Sponsored by:

***ALL New Dedicated LED DRL from Radioflyer Innovations***

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default ***ALL New Dedicated LED DRL from Radioflyer Innovations***

Bring them into the 21st century with these high-powered Morimoto X.DRL.1 LED dedicated DRLs. These lights replace the factory fog lights which are pretty pointless. These new DRLs are incredibly bright and will provide an added level of safety and visibility for your low-profile corvette.
The system comes with Radioflyer's Plug-and-play White DRL harness and Cree LED turn signal bulbs. Function is completely automatic. When the turn signal is activated, the DRL on the signal side will shut off until the turn signal is deactivated. (see demo video below)

Video explanation of functions here:

Also included with the kit is our hyperflash harness to maintain the factory turn signal flash rate. If you already have this installed, you can remove it from the package.

If your car did not come with factory fog lights, no problem. You can purchase our fog light brackets with stainless steel hardware for an easy bolt-on installation.

DRL performance Photos
Test conditions:
Overcast late morning. LED was mounted at roughly the same height as the fog lights on a C5 and positioned in a cardboard box to simulate the fog light cove area. The large cardboard behind the test setup is to allow the camera to see the fog light apart from the white garage door.

10ft from light

25 ft from light

50 ft from light

100 ft from light

approx 200 ft from light

Rough guesses show a uniform beam pattern of about 50 degrees spread both horizontal and transverse. This means that even on uneven roads or turns the DRLs will remain evenly visible to other drivers.

Order your set today:
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...system-099.htm

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 05-22-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Bump
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

bump
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 AM
doublenut9
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

I like it...
Old 05-26-2016, 08:14 AM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Is this easy to install?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

What is the reasoning for turning them off while the turn signal is on? Is it meant to be a safety feature?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:50 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Good question, most new factory DRL's turn off that side when signaling....but that might be because they are using the same LED.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:58 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Macleod52
What is the reasoning for turning them off while the turn signal is on? Is it meant to be a safety feature?
Daytime running lights are extremely bright and aimed to focus light in the eyes of other drivers simply to compete with sunlight. By comparison a turn signal is much dimmer. By shutting off the DRL while a signal is used, the signal can be more easily seen.

This is also one of the reasons the the older style of switchback LED bulbs that flashed white/amber/white/amber are no longer in production. All current switchback bulbs flash amber/off/amber/off, then white resumes when the turn signal is deactivated.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Having just read your original thread on this subject, I gather that the philosophy behind this product is that the existing fog lights serve two functions poorly - as fog lights and as DRLs. This new product serves the DRL function well and gives up on serving as a true fog light. What would you recommend if the owner's priority was a true fog light, with less concern about the performance as a DRL? Or did I misunderstand? FWIW, I have fog lights in my C5 and am seriously considering ordering your bi-xenon headlights because the stock headlights seem inferior to the headlights on cars sold today.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Koufax
Having just read your original thread on this subject, I gather that the philosophy behind this product is that the existing fog lights serve two functions poorly - as fog lights and as DRLs. This new product serves the DRL function well and gives up on serving as a true fog light. What would you recommend if the owner's priority was a true fog light, with less concern about the performance as a DRL? Or did I misunderstand? FWIW, I have fog lights in my C5 and am seriously considering ordering your bi-xenon headlights because the stock headlights seem inferior to the headlights on cars sold today.
Partially correct. The factory fog lights do NOT serve as DRLs, Only as fogs. As fog lights with an improved (HID) light source, they do perform very well as fog lights.

If you want good fog function, simply upgrade your fog light bulbs to an HID light source (3000k golden yellow color is best for poor weather). If your factory fog lights have poor lenses (pitted and foggy) our Hella Micro DE fog lights with HID light source are a good replacement option.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I posed my question during a bout of insomnia and didn't go look at the car. Now I see that the DRLs and fogs are separate.

When I inspected my factory fogs I thought they were foggy, but it turns out they had probably never been cleaned. Once I cleaned them up they looked pretty clear, although there is a modest amount of pitting.

I haven't driven with the fogs on since cleaning them. Assuming that they aren't dramatically brighter as a result, I suspect I'll give your HIDs a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To ***ALL New Dedicated LED DRL from Radioflyer Innovations***

Quick Reply: ***ALL New Dedicated LED DRL from Radioflyer Innovations***