Sponsored by:

Grinding noise trying to shift into 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Totall84
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grinding noise trying to shift into 6th gear

Here's the thing. I keep getting a grinding noise when I try to shift into 6th from 5th. And not only that but I'm having a hard time shifting into 1st from a stop. I try downshifting into first and sometimes it works but sometimes it just seems slips right back out. Any ideas what it might be? Clutch or transmission?

Thanks

97 c5
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 PM
loganc5
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Totall84
Here's the thing. I keep getting a grinding noise when I try to shift into 6th from 5th. And not only that but I'm having a hard time shifting into 1st from a stop. I try downshifting into first and sometimes it works but sometimes it just seems slips right back out. Any ideas what it might be? Clutch or transmission?

Thanks

97 c5
Likely it's some of the wear items in the transmission starting to go (synchros worn.) I have a shopping list started here for rebuilding mine: link

It's doable yourself if you feel mechanically inclined (there's links to how-tos in my link), otherwise there's a couple of reputable shops you can ship it off to and have it fixed, for not too much over the cost of parts, with a 1 year warranty.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise trying to shift into 6th gear