how to clean an engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:33 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Default how to clean an engine compartment?

I have never cleaned the engine compartment and engine on my pace car. Are there any hints from you show guys. Going to my first show next week. I have heard DO NOT USE THE CAR WASH! So any help would be appreciated. I searched the forum but could not find any engine detailing posts

pops

Popular Reply

05-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
Just had to cover the distributor cap.
Back in that time that seemed so innocent, we went to the park under the shade and waxed our cars, listen to rock and roll.. we clean our engine by covering the distributor and the carburetor with plastic. wiped down the plug wires with WD-40, made sure the engine was hot and let the foaming gunk fly. Let it sit sit for five minutes while drinking a beer, then bring on the hose. start the engine and let it dry.

Car had to be perfect for the weekend evening cruise to the Drive-In Hamburger shop where curb service and a cute girl in roller skates would bring you your burgers, fries and a shake. A place where all your friends would meet. This was back in the late 50's and 60's for me.. Even back then we had our own area to park... Corvette Corrals were very popular back then, even though there were not that many Corvettes around. People with Corvettes would travel 50/ 100 miles to go to a Corvette Corral on the weekend. If you got a dozen Corvettes in one place is was a very big deal. IN our club, we had three girls with Corvettes which made our club even more popular. Real Life American Graffiti.

Then came Vietnam. I was one year into college and found it necessary to join, and not hide. Commissioned in 65, and did two tours before being injured. ON a day such as today, I have to remember those of us who didn't make it home. Those of us in so many wars who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy our dreams, live out our lives, have our children and enjoy our cars.
I am digressing...

Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

never use the car wash to much pressure in that system...i always use a garden hose ..with the motor cold spray simple green and let it soak, use how ever much your motor is dirty, let it soak for about 5 mins or so with a second coating about 3 mins in....then i always cover up my alt..supercharger and battery with a old towel or micro fiber, then just gently clean up your motor...use a towel to dry up the excess water and if you want you can use a dressing to give it a shine but i find those tend to attract more dust then anything ..so i will use a auto interior cleaner just to give it a nice clean look ..
The following users liked this post:
popshumphrey (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I never let my engine bay get dirty... " Never " use flowing water from a hose... even under very low pressure. anything visible can be hand wiped.. don't spray anything directly on an engine component. spray your product on a pad or cloth. wipe and then use a clean dry towel .

My engine bay... has never seen any water.. always just wiped down with a detailer on a pad. I sometimes use Zaino glass enhancer. again sprayed on a pad.

My engine bay, 17 years old 100,000 miles... No bling, just clean, with some old school Chevy Orange engine color from the past on my coil covers.

The following 7 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
1911tex (05-25-2022), doublenut9 (05-29-2016), friou (05-30-2016), Mike98SilVert (05-30-2016), NMYDNA (05-30-2016), SG Lou (05-29-2016), Wally Z06 (05-30-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
My engine bay, 17 years old 100,000 miles... No bling, just clean, with some old school Chevy Orange engine color from the past on my coil covers.

...............SWEET E.T.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

mine gets fairly dusty and to me that is dirty but I don't have dirt, grime, or grease in the engine bay... I cover the alternator and battery/fuse box then use low pressure water to prerinse the bay... then I have a bucket with car wash soap/water and use a wash mitt to wipe everything down followed up by low pressure water to rinse the soap off... then I use air to dry everything off, you don't want to leave standing water on electrical connectors because it can cause things to act up until the water evaporates... once I'm done drying it off I will use some detail spray on some areas and polish on the shiny parts... it sounds like a lot but it really isn't, once you get it clean the first time the whole process takes me maybe 20 mins since I don't let it get too bad
The following users liked this post:
REKCUF (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Years ago, I would use Gunk - soak everything, then hose down. Worked fine. These days to be honest, I don't bother, but then I don't do shows. All that detailing looks like too much time and effort for me. I treat it like any other car - drive it and fix it when needed. Washing the outside occasionally is as good as it gets.

But don't agonize about hosing it out. Let's face it when you drive in the rain, the engine compartment gets good and wet. Just don't use a pressure washer, as you may well screw something up.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I don't do shows. All that detailing looks like too much time and effort for me.
I'm not a show car guy either, I enjoy working on and driving it far more than cleaning it... I actually dread cleaning and detailing the car but I try to keep it fairly clean, it just sucks getting it looking good and after a single drive it's dirty all over again
Old 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;1592313794]I never let my engine bay get dirty... " Never " use flowing water from a hose... even under very low pressure. anything visible can be hand wiped.. don't spray anything directly on an engine component. spray your product on a pad or cloth. wipe and then use a clean dry towel .

My engine bay... has never seen any water.. always just wiped down with a detailer on a pad. I sometimes use Zaino glass enhancer. again sprayed on a pad.

with ET. With all the electircal issues the C5's have, it took me 2 days to use the ET method of cleaning my engine compartment after purchase. It was not that dirty at purchase, but not to my standards.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:06 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks guys. No flowing water. The car only has 14k miles on it. 98 pace car. Only drive short distances. Not really dirty, dusty I guess. I will use interior cleaner and or some simple green.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:09 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I'm not a show car guy either, I enjoy working on and driving it far more than cleaning it... I actually dread cleaning and detailing the car but I try to keep it fairly clean, it just sucks getting it looking good and after a single drive it's dirty all over again
That's why i ordered Silver all those years ago. I was coming off years of owning a black Mustang 5.0 and it always looked like it needed a wash. Silver cars are great; they just become a pale grey color between washes.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Flowing water doesn't hurt anything, this are not cars built in the 40's....Now I never get my Z06 dirty so it only take a few wipes with a Microfiber and some Detailer. But my 239K '95 M3 gets the engine washed now and then over the 11 years I've had it and doesn't hurt anything. Just dry it well with done so no water spots and your good. Simple Green is a good tip...
Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have never used any hose on my engine bay. Each time I wash the car I wipe down the engine bay with a Swiffer duster, then use an Absorber as a follow-up. If by chance there is any grease/oil residue I use a little Simple Green on a rag and wipe it up.

If you do the cleaning regularly then it takes just a few minutes each time to keep the engine bay looking like new.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by JETninja
Flowing water doesn't hurt anything, this are not cars built in the 40's....Now I never get my Z06 dirty so it only take a few wipes with a Microfiber and some Detailer. But my 239K '95 M3 gets the engine washed now and then over the 11 years I've had it and doesn't hurt anything. Just dry it well with done so no water spots and your good. Simple Green is a good tip...
Just another guy living in the 40's... there are nine electronic components under the hood. Remember what I said folks.. " Be very careful who you listen too here " everyone wants tom be an expert... rain splashing from the road and water under any angular pressure will get under the intake manifold valley and float the knock sensors to short out... a very common and curable issue.

I have to point out that guys like this are clueless about a C5 and think because they heard something from their grandfather who worked at a Texaco station, washed the windows and checked the oil and air pressure has anything remotely to do with this car... This is Not your grandfathers Buick.

People who are clueless should refrain from giving advice here.... for example this guy should Pay to have knock sensors replaced for everyone who took his advice. It might shut up some of these legends in their own mind.. I don't know how many people have PM'd me over the last 15 years asking for help to fix a screw up advised by some clueless member of this forum. Be Very careful who you listen to on this forum or anywhere you go seeking advice on the internet.

This guy means no harm and actually believes what he says, unfortunately , he is 60 years behind the times.

Bill aka ET
Old 05-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

BTW cars built in the forties could handle a fire hose. Not too many computer aided devices back then.. all it took was a spark, some fuel, and some air.

So to say that 1940's car were sensitive to water, is laughable
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

And I bet your Vette melts in the rain too.....

LOL!

And remember, cars in the 40s had points and when they got wet you ha to dry them out....

Last edited by JETninja; 05-29-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

That's why I won't comment on this, when you drive on dirt and you come home with the fans on full blast it makes a mesh of the engine compartment. And yet I get compliments all the time "what a spotless engine compartment" If you think the engine compartment doesn't see any water at highway speeds in a downpour you are delusional !!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by JETninja
And I bet your Vette melts in the rain too.....

LOL!

And remember, cars in the 40s had points and when they got wet you ha to dry them out....
NO they didn't. Only if you did not take care of them, when you did a tune up back them if a distributer cap was cracked you replaced it, distrbuter where sealed and so where the wires with water proof boots. IM 71 years old and a retired automotive engineer... you think I don't know how car where designed in the forties.. I was living in the forties when guys would use a piece of their leather shoe tongue to fix an accelerator pump in a failed carburetor... Not sure if you even know what an accelerator pump is...

No, it doesnt melt and it even has an open heat extracting hood , but designed not to effect the sensitive nature of the engine and its electrical components and designed by the guy who built all the aero effect for the GM Corvette Factory C4 R race team.

You can laugh all you want but some of us know this car and its design

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-29-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To how to clean an engine compartment?

Old 05-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I take mine to the local self service car wash and wash it there. NEVER had any problems.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Be Very careful who you listen to here in this forum.

GM Technical service bulleting
TSB #02-06-04-023

Refernce lS1
Condition: mild to severe engine ping (spark knock). worse on acceleration.

Cause: corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity

(another reason for not squirting your motor down with a hose like some think its ok to do) In
fact, the bulletin mentions "this condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers
frequently wash the engine compartment".

part no. for the sensor is 10456603 cost 97.08 each

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-29-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I never let my engine bay get dirty... " Never " use flowing water from a hose... even under very low pressure. anything visible can be hand wiped.. don't spray anything directly on an engine component. spray your product on a pad or cloth. wipe and then use a clean dry towel .

Always love looking at photos of your car, just absolutely gorgeous and your engine compartment is just as impressive! I'm with you on the no water, especially under pressure. Rags, cleaner and some elbow grease! Well, anyway, wanted to comment again on your car and hoping you are doing well. Best wishes to you!
The following 2 users liked this post by friou:
1911tex (05-25-2022), Evil-Twin (05-30-2016)

Quick Reply: how to clean an engine compartment?