C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for tire repair kits?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Suggestions for tire repair kits?

I currently have run flats but will soon be looking to purchase regular tires (base C6 wheels on C5). In case I get a flat, what kind of tire repair kits should I keep on board? Plugs? Fix-A-Flat sprays? Any other tire related precautions?

BTW, I've always had a spare on my other vehicle so I've actually never had to plug a tire before so I'm interested in the easiest fix possible.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a Slime plug kit like this:

Plus one of those little 12V air compressors, and this Porsche Bilstein aluminum jack:

Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 AM
c345vette
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I carry a :

small air compressor
plug kit
2 cans fix a flat

all fits in a small duffel bag in the rear compartment.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I carry a AAA card.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_vette
I currently have run flats but will soon be looking to purchase regular tires (base C6 wheels on C5). In case I get a flat, what kind of tire repair kits should I keep on board? Plugs? Fix-A-Flat sprays? Any other tire related precautions?

BTW, I've always had a spare on my other vehicle so I've actually never had to plug a tire before so I'm interested in the easiest fix possible.

Thanks,
Craig
My 02 z came with a tite repair kit in back right corner compartment, it contains an air compressor that plugs into cigarette lighter socket and a can of fix-a-flat. What I did is got rid of can of fix-a-flat and replaced with a tire plug kit, needle nose pliers to remove nail etc. and a paint stick to mark the spot to be plugged. I do not carry a jack. This setup works, not long after I bought the car I picked up a nail in the rr tire. So at home I tried it out in the driveway. Found the nail and rolled car so the nail was facing back and down just past bottom of fender, marked spot with paint marker, removed nail with needle nose pliers, was able to plug tire in this position (without jacking car) and was surprised how fast the pump filled tire to 30psi. Now I drive with confidence that I a nail won't cause me to be sitting along road till I get a shop to repair my tire. 👍
Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Same here,but

Originally Posted by DVUSz06
My 02 z came with a tite repair kit in back right corner compartment, it contains an air compressor that plugs into cigarette lighter socket and a can of fix-a-flat. What I did is got rid of can of fix-a-flat and replaced with a tire plug kit, needle nose pliers to remove nail etc. and a paint stick to mark the spot to be plugged. I do not carry a jack. This setup works, not long after I bought the car I picked up a nail in the rr tire. So at home I tried it out in the driveway. Found the nail and rolled car so the nail was facing back and down just past bottom of fender, marked spot with paint marker, removed nail with needle nose pliers, was able to plug tire in this position (without jacking car) and was surprised how fast the pump filled tire to 30psi. Now I drive with confidence that I a nail won't cause me to be sitting along road till I get a shop to repair my tire. ��
I also have the USAA Road Service that costs little, I think $12 a year, and has always responded effectively to a call. Redundancy!!
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 03-03-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

This has gotten me out of several dangerous situations. It is quick and easy and is sensor safe. It is not always easy to find the source of a leak, especially at night. With this you are back on the road in minutes. It will get you home or to a shop where you can get the tire patched. I would not leave home without it, even in my vehicles that have spares.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You only need a small 12V portable air compressor. Today's tires are very well built. You would rarely have a catastrophic failure, and if you did, a tire patch would not help anyway.

If you have a slow leak, your DIC will warn you of a low tire condition. At this point , you simply pump the tire up to 40 psi ( yes 40 psi ) then continue on your journey, or to a shop that can properly fix your tire. You do not want to be fixing a tire on the side of the road....where you could be vulnerable to many things like being hit by a car, or mugged, and robbed. pumping a tire up takes a few minutes, fixing a tire requires more time and effort ( not worth the effort ).

Continuing down the road until your tire gets down to the low tire warning ( 25 psi ),this could be 25 minutes , it could be 30 minutes.. at this time simply pump the tire back up to 40 psi. This will insure that you can get to a safe haven , or home. You do not want to be jacking your car and trying to fix it on the side of the road... There is nothing wrong with carrying a patch kit, but the use of it on the side of the road would be an extreme anomaly. Be smart and be safe, use the compressor only. unless you have to do something else.

Bill aka ET
Old 03-03-2016, 02:28 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I decided to go with the Slime fix-a-flat + compressor combo. Looks like you can use the compressor even after you run out of slime spray. The reviews are pretty good on it and it's less than $40.

Amazon.com: Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System: Automotive Amazon.com: Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System: Automotive
Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I keep an air compressor in my car and that's about it. I had a flat a month ago, first one in a good while, and it really saved me. The newer style air compressor I have has a built in digital pressure gauge which makes it extremely easy to use in sketchy situations, such as during rush hour traffic when my flat occurred.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Another vote for the compressor/tire plug kit, has saved my butt many a time, always right after I buy new tires, too LOL
Driven many thousands of miles, drag raced etc on plugs never had one fail. Speed rating, say goodbye though

AAA helps but when youre on a tight sched one doesnt always have time
Pair of pliers and a multi type screwdriver/extra fuse in case the cig lighter also. If you have it youll never need it so go shopping.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
with both of the above. I don't want to be plugging a puncture on the side of the road or in a parking lot. I just want to keep enough air in the tire to get me to where I'm going, whether that's home or maybe straight to a tire shop to get the puncture properly repaired (with a plug/patch combo). So the only thing I carry is a Viair portable air compressor. It's powerful and fast in refilling the tire. Had to use it probably two years ago, got the low air pressure warning, pulled over when it was safe to, saw that I had pick up a damn screw, pumped the tire back up to a psi in the high 30's, made it home easily without another warning, pulled the tire and took it to Discount Tire where it got repaired for free. No big deal.
Exact same thing I did, except of course discount found my tire to be non-repairable and I had to buy a new one

Mine happened on 610 at 5:30, not a place I wanted to hang out for any longer than I needed to be there!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

E-T makes a good point about the danger of trying to fix a tire on the side of the road. I do carry a plug kit as well as an air compressor, and I have my cell phone and emergency road service on my car insurance policy. I think I would try filling the tire first and go a distance before trying the plug routine.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't had a flat yet, but I carry a kit with a compressor and a bottle of slime. Then I discovered that the kit does not include the tool to remove the valve core, which is necessary to inject the slime.

There is also the aerosol fix a flat, which doesn't require removing the valve core. Which works better?

I like the advice to skip the slime and just use the compressor. I've lost 2 tires on my truck due to running over a pointy object - a screw in the corner between tread and sidewall one of those hooked bungee cord things. Both times the object stayed in the tire and I did not flat.

I have State Farm insurance, which includes roadside assistance. No need for AAA.

Last edited by Lazarus Long; 03-04-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I haven't had a flat yet, but I carry a kit with a compressor and a bottle of slime. Then I discovered that the kit does not include the tool to remove the valve core, which is necessary to inject the slime.

There is also the aerosol fix a flat, which doesn't require removing the valve core. Which works better?

I like the advice to skip the slime and just use the compressor. I've lost 2 tires on my truck due to running over a pointy object - a screw in the corner between tread and sidewall one of those hooked bungee cord things. Both times the object stayed in the tire and I did not flat.

I have State Farm insurance, which includes roadside assistance. No need for AAA.
I prefer the aerosol fix a flat. It's a cheap, easy and quick way to get back on the road again. They have worked for me several times without a problem. I do carry a compressor and plug kit, but never used them. I like to get out of the danger zone as quickly as possible.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by huesmann

Plus one of those little 12V air compressors, and this Porsche Bilstein aluminum jack:

Have you used this jack on a C5? This looks like it uses the pinch weld to line up on the rocker panel. A C5 does not have this. Does it fit in the jacking points on the C5?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:21 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tommyn
Have you used this jack on a C5? This looks like it uses the pinch weld to line up on the rocker panel. A C5 does not have this. Does it fit in the jacking points on the C5?
The BMW jack works better for the C5 jacking pads.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyn
Yeah, but you don't need to stick the pinch weld in the slot if you don't have one. I think the nub of the pinch weld "fitting" on the jack works fine just stuck inside the lip around the jacking puck hole.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_vette
I decided to go with the Slime fix-a-flat + compressor combo. Looks like you can use the compressor even after you run out of slime spray. The reviews are pretty good on it and it's less than $40.

Amazon.com: Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System: Automotive
I have this in my cart, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for tire repair kits?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for tire repair kits?