Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed about my fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 PM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Very disappointed about my fenders!

I'm not gonna go into detail but I'm very upset I took my rear wide body fenders to my body man who is also a long time family friend and he doesn't even wanna touch em!! He said they are the worst aftermarket fenders he has ever seen and this was my second set that was sent does anybody know who makes em that are actually good quality and not a ton of body work

These not only need work to get them to line up but they are very wavy!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I know you are hesitant to say who you got the fenders from, but doing so could help someone else considering this mod.

Sorry you are going through so much hassle for what should basically be a paint and bolt on change to the car. Hope you get it all worked out, including a refund of your existing set of fenders.
The following users liked this post:
ZeeOh6vette (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Corvette creations? Were they carbon fiber?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Sounds like Corvette Creationz. Contact Pete and have him take care of you - he will make it right.
ZeeOh6vette (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Corvette creations?
Originally Posted by Patches
Sounds like Corvette Creationz.
more than likely... try Dennis at ddmods, they cost more but are better quality and look a lot better in my opinion... hopefully you will be able to get your money back on the defective ones without any headaches
ZeeOh6vette (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 PM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Patches
Sounds like Corvette Creationz. Contact Pete and have him take care of you - he will make it right.
Patches didn't you get all three manufacturers fenders at once to compare I thought I saw that if so can you lmk which ones are the real deal???
Old 02-11-2016, 12:04 AM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I know you are hesitant to say who you got the fenders from, but doing so could help someone else considering this mod.

Sorry you are going through so much hassle for what should basically be a paint and bolt on change to the car. Hope you get it all worked out, including a refund of your existing set of fenders.
I don't want to get in to it im not that way I really couldn't believe what he was showing me though when I rubbed my hand across them it felt like there were craters!!!!!! He said you really wanna put these on your vette???

Last edited by ZeeOh6vette; 02-11-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6vette
I'm not gonna go into detail but I'm very upset I took my rear wide body fenders to my body man who is also a long time family friend and he doesn't even wanna touch em!! He said they are the worst aftermarket fenders he has ever seen and this was my second set that was sent does anybody know who makes em that are actually good quality and not a ton of body work

Oh here I go again. I have been very vocal in the past on this issue. There is zero excuse in this era of laser guided lamination to have a fender that requires any more than bolting on. If I am paying $1000 for flares, they should be PERFECT out of the box. My boat is fiberglass and has a consistent seam between the deck and the hull that does not vary more than .25 millimeters in an 18 foot length. I want to do the wide body kit but I refuse to give my money to these half assed companies that sell crap. It saddens me when I see forum members making excuses for garbage work and I see it all the time. If I can get a fender from GM and bolt it right on, I should do the same for a wide body fender from any company selling it. Any less is unacceptable.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:27 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Crosis
Oh here I go again. I have been very vocal in the past on this issue. There is zero excuse in this era of laser guided lamination to have a fender that requires any more than bolting on. If I am paying $1000 for flares, they should be PERFECT out of the box. My boat is fiberglass and has a consistent seam between the deck and the hull that does not vary more than .25 millimeters in an 18 foot length. I want to do the wide body kit but I refuse to give my money to these half assed companies that sell crap. It saddens me when I see forum members making excuses for garbage work and I see it all the time. If I can get a fender from GM and bolt it right on, I should do the same for a wide body fender from any company selling it. Any less is unacceptable.
but these companies will keep doing it as long as the money is rolling in and no one does anything other than pay their body guy more money to fix it
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Sorry to hear man

This is exactly why I decided to try to make my own widebody kit

On top of it the measly two inches doesnt even do a whole lot, and the kicker is theres no options for the front

Some guys here have spent more then $3500 for paint and installation alone

If you cant return them id just find another body shop that can do the necessary work and install

Even if they are wavey most shops can take care of that no problem, but be prepared to pay
Old 02-11-2016, 04:14 AM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You're so upset that you made a thread, but won't say who's fenders you bought? So now other people can buy these and be disappointed too... Hmm makes sense

Should of just made a thread asking who makes the best fenders. Naming the company can help other people out.
The following 2 users liked this post by John_B:
95rtturbo (02-11-2016), mtlvette (02-12-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by John_B
You're so upset that you made a thread, but won't say who's fenders you bought? So now other people can buy these and be disappointed too... Hmm makes sense

Should of just made a thread asking who makes the best fenders. Naming the company can help other people out.
I agree. The only way bad products from bad companies are exposed is through public forums such as this. It is also the way good products get recognized. It works both ways. If you're unsatisfied with the fenders then you need to let us know which ones they are. Pictures would also help.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:07 AM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I agree. The only way bad products from bad companies are exposed is through public forums such as this. It is also the way good products get recognized. It works both ways. If you're unsatisfied with the fenders then you need to let us know which ones they are. Pictures would also help.
Yup... When I want to buy something, I research it. If somebody is selling "joe blow fenders" I google it and read every thread I can to see how the quality is, how they fit, pictures, reviews and anything I can find. Good and bad, Public forums are great for this.

If you're not satisfied, make a thread saying so and proving it not just "they suck" with no facts or info to back it up. Give other people and the company a chance to see the problem and avoid buying or maybe fix it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

I would also like to know what brand they are. I want to do wide rear fenders but i read way to many bad things about them not fitting right, or the layup was bad etc. Makes me not even want to do it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by zdeckich
I would also like to know what brand they are. I want to do wide rear fenders but i read way to many bad things about them not fitting right, or the layup was bad etc. Makes me not even want to do it.
I feel the exact same way. I want them but then I don't because of all the headaches I read about.
zdeckich (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6vette

To be fair I hear horror stories about all the fender vendors. My body guy is in the process of final fitting of Corvette Creationz fiberglass rear quarters, and L5 front flared fenders. I asked him to rank them both as far as fit, finish and ease to work with. He said they were no worse or better than any others he has done and were about equal as compared to one another. Both need some filling and adjustment to fit properly. His only real complaint was that the CC rears need not come pre drilled for the mounting points. He is getting ready to apply paint. No doubt that you could run into a specific set that has major issues and it is more an indictment on the level of quality checks before they are released to the customer. I would agree that more needs to be done in this area to avoid the headaches and then the bad press that follows allowing a bad set to go out in the first place. Pete at CC has been very helpful in the past in trying to make things right. Customer service after the sale is as important as the quality of the item itself. Sorry you have had a bad experience and hope Pete can help.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

You should DEFINITELY tell us from whom you got these. I too want to do this mod in the future. You can save a fellow member like me a lot of heartache and frustration. And I too would like to know who the real deal is in these wide fenders. Please save the rest of us from going through what you are going through.

Get notified of new replies

To Very disappointed about my fenders!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Maybe you guys who really want to know who the vendor is should try to PM for the info?? I'm sure Patches will let everyone know how his investigation turns out too. From my perspective, if I were currently in the market for flairs, as has been mentioned before, my first call would be to Dennis @ Double D mods. My experience with them is top notch quality and I don't believe Dennis would jeopardize his reputation with less than a quality flair.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Unfortunately, due to work and personal priorities, I've not been able to work on my C5 since September. Travel and other issues have kept me out of the garage except for required maintenance.

As mentioned before, I currently have all three of the available wide quarters (2"+). I bought a set of each to be able to make the choice with all three profiles right in front of me in real-life 3D and not have to project based on 2D pics. So far, I am leaning heavily towards the DD (formerly TPE) quarters. The integration of the DD flare is smoother and more finished-looking than either the CC's and the L5's. I think it will ultimately produce a more subtle effect that will create a look closer to stock.

CC

L5

DD (TPE)

The following 4 users liked this post by Patches:
Black 02 (02-11-2016), mtlvette (02-12-2016), ri-vette (02-14-2016), ZeeOh6vette (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:15 AM
ZeeOh6vette
Racer

I'll see if I can get some pictures up today of the issues and I don't put people on blast if your curious you are free to pm me, I have a rite to express my frustrations on here with the products I've bought through here who are vendors here.. Now if the person gets a chance to make it rite and doesn't than that's another story and I will feel the need to post and spread the word, I believe people deserve a chance

Quick Reply: Very disappointed about my fenders!