Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Exhaust advice (Part 2)

Been looking to replace my stock exhaust on 2001 C5. It is too tame. But not looking too go wild either. Looking for a nice rumble at idle with a good sound under hard acceleration. But quite (no drone) in the cabin at cruising speeds.

Seems that one of the Corsa systems will do the trick. But the prices seem high. That plus budget constraints keep them out of play.

Been trying to find a used Z06 exhaust. But have been frustrated by people who have them, are ready willing and able to sell them, get within inches of finalizing a deal and then they simply vanish. Not even a return email etc to say they sold it to someone else or what ever the reason. All the while leaving me chasing them for a while not knowing what is going on. Frustrating and not cool.

So, I have done some digging and so far have come up with the following: The prices are $600-$650.

The first one has sound clips. Sounds like what i am looking for. Although the 'cruising' clip is only at 90 kpm which is about 56 mph. I wonder how it would be at 80 mph?

The second one from Huron Speed I stumbled across in an old thread on this forum. No sound clips on their site. But found one on youtube. The description on their site sounds like what I am looking for. They say no drone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...BS6DTw&vxp=mtr

http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/X...ck-XSPC525.htm

Sound clip from youtube for the Huron. Sounds nice. But no clip at cruising. Although the owner does say "No drone"

There are even less expensive systems to be found in the $350-$400 range. But those scare me. The price is just too low to give me any confidence in the quality etc.

Yes, I know you get what you pay for. Therefore a Corsa system at $1200-$1400 must be better than a $600 system. But these days that is not necessarily true. In case either or both of these systems are made in China. A close friend of mine has done a huge amount of work with numerous Chinese manufactures for many years now. He simply says that the Chinese can make anything as well as anyone else at this point.

So................please take a look and listen and help a guy out here. Obviously if anyone has FHE (first hand experience) with either of these i would love your feed back. And I am open to other suggestions.

Last edited by Ducati Guy; 05-02-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If your struggling to find a Ti system (Which is what I would recommend.) then simply pull the trigger on the XS Power exhaust. I've heard good things about it, especially for the price. Will it be as nice as a Corsa system? Definitely not. The real question is though, will you really notice the difference? I say no. I had Corsa exhaust on my '00 vert. Sounded great, but... I'd rather spend $1500 on long tube headers than on any catback exhaust system. Now if money weren't an issue, it'd be a different story. How many of us actually have that luxury though? If all you're looking for is an increase in rumble through the rpm's- go for the XS Power.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:48 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

I have the XS Power exhaust system on my C5 and love it. Nice rumble at idle and really sounds mean in the higher rpms. There is very little drone. The fit and finish were perfect. The whole system is fully polished and looks really good. I actually paid 550 shipped as I got a coupon from them for a sale they had. I honestly wouldnt spend over a 1k just for an exhaust system. Corsa is the top dog for exhaust systems so if u are willing to pay 1500 go far it, their quality and sound is top notch.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the original seller said mine has a Indy Pace Exhaust. Is this a good exhaust?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by craig_vette
I believe the original seller said mine has a Indy Pace Exhaust. Is this a good exhaust?
I believe that is a discontinued (or renamed) Corsa model.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

hold out for a Z06 Ti exhaust. It's well made, OEM quality, sounds incredible, and generally is not that expensive. There are generally a couple of them floating around in the classifieds at any given time. Check on your local craigslist too.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, it is an excellent exhaust. I have that same system on my car and love it.

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
I believe that is a discontinued (or renamed) Corsa model.
You're right, it is now called the Corsa Sport.

To the OP - before you purchase a system, check the C5 Parts for Sale section for a set of used Corsa catbacks. If you can find one, they are usually much cheaper than new.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A Ti system on a NON ZO6 STOCK ENGINE is NOT going to make a significant improvement on exhaust note if that's what you are looking for.

I installed a ZO6 Ti system on my 98 coupe because:

I hated the OEM tip look! The ZO6 Ti fixed that 100%!!

I hated the OEM Sound! FAIL! It was a little better at WOT but part throttle and Idle was barely noticeable!

NOTE! If you have an aftermarket cam and higher compression heads mods,,, it will make a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!

Weight! The TI system weighs 24 pounds less that an OEM System!!

BOLT UP OEM EASY!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
A Ti system on a NON ZO6 STOCK ENGINE is NOT going to make a significant improvement on exhaust note if that's what you are looking for.

I installed a ZO6 Ti system on my 98 coupe because:

I hated the OEM tip look! The ZO6 Ti fixed that 100%!!

I hated the OEM Sound! FAIL! It was a little better at WOT but part throttle and Idle was barely noticeable!

NOTE! If you have an aftermarket cam and higher compression heads mods,,, it will make a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!

Weight! The TI system weighs 24 pounds less that an OEM System!!

BOLT UP OEM EASY!
Just what I needed to know. Meaning the lack of any significant sound improvement. I would have thought it would have. But thinking about it your finding make sense. The Z06 exhaust was designed and engineered to work with the Z06 engine and produce the right sound etc. Put that exhaust on an engine that it was not designed for and expect it to sound as it does with "it's" engine is a reach.

The after market exhausts are designed to sound a certain way for a specific engine. Mating the proper exhaust to the engine seems to be the way to go.

Besides the price differential between a used Z06 system including shipping and a brand new system with warranty etc is about $225 more for new. Not all that much.

Now I need to decide between the XS Power or the Top Speed. So far I have gotten very good feedback on the XS Power. None on the Top Speed.

Thanks again for a very helpful response.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Best choice for a C5 in my opinion, I've had it on my Car for 16 year, I could sell them tomorrow for 800 dollars, but then there is nothing out there that compares, or is a better sound.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that XS video just the cat back? I have a magnaflow catback and it does not make my car sound that cammed / throaty. Sounds very nice if the catback is the only mod.

Last edited by Matt.S; 05-02-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Ti exhaust sound no different than a stock exhaust on a stock LSX motor but its a little bit lighter... Now add headers and the TI is a perfect combination.
Corsa is the only system out there with no drone at cruise 1400 to 1800 in 6th gear.
The touring Corsa system sounds just like stock. the New sport ( Ols Indy pace car ) is what I have and they are perfect even after so many years.. if you want a litle more aggressive then the extremes are your option, and they too have no drone at cruise speed.
Some one mentioned the XS Power exhaust system being cheap... and NOt Corsa sounding.. so then .. get something cheap , or get something that works. there is a reason why XS power is half the cost . I know there will be a lot of backlash from XS Power users.. I really don't care... the OP asked for opinion. I gave mine.
There is a reason why they cost what they do...

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-02-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Far be it for me to disagree with the 2 legendary "Bills", but the Z06 exhaust I put on my new coupe, makes a sound difference-it sounds very similar to the Z I had. I have a friend with a automatic convertible who did the same conversion at the same time and he feels his sound didn't change too much and it does not sound like mine.
All that being said, barring cost, the Corsa Sport with Tigershark tips is my favorite. It's amazing how the idle and run civilized, but when pushed, they bring the house down.
I got lucky and paid $240 including installation for my Ti exhaust. But they are out there.
Not to offend anyone with the XS or other inexpensive eBay exhaust but I don't think they sound good at all.

Last edited by chasboy; 05-02-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:25 AM
melloyello01
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the xspower exhaust. I, like you, wanted a nice sound for a nice price. I did a ton of research and read all the reviews and listened to as many clips as I could find. I didnt buy because they were a great price. I bought them because they were a great value for a reasonable price. I've had them 3 years now and couldn't be more satisfied. I did not want the 70's glass pack sound that sounded like you wanted to race everyone as you idled at the stoplight. These have a nice low rumble at idle, then a gradual growl as you start to accelerate, then a really nice roar when you put your foot in it. My wife and have done 2 - 4000+ mile road trips, the one thing that would not be tolerated on those 8-10 hour drive days was drone. The only time you hear these things is only when you are accelerating. At level constant speed they just purrr. The quality is top notch, stainless steel, very nice welds, and nice looking tips. Install was easy as expected. Tips a little hard to get perfect but enough to be acceptable. I know a lot will say you get what you paid for. In this case, you get way more than what you paid for. Hope this helps, sorry for being a little long. But there's a lot to say.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by melloyello01
I have the xspower exhaust. I, like you, wanted a nice sound for a nice price. I did a ton of research and read all the reviews and listened to as many clips as I could find. I didnt buy because they were a great price. I bought them because they were a great value for a reasonable price. I've had them 3 years now and couldn't be more satisfied. I did not want the 70's glass pack sound that sounded like you wanted to race everyone as you idled at the stoplight. These have a nice low rumble at idle, then a gradual growl as you start to accelerate, then a really nice roar when you put your foot in it. My wife and have done 2 - 4000+ mile road trips, the one thing that would not be tolerated on those 8-10 hour drive days was drone. The only time you hear these things is only when you are accelerating. At level constant speed they just purrr. The quality is top notch, stainless steel, very nice welds, and nice looking tips. Install was easy as expected. Tips a little hard to get perfect but enough to be acceptable. I know a lot will say you get what you paid for. In this case, you get way more than what you paid for. Hope this helps, sorry for being a little long. But there's a lot to say.
Excellent. Worth waiting for and reading your reply. Just the info I was looking for. From a long time user with similar goals.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:18 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt.S
Is that XS video just the cat back? I have a magnaflow catback and it does not make my car sound that cammed / throaty. Sounds very nice if the catback is the only mod.
Cat back only. I like the sound
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by chasboy
Far be it for me to disagree with the 2 legendary "Bills", but the Z06 exhaust I put on my new coupe, makes a sound difference-it sounds very similar to the Z I had. I have a friend with a automatic convertible who did the same conversion at the same time and he feels his sound didn't change too much and it does not sound like mine.
All that being said, barring cost, the Corsa Sport with Tigershark tips is my favorite. It's amazing how the idle and run civilized, but when pushed, they bring the house down.
I got lucky and paid $240 including installation for my Ti exhaust. But they are out there.
Not to offend anyone with the XS or other inexpensive eBay exhaust but I don't think they sound good at all.

chasboy

I LOVE the Ti system. Like I stated, it made my 98 coupe look a LOT nicer and I removed a little weight from the car. They will never RUST/corrode and it did improve the sound of the exhaust a little bit.

After OWNING a ZO6 (during that same time period) I fully expected the ZO6 Ti mufflers to make my 98 coupe sound like my 02 ZO6!

BOY,,, What a LET DOWN! I did the swap at the Base Hobby shop and the shop manager LAUGHED at me when I cranked the 98 up after the UP-GRADE. He said.. WOW, SOUNDS THE SAME TO ME!

The ZO6 Ti muffler system WILL improve the exhaust note on a non ZO6 car but,,, it is NOT something to WRITE HOME ABOUT.

Something else to consider:

1. The ZO6 Ti system is very DRONE resistant! If you select a muffler system that has bad DRONE, you will for sure want to sell it very quickly find something else!

2. The ZO6 Ti system can easily support into the 500Hp range before it becomes a significant restriction to exhaust flow.

Its almost a straight through flowing muffler!

Here is the inside of the Ti muffler.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-03-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust advice (Part 2)

Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Thanks Bill, for me drone, the looks and quality of the Z exhaust were very important. The stock looks and sounds too tame. It took the mechanic who I bought it from about 20 min to install and align the pipes to his satisfaction. ( he's a Corvette guy too) it just fits.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

It's difficult to ship uncut factory Ti catbacks, so that's one reason they're harder to find. I would agree with those that state the sound difference is negligible. Over the years I've had 5 different catbacks, and for the last 9 years they've been Corsa Indys. Very loud with a modified motor, but controlled by your right foot, and no drone.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

As a suggestion QTP low profile cutouts with remote control. Les then $300. Open and close as you want varies the sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice (Part 2)