Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 PM
toyotabike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette

Found this and seemed like a really nice build for very little money. Would this be a good buy?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...556845523.html
Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Looks like a deal to me...Good Luck
Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotabike
Found this and seemed like a really nice build for very little money. Would this be a good buy?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...556845523.html
Just keep in mind it's not a genuine z06
Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I would NEVER consider this... NEVER... there are more than 9,000 dollars in parts here.
If you want someone else's problems. hubs and axles used short block? heads, rear, drive line this car was a beater, and I would never put ten grand into someone else's abortion.

This was someone else's head ache and they are now looking to get out from under. Could I be wrong? Sure... but I doubt it...
Just my very educated opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Studying4boards (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM
JK's01Z06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why put that kind of money into a car and buy a used 70K mile short block?
If the car is local to you go drive it. See for yourself what the car is.
Just remember it might have 3K miles on the build but the engine has 70K miles on it, not 3K
I personally would never buy a used short block and put that much money into everything else.
This is why I just put $5800 into my New short block.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I would NEVER consider this... NEVER... there are more than 9,000 dollars in parts here.
If you want someone else's problems. hubs and axles used short block? heads, rear, drive line this car was a beater, and I would never put ten grand into someone else's abortion.

This was someone else's head ache and they are now looking to get out from under. Could I be wrong? Sure... but I doubt it...
Just my very educated opinion.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

No indication of how many miles on the car. Wonder why? Gomer and his buddies got a bunch of used parts and mail order parts, a few cases of beer and got it running. $6,300 in the last two months plus the price of the car, now selling for cents on a dollar. Great deal or a nightmare? Will it pass California emission testing? Warranty? I doubt it. It's nothing I would ever consider.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JK's01Z06
Why put that kind of money into a car and buy a used 70K mile short block?
If the car is local to you go drive it. See for yourself what the car is.
Just remember it might have 3K miles on the build but the engine has 70K miles on it, not 3K
I personally would never buy a used short block and put that much money into everything else.
This is why I just put $5800 into my New short block.
Uh, maybe because 70k miles is nothing on these cars? If there was a steal on a 70k mile ls6 I would buy it right now, it still has tons of life left in it.

Really, the car could be a great deal, or it could be ragged out. Seeing in person and actually driving it will be the only way to know.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

70K miles @ 1/4 mile at a time. could be a well abused motor, even if it had 70 K on it, and without the PCM how much faith do you have in someone telling you it has 70 K on it. It could have 270K on it.

Again everything about this says " NO ". who needs new hubs, new axels, new clutch and drive train, torque tube, rear differential, etc? who put the motor together? Some back yard kid who destroyed the original motor drive train etc. Now wants to unload it because he's had enough grief.
I wont post in this thread again.. I'm fairly sure I got my point across.

the question was "Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette "

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-30-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:28 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
70K miles @ 1/4 mile at a time. could be a well abused motor, even if it had 70 K on it, and without the PCM how much faith do you have in someone telling you it has 70 K on it. It could have 270K on it.

Again everything about this says " NO ". who needs new hubs, new axels, new clutch and drive train, torque tube, rear differential, etc? who put the motor together? Some back yard kid who destroyed the original motor drive train etc. Now wants to unload it because he's had enough grief.
I wont post in this thread again.. I'm fairly sure I got my point across.

the question was "Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette "

Bill aka ET
Sure it might have more miles, but why lie and say 70k miles then? Why not say 10k?

Even with 150k miles, if it has good compression and no leaks/odd sounds, I wouldn't care.

The fact of the matter is, without seeing the car and checking it out, we don't know.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:34 AM
toyotabike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely don't want to pick up someone else's problems.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Not knowing the quality of all that work would be more than enough to make me not even go look at the car.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:27 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

i've seen a LOT of teens with LS1 f-bodys that beat the hell out of them with 150k on them and the cars ran great! family members has and had ls base engines well over 200k on them no problems at all, my last z06 had 105k on it, my 2000 z28 had 115k & my 6.0 swap 04 silverado had 80k on the engine every one ran fine

that days of engines only lasting 100k are long gone especially since most new cars say 100k in between tune ups

i say take a look at it your self it you like what you see have it inspected by a chevy dealer that deals with a lot of corvettes if it passes inspection jump on it if it dont move on

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
Not knowing the quality of all that work would be more than enough to make me not even go look at the car.
how do you know the work was not done by a ASE mechanic?

Last edited by Stroker87; 05-01-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Personally, I would NEVER consider this collection of parts and pieces. I might be wrong, but to me its got a huge red flashing danger sign all over it. There is a good selection of clean, untampered with C5's available (check cargurus.com , this forum under "C5's for sale" and a number of other sites) all across the country. Why risk your hard earned money on such an unknown. I think the possibility of ending up in a train wreck on this thing is very, very high. Best wishes to you!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with friou. While every thing might be just fine. With ALL that work having been done the risk of a nightmare is quite high. If it was the only car available might be worth the risk. But there are plenty out there to chose from.

I was in a similar situation starting in Feb here in the northeast. I had decided to get a c5. Knew nothing about the car or somewhat more importantly the process involved in finding and buying one.

I have been around cars for many years. While not a great wrench I know enough to know what i am looking at. However, the very first one I saw and drove had me all starry eyed. It was at a dealer. I even negotiated a price. That after a pretty good look at the car and test drive. My gut told me to move on. But I was seduced by the look and driving my first one. Fortunately the deal did not work. Because looking back I realize it was not a good car.

Long story short. That near miss caused me to settle down and be patient. Took 3 more months and looking at a decent number of cars. Just bought my 2001 with 47k on it. Stock and very clean. Well worth the wait and effort.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Loby 1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would shy away from this on due too many unknowns.

There are plenty of quality C5 vets out there, just be patient.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I'll say it again... looks like a deal to me...NOT saying it looks like a "good deal" or a "bad deal" just looks like a deal to me... it's up to YOU to decide and make the call if it's a good or bad deal to YOU... unfortunately sometimes you don't really know till it's a DONE deal...

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette

Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

What is a FRC roller in good shape worth? That is the question I would ask first.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

I'd agree with 73, doesn't seem like a good or bad deal. If it was me I'd try and take it for a pretty long drive and see how everything holds up. Also I would be some what hesitant if I was needing a reliable dd. I've seen cheaper stock cars though.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
I agree with friou. While every thing might be just fine. With ALL that work having been done the risk of a nightmare is quite high. If it was the only car available might be worth the risk. But there are plenty out there to chose from.

I was in a similar situation starting in Feb here in the northeast. I had decided to get a c5. Knew nothing about the car or somewhat more importantly the process involved in finding and buying one.

I have been around cars for many years. While not a great wrench I know enough to know what i am looking at. However, the very first one I saw and drove had me all starry eyed. It was at a dealer. I even negotiated a price. That after a pretty good look at the car and test drive. My gut told me to move on. But I was seduced by the look and driving my first one. Fortunately the deal did not work. Because looking back I realize it was not a good car.

Long story short. That near miss caused me to settle down and be patient. Took 3 more months and looking at a decent number of cars. Just bought my 2001 with 47k on it. Stock and very clean. Well worth the wait and effort.
Hello, Its easy to get seduced by something new, especially if its your first! Wait, I am talking about vettes!! Anyway, as someone who has bought and sold performance cars of all types for forty + years, I've learned through experience (sometimes hard) that you've got to have the patience of an oyster in your search. Best wishes!

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal on C5 Corvette