Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Vette. Looking for advise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Vette. Looking for advise.

Hello all, first time here. I'm looking into buying a used c5 vette 6 speed. I am not sure if I want a convertible or targa top. How much more money does convertibles run over the targa tops as a rule? I don't think I want to go the Z06 route. Also wondering what I should be looking for when looking at these cars? Common problems, expensive items to be aware of etc? Hoping I can find a good one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2016, 01:46 PM
two250
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Verts seems to be cheaper than Coupes, at least around here. Try to get a year 2000+, early cars have an issue with the ABS module that's almost impossible to fix if it happens. That being said I wouldn't shy away from a 97 if the price is right. Make sure the steering column lock is bypassed too, if it is not plan on having that done so you don't get stranded. Other than that these cars are great! Just be on the lookout for normal issues you would with any used car.

Last edited by two250; 03-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by two250
Verts seems to be cheaper than Coupes, at least around here. Try to get a year 2000+, early cars have an issue with the ABS module that's almost impossible to fix if it happens. That being said I wouldn't shy away from a 97 if the price is right. Make sure the steering column lock is bypassed too, if it is not plan on having that done so you don't get stranded. Other than that these cars are great! Just be on the lookout for normal issues you would with any used car.
Interesting info, thank you! How do I tell if the steering column lock is bypassed? If it isn't, is this something I can do myself? Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Common problems:
water leaks
diff leaks
trans leaks
engine leaks
ABS module
weak grounds

list go's on! but these cars for the most part they are reliable you might run into a hickup here or there but they are easy to work on if your handy with tools and this forum once you get one becomes your best friend lol

1st thing is check the DIC

find out if there is any codes and what they are, then look the car over from top to bottom (really look under it) take a look at a few even if they out of your price range to help you judge the condition of the ones your interested in buying. if your unsure might be best to have it inspected before your purchase

these is a sticky that you should read lot of good info https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

Last edited by Stroker87; 03-26-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

And is this steering column lock issue only with early years 97-99 or 2000+ as well?
Old 03-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ky-please.html

i think its all years? my 03 had one and my 01

Last edited by Stroker87; 03-26-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Stroker87
Common problems:
water leaks
diff leaks
trans leaks
engine leaks
ABS module
weak grounds

list go's on! but these cars for the most part they are reliable you might run into a hickup here or there but they are easy to work on if your handy with tools and this forum once you get one becomes your best friend lol

1st thing is check the DIC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmeR-5D_9FI

find out if there is any codes and what they are, then look the car over from top to bottom (really look under it) take a look at a few even if they out of your price range to help you judge the condition of the ones your interested in buying. if your unsure might be best to have it inspected before your purchase

these is a sticky that you should read lot of good info https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

Excellent stuff thanks!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum!! Ok to correct some info, you may want to look at 2001+. Prior had the the ABS module faiure that could not be fixed at all. Plus there is a sticky at the top of the C5 General page that will answer a lot of your questions. 6 speeds were prone to the coloumn lock failure. Autos didn't have the locking mechanism IIRC. Good luck in your search
Old 03-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The steering lock issue was a problem on all manual tranny C5s (97-04) and on 1997-2000 automatics. In 2001 GM fixed the issue on automatics.
The following users liked this post:
Rico7142 (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

While a new/junior member to this forum, I am not new to buying all types of performance cars including corvettes. If you are undecided on type (coupe, vert etc) a good resource, and there are a number of them, is "cargurus.com". Plug in "corvette", list year span you are interested in and the site will provide you a plethora of vettes of all styles and models for sale from coast to coast, both dealer and private. I thought it a good familiarization tool. Also, don't settle, find the best well maintained, accident free and documented car you can, you'll be glad you did. All the points above made by forum members in previous replies should be taken very seriously, well worth it. This forum is one of, if not the very best I've seen and a tremendous help. Best wishes to you and good luck on your purchase. Remember, be selective!!
niko1962 (05-02-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Having bought many stick shift performance cars over the decades, I like to have the owner take it out first, and see how he treats the drivetrain. Some guys let it warm up, are gentle on syncros and the clutch, etc--that's money in the bank. Other guys blast off cold and are ham-fisted with the drivetrain, which will have premature wear, they are hard on everything. Also, look under the battery, where all the electronics are--any sign of corrosion. Buy the best one you can afford, that's generally money in the bank too.
niko1962 (05-02-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

was looking for a Z06 C5 ended up with a 02 vert, still has that trunk notchback look, love it
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

Hi all, thanks for all the advise. Are the verts generally good for wind noise, leaks and rattles? I like the look of them, they are a bit more money, still not sure what I really want.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

Advise - from a 2002 vert owner. Get the Carfax history to insure it's never been wrecked, flooded or salvage. Avoid vehicles that have aftermarket parts installed by amateur mechanics. Besides reliability issues you may encounter problems with state safety inspections related to smog controls. Have fun shopping and good luck!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 PM
bpanders
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your profile says you live in CA, I would determine how important taking the top off is to you. While you can do it fairly easily in a coupe, it's more of a hassle than it is worth if you're going on a short trip. If you think you're going to be going topless often, I would say convertible might be the way to go.

While some will say look for 01 or later, don't dismiss the earlier years if you find one with low miles. Price will be less too. I bought a 99 last year in great shape with a reasonable number of miles and no issues.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

really depends on what you are using the vette for, where you live, storage and what you like...etc. If it's a pleasure cruiser and you have a garage.....the vert would be a lot of fun. If it's a daily driver and you don't have indoor parking and live somewhere w severe weather....then a couple might be more suitable. Happy vette shopping!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

car fax is not 100% correct for car over 10 years old, my 03 had a clean carfax but found out a CC1 report showed 3 accidents (insurance adjuster showed me the report i was shocked)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy my first Vette. Looking for advise.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Dssrocks
Hi all, thanks for all the advise. Are the verts generally good for wind noise, leaks and rattles? I like the look of them, they are a bit more money, still not sure what I really want.
I've had 2 coupes and 2 convertibles, (c5's) and I'd take a convertible over a coupe in a heartbeat. I currently own a 2002. They are fairly quiet when the top is up because most of your noise in these cars are going to come from the wheel wells. I've never had any leak or rattle problems from the ragtops. The targa top is fun when it's off, but I just find the convertible top easier to use and I like the cars lines better than the coupe. Take some of the advice on here with a grain of salt, like an earlier one about coupes being worth more than convertibles. I guess if you live at the North Pole that might be true. Don't be scared of a pre 2001 model if it's in good condition. These computer module problems are fairly rare. Steering lock is a very common problem. That can be fixed though. Get a manual tranny, too.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 03-27-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Dssrocks
I have a 99 vert, 30k miles. Verts, I believe are just noisier inside than other models. Nothing bad or obnoxious in my opinion, I really don't even hear it or pay attention to it. Absolutely no rattles and no leaks on mine even in the rare event that I get caught in a heavy rain. Top up and down operation, though manual, is extremely fast and simple, can be done easily by one person very quickly. I just love open air motoring on a beautiful day! Best wishes to you!
Dssrocks (03-31-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Dssrocks
Heel & Toe

Just an update. I found a very nice vert I fell in love with from the perfect owner but I dragged my feet too long and lost it. Now I'm having a hard time finding another one as nice for the price. I Am also now interested in possibly the Z06, the extra nuts and handling is intriguing and I like the look. I'm now on the fence. Guys in the z06 forum say it's like a driving a totally different car. I haven't owned or even driven a C5 yet but I'm sure I would be blown away by the regular LS1 350hp. Hard to believe the LS6 Z06 would be that drastically different at about only a 15% hp increase. This is a tough one!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Vette. Looking for advise.