlisle show, I loved just walking around and looking at 100s of Corvettes and deciding which wheel style/size and which seat color combo I liked the best to put on my own car.

Now, if I cared about winning... I would probably stay stock for the long haul. But that's not why I attend shows nor why I own a Corvette. Totally up to you as to what you prefer.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Phanni
The car is yours. Do what you want with it.
If you plan on having a garage queen, and want it completely stock, there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to drive it daily and modify to appear like a bat mobile, that's Ok too, since it's your car.

Remember, most car shows have different criteria for judging and what works at one show, doesn't at another.

Mostly it's about how clean the car is. Not how much crap you can throw into one. Got a plaque, don't remember what it placed, at a show just because my car was cleaner than the car next to me that had $20+K of mods done to it. The owner failed to bother wiping the bug guts off the front not to mention clean the interior or dump the ash tray. Yet he gets on this Forum and has a mile long rant about all he's done to his car.
Personally, I'm not sinking a small fortune into a car to fish for $20 trophies.

Last edited by stingraymyway; 01-21-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Toque
I agree with the above.

I lost my interest in shows years ago. Most folks have no clue what they are looking at. I just don't find I fun sitting in a parking lot for 4+ hours baking. I'd rather go for a cruise and have lunch with my local Corvette buddies.

toque
I was going to what they call cruise ins around here several years ago with my 77 T/A. thing is there wasn't any cruise except to and from. Just sitting there in a lawn chair for 4 or 5 hours, having people looking at my car isn't something I wanted to do. I have to admit though that I did drive it more when we did that. It hasn't been out of the garage now in at least two years. When I do go for a drive I always take the Vette.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I've seen a difference between shows. Some look for stock, some for mods, and almost all for how clean the car is.

To me the completely stock ones are boring. As an example a friend brought his new C7 to a show and won a trophy. He had done nothing to the car and since it was new it had very few miles on it and looked great, however I can go to any dealership and find ones cleaner there.

I like seeing what people have done to their cars. I look at them to get ideas on what I might like to do to mine.

To me some are modded too much. My personal preference is to keep a nearly stock appearance, but modded to improve performance. (a sleeper)

I have gone to several shows. I don't expect to win anything, but it is a great parking spot, it is fun talking to all the people about what they have done to their cars, and a nice road trip with friends to go to them.

To the OP's question about a stock or modified show car, check with the shows you plan to attend and find the judging criteria. A lot of local shows have no criteria though and are only the judges or attendees preference.

So, make it the way you like it and enjoy it.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

When I go to a car show, a stock C5 is about as interesting as a stock '97 Impala. I just walk on by.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I Don't do car shows, no pleasure in the click of the club or organization that run it. I do enjoy car cruises as they are called here in W.Pa. Meet a lot of fine people with all different taste in cars. If you want a stock C5, your choice. Myself, I like to make the car my own. This cars can easily be improved in many different was.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 01-21-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?

Old 01-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by tmirisola

But to each its own!! Its your car, you have to drive it and customize it (or not) the way you want it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:17 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
When I go to a car show, a stock C5 is about as interesting as a stock '97 Impala. I just walk on by.
I'm just the opposite. I would like to see a '97 Impala since they never made one. That generation was from '94 to '96. (I had 3 of them)

Although they never made a '97 Impala, there is a collectable model that was a Johnny Lightning '97 Impala that was pulled and the remaining few models are some rare oddities.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I've never understood why people entered stock corvettes into shows, especially newer models. What's the point?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of judged shows in general. Cruise nights or cruises with friends are way more entertaining.

Quick Reply: C5 Stock vs Modified for Car Shows?