Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to swap C5 seat cushions left to right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Is it possible to swap C5 seat cushions left to right?

Has anyone ever "swapped" seats from left to right in a C5? I have the usual bolster wear and general poor support on the driver's side, but the passenger side feels brand new as it has rarely been sat in. Plan on one day retrofitting the Evo 8/9 seats, but in the meantime want to make any improvement I can. Don't want to invest in rebuilding the existing seats as they will still be marginal at best when rebuilt with new foam, etc. Is it possible to unbolt the seat cushions (lower and upper) from the power rails and swap over to the other side?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It can be done, but if you have power seats the controls will be on the wrong side and the sides of upper portion of the seats have fabric instead of vinyl on the inside portion of the seat. Moving the seats from passenger to driver will result in the fabric now being on the outside instead of the inside.
The following users liked this post:
thunder1951 (12-02-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

The vinyl/fabric switch does not bother me in the least. It's far better than sliding all over the place during turns. The swapped seat controls does bother me, though. How 'bout just switching seatbacks? The left bolster on the driver's side is the one that's sagging.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Upper seat foam looks symmetrical to me, easy to get the upper cover off just 2 zippers and push pins, clip in crack, no hog rings.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Yeah, I'll have to give it a whirl doing just the seat backs. That left waist bolster is just terrible, it feels broken.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Yeah, I'll have to give it a whirl doing just the seat backs. That left waist bolster is just terrible, it feels broken.
It probably is broken then. It's just a little fiberglass looking wing.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Tuffguy610
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually just got finished installing a new set of leather skins, shift boots, and center console cover on my 2000 coupe so I know exactly what can be switched between seats and what cannot. I actually did extensive research on the skins themselves (bought from interior innovations), bulking up the actual seat bottoms, and repairing my seat bladders since I have the sport seats with power lumbar and side bolsters and the stock bags deteriorated due to age.

What I found was that I couldn't switch my seat bottom foams as they have cutouts for the power seat controls on the left side for the drivers and the right side for the passengers. However, I actually did switch the upper foams as the side bolsters had accumulated some wear on each side as they were brushed when people would exit the car. On the sport seats, the center back section appears to be identical as well if you have sport seats and choose to swap them.

I have some links to some good threads for you that may help you beef up your stock seat foams. While some vendors sell "Corvette taxed" (read: "expensive for what they are") repair kits that have pre-cut sized jute backing and foam that is placed on the bottom of each seat bottom, I bought the materials myself and did it. The result is that I now sit at least an inch or 2 higher on both seats now that I've finished the install. The seats now look puffed up like they did originally, and my plastic control trim doesn't flop out like it did previously.

If you don't mind getting in touch with your feminine side , go to Joann fabrics and buy the materials to beef up the foam. See the links below, they should buy you some comfort while you save for your Evo seats. The first link I feel is the most informative, especially where it explains what causes the foam to actually tear when pushed against the 1/4" seat frames, and how to glue the foam back together and prevent it from happening again by putting some rip stop nylon fabric over the re-glued foam. You'll find that this is the majority of the reason why your seats go flat over time, they rip where the foam doesn't have enough strength to support itself over the seat frame and the metal wires. If you fix them, they won't rip again and you won't have to buy replacement seat foam only to have it happen again later on.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-pictures.html

http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/2...-seat-rebuild/

Lastly, a few pics of my newly completed interior setup:

Mike
The following users liked this post:
nsogiba (05-06-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:18 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

VERY nice!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to swap C5 seat cushions left to right?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to swap C5 seat cushions left to right?