C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member C5 Corvette What to do?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM
95ViperRT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member C5 Corvette What to do?

I looked at a 2003 Corvette coupe 6 spd today with just under 20,000 miles. Car was in perfect condition. Could not find a single scratch or anything. The only issue is the carfax report. It is a one owner car but shows it was in a minor accident in 2004. The owner mentioned this to me when I asked if the car had been in an accident, but assured me the car has never been in an accident. He is in the process of getting this fixed with carfax and has a report from the state police showing it has never been in an accident.

From the searching I have done I have not seen anyone who has been successful at getting carfax to update/fix anything. I really like the car but am worried about cars value in the future if I ever decided to sell it. He said the lowest he would take is $21,000. Looking for opinions on what you would do and if anyone has had success updating a carfax report? If carfax doesn't remove the accident will the resale value be affected greatly if I have a report from the state police showing no accidents?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think if I had documentation that the car was never in an accident and a check by a trusted mechanic/body shop shows no evidence, I would not have a problem with the car.
The following users liked this post:
doublenut9 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Like Jack said, plus that's a pretty good price for a low mileage '03

Last edited by Sonny71; 04-17-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Pappy11
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I was told mine was a one car owner...it was not...Car Fax was Clean...but when it went in to the detail shop He pointed out several area's where it had been painted..front bumper, driver door,,,passenger door..and right rear panel...several area's...when I called the dealership and the Owner he said only the front bumper had been painted...Car Fax showed nothing...bad part is they only show what was reported...
Old 04-17-2016, 09:33 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Just my thoughts on this. Low mileage isn't everything. If at all possible, unless you are intimately knowledgeable about C5s, get it to a good independent shop or tech that really knows these cars for a thorough bumper to bumper check. On the reported accident there are many law enforcement agencies that make out accident reports, not just the state police. If in fact the car was involved in an accident, and you were being misled (lied to) I would be at that point on high alert and very suspicious. What about service/maintenance records? A long, long time ago a very knowledgeable buyer told me "always approach the possible purchase of a car or house like it has a fatal illness, make it prove to you otherwise, your job is to find that illness". If you don't find it you can move forward with some confidence if all else is as it should be. Any questions, post them on this forum, there are some incredibly well informed nice folks here that will give freely of their time and knowledge to help you out. Got a little long winded, sorry 'bout that! Good luck on your vette hunt and best wishes!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Just plan on keeping it forever and resale value won't mean anything at all.

Seriously...have it checked out.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You haven't even bought the car yet, and you are already thinking about selling it.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You haven't even bought the car yet, and you are already thinking about selling it.
if the car is good enough for you and you do your homework, why do you think it will be a problem if/when you go to sell it?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 AM
95ViperRT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will definately have the car inspected. He had very detailed records and receipts of service performed since it was new. He only used mobil one and ac delco or fram oil filters. Car still had the original tires and they had a good amount of tread left. I was not already thinking about selling it but if something did come up where I would have to sell I don't want the carfax to greatly affect the value if it doesn't get updated.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I have an 03 that I had the hood and head light covers repainted. My wife scraped the snoot on the rear bumper of another car in a parking lot.

Since I had some rock chips on the hood I just went ahead an basically had the whole front repainted. Was it in an accident, yes sorta. . but it really wasn't and was not reported. And now the front is pristine.

Would someone buying my car get concerned the front was a repaint? Probably. I guess I would too until I found out the facts either thru the owner or by a qualified body shop inspection to determine it was only cosmetic. Get someone to take a close look and then you don't have to worry.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

It looks good from here! Buy it!

Get notified of new replies

To New Member C5 Corvette What to do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member C5 Corvette What to do?