Targa top

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Fatbob
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Targa top

When I bought my 2001 coupe,the original owner said the top hasn't been off the car in years. There are no squeaks, rattles or wind noise coming off it now. If I remove it,what are the odds that it continues to be quiet. Also what should I use to preserve the rubber to prevent squeaks in the future. Never had a Targa before and am impressed with how quiet it is now and don't want that to change.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:15 PM
nzcars33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I use mothers leather vinyl and rubber and mine has no squeaks, good luck.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Default top

I take my top all the time depending on my mood and the weather, never had any problems with anything. I use armor-all to clean and condition rubber seal every now and then.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:26 PM
MightyMike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use GM silicone. It comes in a red tube. Works great. I have been using it for years.

You need to take the top off. It would only be right.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

GM actually recommends that you treat all of the weatherstripping with dielectric grease...I use it once a year and it actually stopped a slight drip I had on the pass window.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
GM actually recommends that you treat all of the weatherstripping with dielectric grease...I use it once a year and it actually stopped a slight drip I had on the pass window.
Absolutely correct...Its what I use, it can be bought at any auto [parts store.. FYI, as I've mentioned in the past.. the use of the wrong product could cost you, down the road . Things like Amoral, and even Vaseline Petroleum jelly, are supple, they have nitrates in them which will suck the life out of the natural oils in the rubber compounds. People can do what ever they want, but be careful what you use.
Bill aka ET

Any time you plug a wire into a spark plug, or plug a bulb into a socket on your car, use some of this stuff. to protect the connection from moisture.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
Rico7142 (04-03-2016), rrichar2591 (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Absolutely correct...Its what I use, it can be bought at any auto [parts store.. FYI, as I've mentioned in the past.. the use of the wrong product could cost you, down the road . Things like Amoral, and even Vaseline Petroleum jelly, are supple, they have nitrates in them which will suck the life out of the natural oils in the rubber compounds. People can do what ever they want, but be careful what you use.
Bill aka ET

Any time you plug a wire into a spark plug, or plug a bulb into a socket on your car, use some of this stuff. to protect the connection from moisture.
Just to clarify Bill, the grease does not go on the electrical connection itself, rather it goes on the exterior after connected. Dielectric grease is meant to prevent the flow of electricity but is great to keep the moisture out.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by frsr06
Just to clarify Bill, the grease does not go on the electrical connection itself, rather it goes on the exterior after connected. Dielectric grease is meant to prevent the flow of electricity but is great to keep the moisture out.
Like I said.. it goes " ON THE Connection " dip the tip of a light bulb in the grease then put it in the socket, there will never be a moisture problem at the connection, or connection contamination because of oxidation..
It goes directly on the tip of the spark plug, it keeps the connection moisture free, and also make it easy to remove the boots. Plugs should have anti seize on the threads. People can do what ever they want, I don't care... I offer my input and you can take it or leave it, I've been doing this stuff for 55 years... We use to use While lithium grease ( Lubriplate ) to effect the same results.
Bill aka ET
Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Like I said.. it goes " ON THE Connection " dip the tip of a light bulb in the grease then put it in the socket, there will never be a moisture problem at the connection, or connection contamination because of oxidation..
It goes directly on the tip of the spark plug, it keeps the connection moisture free, and also make it easy to remove the boots. Plugs should have anti seize on the threads. People can do what ever they want, I don't care... I offer my input and you can take it or leave it, I've been doing this stuff for 55 years... We use to use While lithium grease ( Lubriplate ) to effect the same results.
Bill aka ET
Di-electric grease is an electrical insulating compound. Applying to surfaces prior to joining connections such as battery cables increases the resistance rather than providing a more conductive joint. While I use Di-grease - its not as a lubricant between electrical conductors.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I use natural silicone lubricant on my weatherstripping and it keeps them in great shape. As mentioned earlier, dielectric grease works well too.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I use natural silicone lubricant on my weatherstripping and it keeps them in great shape. As mentioned earlier, dielectric grease works well too.
:agree:

Works great on weatherstripping...
Old 04-02-2016, 10:56 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dielectric for my vote. You'll need to wipe it clean a couple of times but works pretty well.

When you replace the targa top, check carefully that the various joins from the targa side weatherstrip are correctly into the slots. Especially at the halo bar. In my experience, previous owners were not careful doing that and I believe it will lead to the weatherstrip on the halo bar eventually deforming and or ripping. just replaced that weatherstrip last week. Now water tight and silent again.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 AM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by rx4arx
Dielectric for my vote. You'll need to wipe it clean a couple of times but works pretty well.

When you replace the targa top, check carefully that the various joins from the targa side weatherstrip are correctly into the slots. Especially at the halo bar. In my experience, previous owners were not careful doing that and I believe it will lead to the weatherstrip on the halo bar eventually deforming and or ripping. just replaced that weatherstrip last week. Now water tight and silent again.
my interior trim on the passenger side is deformed from the top being sat on top of the hole instead of in it. Not sure if it was me or previous owner. I know I did it myself once.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 AM
Fatbob
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

70 degrees in North Dakota I had to take it off and go for a drive. Nice in town but we had a pretty good wind so it wasn't the best on the highway. Went back on without issue and was still quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa top

Quick Reply: Targa top