Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I have disabled PMs as they are impossible to sort/search.

my email is: radioflyer97@gmail.com
Sent.......
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

So you'll be going with the SLC pros for a quad pro setup then?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt
So you'll be going with the SLC pros for a quad pro setup then?
That is the plan so far. The SLC v1 projectors are comparatively smaller, have better optics, perform better and are substantially less expensive.

The next step is to build a prototype to get specific dimensions for kit hardware. From there, I will build a fiberglass mold for the shroud. This will be send to a 3D scanner and a solid model file created. This will be sent to the CNC shop to create a mirror image mold for trimming.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the progression.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM
paul17
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will there be halos or angel eyes
Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by paul17
will there be halos or angel eyes
We are planning to make that an option. We have to verify that our adhesive will securely hold the angel eye ring to the projector face.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

We are planning to make that an option. We have to verify that our adhesive will securely hold the angel eye ring to the projector face.
What halo will you be going with this time around? A full led ring as seen in newer retrofits, ccfl, or something different?

Honestly speaking it would be nice to see something other than two circular projectors for each headlight. I think flat top and bottoms with rounded sides would look fantastic and compliment the overall package plus keep the opening as low as possible. That way the halos used would also be the same shape and a departure from the typical run of the mill aftermarket headlights.

If horizontal space is an issue between the two projectors, then perhaps the inner pro could be fully shaped flat top/bottom with rounded sides. Then the outboard pro's would meet up with the inboard with only one rounded side, almost like a "D" shape but the flat part meets the inboard pro.

Last edited by nvusgt; 02-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

What halo will you be going with this time around? A full led ring as seen in newer retrofits, ccfl, or something different?

Honestly speaking it would be nice to see something other than two circular projectors for each headlight. I think flat top and bottoms with rounded sides would look fantastic and compliment the overall package plus keep the opening as low as possible. That way the halos used would also be the same shape and a departure from the typical run of the mill aftermarket headlights.

If horizontal space is an issue between the two projectors, then perhaps the inner pro could be fully shaped flat top/bottom with rounded sides. Then the outboard pro's would meet up with the inboard with only one rounded side, almost like a "D" shape but the flat part meets the inboard pro.
The plan is COB type low profile LED rings with sealed contacts since they will be "exposed"

I'm afraid the type of engineering to which I think you're referring would cost far more than the average customer would be willing to pay. The C5's headlight area begs for a 2-light setup and the only way to do this with any kind of low-profile system (pop up or fixed) is with projectors. Thus far the only type of sealed projectors readily available are round.

There are a few square-type projectors available, but they are not sealed. That is about as exotic as it gets. When it comes to projector design, there's not much room for aesthetics, The shroud or bezel is the pretty part.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

The plan is COB type low profile LED rings with sealed contacts since they will be "exposed"

I'm afraid the type of engineering to which I think you're referring would cost far more than the average customer would be willing to pay. The C5's headlight area begs for a 2-light setup and the only way to do this with any kind of low-profile system (pop up or fixed) is with projectors. Thus far the only type of sealed projectors readily available are round.

There are a few square-type projectors available, but they are not sealed. That is about as exotic as it gets. When it comes to projector design, there's not much room for aesthetics, The shroud or bezel is the pretty part.
No I get that, I suppose I did say projectors, when I should have said shrouds. I mean there's plenty of round projectors with diff shaped shrouds. Maybe even the overall headlight shroud could have that profile I was talking about. I certainly understand the limitations of fully sealed pros so that means the items used in conjunction are really the only things we can play with.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:30 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Glad to see this design thinking.

The big barn door flap doesn't look correct with a small modern light source . To me this mis matched approach seemed a handyman design, the best that can be had with available parts, instead of a bespoke design fitted to the car.

Good luck getting the price down.

I don't have an issue with the stock set up, so for me, modern lights in high style would be a very cool addition. But , as others have mentioned, the cars are getting old and need money as they age. If my car was completely fettered out and stable, I wouldn't kick as much about the price.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:36 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

No I get that, I suppose I did say projectors, when I should have said shrouds. I mean there's plenty of round projectors with diff shaped shrouds. Maybe even the overall headlight shroud could have that profile I was talking about. I certainly understand the limitations of fully sealed pros so that means the items used in conjunction are really the only things we can play with.
The issue with a fancy shroud is that it requires additional space around the projector. We're also shooting for better aerodynamics so a nicely contoured shroud so something like the photo below will be our goal (with a flatter contour on the bottom that lines up better with the bumper):

Originally Posted by strand rider
Glad to see this design thinking.

The big barn door flap doesn't look correct with a small modern light source . To me this mis matched approach seemed a handyman design, the best that can be had with available parts, instead of a bespoke design fitted to the car.

Good luck getting the price down.

I don't have an issue with the stock set up, so for me, modern lights in high style would be a very cool addition. But , as others have mentioned, the cars are getting old and need money as they age. If my car was completely fettered out and stable, I wouldn't kick as much about the price.

Using better and less expensive projectors, we were able to get the est price/set down to $800 putting them well within a reasonable price range for the crowd wanting something a unique solution.

Our Bi-xenon ACA (full pop up) headlight is still available for $650 making it the best performing and least-expensive solution of all the quality projector headlight systems.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Hey, if you guys need a test car, I'm all in for this! Right down the road from ya by probably 90 minutes. Just saying........

In all seriousness, You have my full attention here now. Good price point, lower opening, shrouded, good lighting and beam pattern...........
Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Hey, if you guys need a test car, I'm all in for this! Right down the road from ya by probably 90 minutes. Just saying........

In all seriousness, You have my full attention here now. Good price point, lower opening, shrouded, good lighting and beam pattern...........
I think I will be using my 02 for this as I'm not sure how long we will need the vehicle. I just need to find/purchase a OEM headlight setup and then I can start working on it.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 PM
stilov
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by stilov
Any update?
parts have arrived for the initial prototype. I will begin work on this within 1-2 weeks pending the completion of some delayed customer orders.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

parts have arrived for the initial prototype. I will begin work on this within 1-2 weeks pending the completion of some delayed customer orders.
Any updates by any chance?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Any updates by any chance?
This project has been put on hold until the conclusion of my divorce.

Get notified of new replies

To Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

This project has been put on hold until the conclusion of my divorce.
Oh damn, sorry man. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, it is too bad to hear about the divorce. Put me down in the list of people that are very intrested, but not impatient. I don't drive my car at night to avoid bugs and deer, but I plan on updateing the headlights before the aftermarket gives up on the C5.

that said, if this project doesn't start back up...... your ACA looks like a great option.

One question about this project, will the high beam be Xenon? I love the LED high beam option for flashing and not worrying about damaging the Xenon or ballasts. Is that a concern?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Sorry to hear about the divorce.

Im in on a set of lights when all the dust settles.

Marc

Quick Reply: Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?