Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendation for T Hook and Strap (for trailing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:03 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Need recommendation for T Hook and Strap (for trailing)

Hi guys,

I own a 99 corvette that I race. Mostly Scca solo. Some of the nationals events are 9-11 hours away (each way) and the national finale is in Lincoln, NE which is about 20 hours away. Though corvette is pretty comfy on highway, I want to buy a trailer and trail my c5 vette. After doing my research on the forum, it seems T hooks and straps are the most common/safe/reliable option. I was never a fan of wheel tie down anyway as I personally felt it would change alignment or put stress on suspension component on long haul? I could be wrong. I'm looking at some trailers - aluminum vs. steel (open middle). I'll hopefully finalize in a week.

Here's what I need your help: I need links or website or contact info for where you bought your T hooks and straps (model no, weight limit of hook/strap etc). Please tell me the exact item that you bought (which has been working great for trailing your vette) and I will buy it. Even if I don't end up buying the trailer on time (race is on 5/6/16), I'll prob rent one. So either way I need these hooks and straps right away.

Thanks for you help.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Bump for you as I have the same question for my Z. I was looking at the Sparco strap to put behind the license plate in the front to be able to use a winch to pull the car up on a trailer. Post this in the autocross section (if you haven't already). You'll get more help there.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

another bump - sorry I do not have my part numbers.

I like the axle straps and the "T" hook system seems to bounce or float a bit more on the trailer but never had a problem I prefer the "T" hooks but think the axle strap keeps it pinned to the trailer tighter. I have both types.

I may be interested in selling my trailer, the fenders are lowered so the doors can open while on the trailer and it has additional D rings welded for tiedown ...

GL

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 04-23-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:58 AM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Tie Downs

Can get these at truck transport sites or Google "Car Tie Down Hooks"

Trailer with Ramp Overs....the best

Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

These are what I bought for towing situations: Pierce Arrow Towing T-Hook

http://www.amazon.com/Pierce-Sales-Arrow-Towing-T-Hook/dp/B0000AXA6N?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 http://www.amazon.com/Pierce-Sales-Arrow-Towing-T-Hook/dp/B0000AXA6N?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

If you're using your own straps, it should work fine. I was really disappointed because the only time I ordered a flatbed tow, the driver said his hooks were too large to fit, so he strapped over the wheels.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's a link to a good quality ratchet strap with a T-hook. Note that the weight rating is 10,000 lbs. That is a "gross" rating. The important thing to look for is the "WLL" or Working Load Limit. That rating is actually 1/3 of the gross rating whis would be about 3300 lbs per strap.

Most of the companies that sell ratchet straps will have a variety of strap lengths. (you can look thru that web page by clicking on "Race Car" then "Kits"). You should look for the location of the D-rings on the trailer you are considering and then figure out an approximate distance from the ratchet to where the strap attaches to the car. Make sure that either the front or rear straps are crossed so that measurement may be slightly longer than the other pair. Crossed straps will also insure that the straps don't rub on the tires.

When looking at trailers, make sure that the combined weight of the car, trailer, and any tools, tires, etc., don't exceed 80-85% of the towing capacity of the tow vehicle.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you everyone for you replies. Very helpful!

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
...I may be interested in selling my trailer, the fenders are lowered so the doors can open while on the trailer and it has additional D rings welded for tiedown ...

GL
What kind of trailer? Aluminum?

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Here's a link to a good quality ratchet strap with a T-hook. Note that the weight rating is 10,000 lbs. That is a "gross" rating. The important thing to look for is the "WLL" or Working Load Limit. That rating is actually 1/3 of the gross rating whis would be about 3300 lbs per strap.
I love that! it's like everything I need all in one! So one end (T hook) will go to Vette under where puck goes and other end can go on D ring? I think I'm going to order it unless I see a better option. Though I have a question, what are these options? Why would I put sheepskin on my tow straps?

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Most of the companies that sell ratchet straps will have a variety of strap lengths. (you can look thru that web page by clicking on "Race Car" then "Kits"). You should look for the location of the D-rings on the trailer you are considering and then figure out an approximate distance from the ratchet to where the strap attaches to the car. Make sure that either the front or rear straps are crossed so that measurement may be slightly longer than the other pair. Crossed straps will also insure that the straps don't rub on the tires.

When looking at trailers, make sure that the combined weight of the car, trailer, and any tools, tires, etc., don't exceed 80-85% of the towing capacity of the tow vehicle.
Good information. Good to know. I have never trailed or towed ANYTHING! This is going to be very first time!

As for trailers, I saw those steel solid floor and steel (open in the middle) bc the price is so desirable! You can get a brand new trailer for $2300-$2600! Then I started adding the weight of these trailers and they are most certainly heavy. So I started looking into Aluminum Trailer. It seems like they are much lighter and has a better resale value if I wanna try to sale it. So I'm in touch with R and R now. We shall see.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Metalgearsolid_x; 04-23-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need recommendation for T Hook and Strap (for trailing)

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for T Hook and Strap (for trailing)