Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging Interest: C5 Dedicated LED DRL (fog replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
The suitability comes from 2 factors.

1) The factory bulb is a 27w 880 series bulb rated at 540 lumens. This is hardly enough to be of use at night.

2) The LED replacement we're proposing projects 1000 lumens of 5500K light so output is not the issue. The issue is the pattern. A Driving light is designed to compete with sunlight and thus needs to create glare in order to be seen. During the day, this is useful, but at night presents a hazard to oncoming traffic (similar to using your high beams on a highway)

The C5 fog light is a good design for fog/poor weather illumination with a poor light source. Even an HID light source would not be effective as a DRL because of the pattern.

In comparison to the denali (and many other vehicles today) The fog lights are a free-form reflector style. This is an attempt by the auto industry to make a combination fog/driving light. They are cheaper to make than projectors but don't particularly function well as either. Just because a light is mounted low and far apart doesn't make it a good fog light and just because it's a reflector housing doesn't make it a good driving light.

GM's solution with the C5 (and C6) is to have the turn signal double as the daytime running light. On top of the DRL being amber (which is a sin in the minds of many) it is comparatively dim to modern LED DRLs.
Thanks for the reply. After doing a bit of searching here, I'm seeing everywhere that the stock fog bulb is the 37.5w 893? However, it's not listed in my owners manual and when I do internet searches I'm seeing both 880 and 893? That said, I'm also seeing that the 885 is a 50W direct replacement. Again, I'm concerned about the wiring, but I've seen scores of folks proclaiming no issues after a number of years.

So I guess my question is, how does the 885 for $5/pr compare to your 1,000 lumen LED? I think from a price point, that would be the most accurate comparison point, based on your query. Again, I know your housings no doubt have a much better focus and all around performance so that's part of the puzzle I guess too.

PS - As a quick update, I just checked Sylvanias site and they claim 1,257 lumens out of the 885 LL. So I guess this becomes more about the performance of the housings as the available output is in the same range, and definitely much better than the stock 880's.

Thanks!!

Last edited by mrmagloo; 02-04-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
Thanks for the reply. After doing a bit of searching here, I'm seeing everywhere that the stock fog bulb is the 37.5w 893? However, it's not listed in my owners manual and when I do internet searches I'm seeing both 880 and 893? That said, I'm also seeing that the 885 is a 50W direct replacement. Again, I'm concerned about the wiring, but I've seen scores of folks proclaiming no issues after a number of years.

So I guess my question is, how does the 885 for $5/pr compare to your 1,000 lumen LED? I think from a price point, that would be the most accurate comparison point, based on your query. Again, I know your housings no doubt have a much better focus and all around performance so that's part of the puzzle I guess too.

PS - As a quick update, I just checked Sylvanias site and they claim 1,257 lumens out of the 885 LL. So I guess this becomes more about the performance of the housings as the available output is in the same range, and definitely much better than the stock 880's.

Thanks!!
I could have been wrong about the bulb number. The 893 is showing 942-980 lumens but again it's the pattern that is the determining factor of lamp purpose not just lumens generated.

Once the test parts get here I'll do a comparison to show the difference.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I could have been wrong about the bulb number. The 893 is showing 942-980 lumens but again it's the pattern that is the determining factor of lamp purpose not just lumens generated.

Once the test parts get here I'll do a comparison to show the difference.
You are the man. I'll hold up on my side to review your test feedback.

Thanks alot!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:49 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

These lights are meant to be DRLs and NOT suitable for night driving. Our planned wiring setup would automatically turn the lights off once the parking/headlights are turned on.

If you want better illumination from your fog lights, a 35w HID kit is a cheap way to get there.
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...for-C5-004.htm

Obviously the best output will come from upgraded headlights. Our Bi-xenon ACA headlights will turn night into day without blinding oncoming traffic. (There MAY be a special sale price on these starting tomorrow.....Shhh )
As I already have your wonderful ACA headlights, the fog light kit is a drop in the bucket.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Test photos from today.

Test conditions:
Overcast late morning. LED was mounted at roughly the same height as the fog lights on a C5 and positioned in a cardboard box to simulate the fog light cove area. The large cardboard behind the test setup is to allow the camera to see the fog light apart from the white garage door.

10ft from light

25 ft from light

50 ft from light

100 ft from light

approx 200 ft from light

Rough guesses show a uniform beam pattern of about 50 degrees spread both horizontal and transverse. This means that even on uneven roads or turns the DRLs will remain evenly visible to other drivers.

This being said, who wants to be the first guinea pig?

I will let the first prototype go for $80 shipped if the customer agrees to provide photos of installation and finished product.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

UGH! If I were home I would jump on this asap especially considering I work nights. Good luck to whoever jumps on this, you're getting a pretty awesome deal.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

What is the best option for increasing the light output of the DRLs (not fogs)? I like how they put out a wide, close, flood pattern, but would be nice if they were brighter.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
What is the best option for increasing the light output of the DRLs (not fogs)? I like how they put out a wide, close, flood pattern, but would be nice if they were brighter.
The DRLs on the C5 serve double-duty as turn signals. Assuming you're referring to these, the best route is to use our White DRL harness along with the Gen 6 switchback LED bulbs:

http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...rvette-093.htm

The description of the pattern you speak of describes the fog lights. You can make them brighter, but because of their inherent design, they do not make good DRLs (See previous posts here)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn George, I'd be all over this if I wasn't going out of town for a couple of weeks. It would take too long to get pictures of install and final product. I'm sure I will get a set when production begins though.

Guys, you've seen the stuff George makes and you know you will not be disappointed.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

The DRLs on the C5 serve double-duty as turn signals. Assuming you're referring to these, the best route is to use our White DRL harness along with the Gen 6 switchback LED bulbs:

http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...rvette-093.htm

The description of the pattern you speak of describes the fog lights. You can make them brighter, but because of their inherent design, they do not make good DRLs (See previous posts here)
OK, thanks. I have a Z, so no fogs.
Do you offer anything that would keep the yellow amber DRLs, but make them a lot brighter, and keep them on when the headlits are on?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:36 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
OK, thanks. I have a Z, so no fogs.
Do you offer anything that would keep the yellow amber DRLs, but make them a lot brighter, and keep them on when the headlights are on?
The factory function for the DRL bulbs works like this (2 filiments:

DAY:
DRL: High power
Turn signal: High/full/High/full

Night:
Parking/headlights: Low power
Turn signal: Low/High/Low/High

While we can offer a brighter bulb, we can't make it DRL brightness at night because it would interfere with the turn signal function.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I see, thanks.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Bump: See OP for a special price for the first customer.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

i'll give em a shot George, lemmie know the paypal info.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jdmvette
i'll give em a shot George, lemmie know the paypal info.
Please purchase 8 custom order credits from here.
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...Credit-023.htm

At checkout under special instructions type:
C5 Morimoto LED DRL Prototype.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Please purchase 8 custom order credits from here.
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...Credit-023.htm

At checkout under special instructions type:
C5 Morimoto LED DRL Prototype.
Order placed, thanks George.

Invoice# 0000003449

Invoice Date: 02/11/2016 19:38:18
Old 02-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Off subject Radio.......

You live in Michigan... soooo... where's all the snow ???

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging Interest: C5 Dedicated LED DRL (fog replacement)

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Order placed, thanks George.
Excellent. We'll have the out to you today.

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Off subject Radio.......

You live in Michigan... soooo... where's all the snow ???
I often use the remote-start on my truck unnecessarily pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The EPA came to my home and removed my beautiful snow as a penalty for my selfish actions citing there were people more deserving. I was given a firm warning that if I did not cease my activities and buy a hybrid I would never see ice/salts on the road again.

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 02-12-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

George any update to the email I sent you about the lighting options?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

George any update to the email I sent you about the lighting options?
Yes see email (or below)

I've decided there will be a slight addendum to the wiring part of the installation that results in the DRLs functioning more like a real factory DRL than just a pair of lights that run in the daytime.

Here's a breakdown

Daytime:
DRL - On
Turn signal: DRL on the turning side shuts off allowing the turn signal to be seen easier. DRL resumes when signal is deactivated.

Night time:
DRL is off completely.

Installation of the harness involves removing the turn signal bulb and installing a modified mini-harness with power/ground that runs to the DRL. Everything is wire-loomed and should be a piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: C5 Dedicated LED DRL (fog replacement)