C5 Final Design Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
So I understand:

1. Is it necessary to start a new thread every other day on this?

2. Would a negative criticism of the front end be unwelcome? Is this a space solely for "lovers"?
I'm not sure RC. It's a free country, but I think a little discretion should be used when someone is pouring their passion and wallet into a car and just sharing what they come up with. I share the photos, I don't necessarily ask for opinions on how I should proceed. That being said, I believe if someone wants to critique someone elses car and point out all the things they don't like, they themselves better be sitting in a show winning C5 that has something special to offer. I could have easily just bought a body kit. I could bolt on all the commercially available stuff. I chose to go a different route. Whether you like that route or not is fine. it won't change my vision of the car but opinions are fine. To each his own right?

It sounds like you are being negative right out of the gate. You can say whatever you want, this is America. I didn't see anything in the forum rules about posting multiple times on the same subject and have made friends with some of the moderators . If that was the case, half of the threads would be removed from this forum for repetition. You can go ahead with your assault on my design now RC. (Isn't that what you are asking?) I'm not here for trouble. I'm here to interact with fellow Vette lovers and not the know it all kid from The Polar Express. Know what I mean?

P.S Before assaulting the front end on my car, please remember its just a lowered version of the one that is on your car. All extensions follow the original C5 design lines.

Last edited by Eric02Vert; 04-10-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I like your ability to design this, although I do agree with the two things that were pointed out about BSM and the front end, I hope you don't mind the honesty, it would be a shame IMO to think people would not speek up about their opinion just because someone may not like it.

I started to type this before I saw the post above. Sorry

Last edited by Forcedvert; 04-09-2016 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eric02Vert (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:48 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

This design looks really good. You've dressed up the C5 in a way that brings it into more modern taste without altering the basic shape and style. Any yes, the BSMs look dashing.

Keep us posted as this project becomes a reality.
Eric02Vert (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I like your ability to design this, although I do agree with the two things that were pointed out about BSM and the front end, I hope you don't mind the honesty, it would be a shame IMO to think people would not speek up about their opinion just because someone may not like it.
Opinions are fine forcedvert I'm a reasonable person. Any doubters will have plenty of chances to pit their car against mine at the shows. I say this not arrogantly. I will win some and lose some. It's all good. The least thing I wanted to do when spending big hours and money was produce something that has been done before. Owning a Vette in itself shouldn't be a giant competition. We should all bring what we've got and be proud that we have it. But, if people want to get nasty then I say, Bring it, I will show you my trophy after the show. Cheers Brother

We can all debate, we shouldn't hate. This is what forums are all about. I wave at every Vette I pass. I will talk to anyone who approaches me respectfully. You see what I'm saying. It's all good
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Koufax
This design looks really good. You've dressed up the C5 in a way that brings it into more modern taste without altering the basic shape and style. Any yes, the BSMs look dashing.

Keep us posted as this project becomes a reality.
Thank you Sir
Next winter is when we are starting to get physical on the car. I want to drive it for one more summer as she sits now. This way we can add all the stuff all at once. From the Magnacharger to the Body fabrication.
Cheers my friend and thanks again
Old 04-10-2016, 03:54 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by akapounder
Way Awesome !!!!!!!! Love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the Chrome would be a more lasting look ///// That said I liked the yellow wheels also, so if you can switch you have the best of both worlds
Thanks Brother

I love both looks with both sets of wheels. I'm leaning towards the Forgestar CF5's and the OEM C6 wheels. A five spoke with concave would be ideal.

Let's cruise sometime! The Great Lakes tour!
Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric02Vert
I'm not sure RC. It's a free country, but I think a little discretion should be used when someone is pouring their passion and wallet into a car and just sharing what they come up with. I share the photos, I don't necessarily ask for opinions on how I should proceed. That being said, I believe if someone wants to critique someone elses car and point out all the things they don't like, they themselves better be sitting in a show winning C5 that has something special to offer. I could have easily just bought a body kit. I could bolt on all the commercially available stuff. I chose to go a different route. Whether you like that route or not is fine. it won't change my vision of the car but opinions are fine. To each his own right?

It sounds like you are being negative right out of the gate. You can say whatever you want, this is America. I didn't see anything in the forum rules about posting multiple times on the same subject and have made friends with some of the moderators . If that was the case, half of the threads would be removed from this forum for repetition. You can go ahead with your assault on my design now RC. (Isn't that what you are asking?) I'm not here for trouble. I'm here to interact with fellow Vette lovers and not the know it all kid from The Polar Express. Know what I mean?

P.S Before assaulting the front end on my car, please remember its just a lowered version of the one that is on your car. All extensions follow the original C5 design lines.
A simple "no" would be sufficient.

On "show" winning...does SEMA count? It's not a show of "winners", simply of standard. Repeat builders generally have a reputation of having an opinion that is based upon a styling movement that parallels fashion.

To be more specific...my criticism wasn't really of anything in particular. It's simple, only accentuates the body lines, etc. I don't think it's "offensive" in terms of design. The front bumper rendering in the other thread I thought was a bit...off though. I just say no more I suppose. Carry on.

I will say, that I believe you're pre-marketing these by posting multiple threads, renditions, etc, in order to gauge buyer interest. Would you say that's accurate?

Last edited by RC000E; 04-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Thick skin sure helps here ????
The following 3 users liked this post by Pounder:
Eric02Vert (04-10-2016), Fast Cars & Horses (04-10-2016), olbear1962 (05-01-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

On "show" winning...does SEMA count? Yes, if you are a manufacturer

I will say, that I believe you're pre-marketing these by posting multiple threads, renditions, etc, in order to gauge buyer interest. Would you say that's accurate?

I am not sure where you got the idea that I'm marketing this kit. I said I would try to make them available to people that liked the design. I would have nothing to do with it other than be the original designer. I did this for my car out of love for the C5.

I am not a business, Just a Vette Enthusiast.

Let's start over. I'm Eric , nice to meet you RC
Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

So if you're a SEMA exhibitor, your presence is only commendable to Eric02 if you're a "manufacturer"? Care to explain that mentality?

Last edited by RC000E; 04-12-2016 at 11:16 AM.
FYRARMS (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

As a matter of fact, I worked with Extreme Dimension. They produced parts for us. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

As a matter of fact, I worked with Extreme Dimension. They produced parts for us. Good luck.
Nice to meet you RC. Congratulations

Last edited by Eric02Vert; 04-12-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I posted in your other thread...the most recent of the 5 or so. Let's just follow up there.
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I posted in your other thread...the most recent of the 5 or so. Let's just follow up there.
You mean the one that was closed by Mods as I said it would be?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

It's all good, I was never trying to sell anything. I am not a business.
That should teach me for trying to help make available to others what I will ultimately pay much more for. Shame on me. It won't happen again. I do not need to win any wee wee matches online. I will go ahead and finish the design and build my C5. Have a Good Day
Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Getting into the composites/body kit business, on the hopes and dreams of a dated platform is absolutely the wrong approach, I'll tell you up front. If you're outsourcing your entire business, you're going to need significant capital investment up front, and you need to go with a platform that is backed by higher demand and fatter wallets. C5 is lingering in a region of bang for the buck and the best cars, holding the strongest value are stock ones....namely stock Z06's.

As I said, if you like it, build it yourself on your own car. What you're proposing has no market...little to no, that is. IF you could produce the molds yourself...basic low production molds, then it MAY be worth it if you could find some customers, but that's pushing it. If you want to start in custom composites, you need to start more basic.

On the production side, you have options in china. I've got contacts with many producers there that will build what you want, but again, they are business people too...you need a lot of up front investment.

Getting huffy isn't the answer. You're not "helping" anyone here with this body kit rendering, posted in 5 or more threads. I personally think what you propose is a lot better than the lambo doors and chrome crap some other people do, but in terms of a marketed product, you better have something stronger out of the gate than that, AND lower cost. As stated, your kit would be an entire body essentially...multi piece production level molds for more than one piece...just your initial development costs would be well into the 5 figures. You'd have to sell the kits at 6k-9k initially, just to MAYBE recover your investment...that's post marketing, all your hours, etc. It's a loss model...period.
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Getting into the composites/body kit business, on the hopes and dreams of a dated platform is absolutely the wrong approach, I'll tell you up front. If you're outsourcing your entire business, you're going to need significant capital investment up front, and you need to go with a platform that is backed by higher demand and fatter wallets. C5 is lingering in a region of bang for the buck and the best cars, holding the strongest value are stock ones....namely stock Z06's.

As I said, if you like it, build it yourself on your own car. What you're proposing has no market...little to no, that is. IF you could produce the molds yourself...basic low production molds, then it MAY be worth it if you could find some customers, but that's pushing it. If you want to start in custom composites, you need to start more basic.

On the production side, you have options in china. I've got contacts with many producers there that will build what you want, but again, they are business people too...you need a lot of up front investment.

Getting huffy isn't the answer. You're not "helping" anyone here with this body kit rendering, posted in 5 or more threads. I personally think what you propose is a lot better than the lambo doors and chrome crap some other people do, but in terms of a marketed product, you better have something stronger out of the gate than that, AND lower cost. As stated, your kit would be an entire body essentially...multi piece production level molds for more than one piece...just your initial development costs would be well into the 5 figures. You'd have to sell the kits at 6k-9k initially, just to MAYBE recover your investment...that's post marketing, all your hours, etc. It's a loss model...period.
I have said this multiple times. I'm not a business nor am I marketing this idea. I was sharing the design with the forum. Where I went wrong is trying to secure a way to duplicate my design for others if they wanted it. I appreciate your expertise and advice, I'm just not a business, therefore am not worried about the aftermarket for the car.
I PM'd you by the way in regards to this one off.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Final Design Update

Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black 02
It sure wasn't the intent

Last edited by Eric02Vert; 04-12-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eric02Vert
I have said this multiple times. I'm not a business nor am I marketing this idea. I was sharing the design with the forum. Where I went wrong is trying to secure a way to duplicate my design for others if they wanted it. I appreciate your expertise and advice, I'm just not a business, therefore am not worried about the aftermarket for the car.
I PM'd you by the way in regards to this one off.
Well, of course you're marketing it. You're coming into an assembled forum (demo target) of C5 Corvette owners, proposing a group purchase and speaking openly about coordinating with composite production companies.

As stated...build it one off. A shop will likely charge you a MINIMUM of 8k to do that, including paint. Not to mention, the methods they will likely employ will have the car carrying around an additional 150lbs of mass. I'd build it mostly out of foam, undersized by a 1/16, then overlay it, pull the parts, then mold it in. I've done tons of this work, but our locations are too far apart. I'm over 800 miles from you.

Again, I think you can do better on the front...it's boring.

Do more renditions of it, keep it in this thread.

Quick Reply: C5 Final Design Update