Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats. Great color.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Congrats on a fine looking Corvette. Happy you had a good experience with seller...always leaves you with a secure feeling about your purchase. Here is wishing you many happy miles/smiles with your new baby. Greetings, Rob
Thanks! The seller is one of the biggest reasons I purchased this particular car. He knew his car, he knew the flaws and what was done to mitigate them. I'm just fixing the issues that probably never even bothered him enough to fix.

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
congrats man

I came from the Japanese cars as well, I am a lexus guy at heart and probably always will be

The main thing your going to notice (seems you already have) is the interior, its really bad compared to what your used too, but the ride and fun factory make u forget all about it

Im on my second C5 now, they are overall great cars and a great bargain for the price
Haha, yeah. The interior is SO bad it's almost funny. But you're absolutely right, it's not the interior that sells the car, it's the whole driving experience, the shifter action, the roof off, etc. I don't have it registered yet, so right now all I can do is sit in it and make engine noises and that's when you notice the flaws. I should have plates on it tomorrow and have time to get it inspected this coming weekend. It will fail because of the IAT, but I'm hoping to rectify that prior to Saturday.

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
I am in my first C5 for 2 months now. Former European car guy. Audi's and a current 1999 MB E320. While I am impressed with the C5 overall. Mostly the mechanicals, I like many others find the interior is not up to the same standards as the rest of the car. But the damn thing is so much fun to drive and is perfectly comfortable even on long trip...................who cares!!!!
Thanks! See above on my opinion on the interior, but I will echo that it is quite comfortable from the driver's seat.

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Very nice! Welcome to the forum. A lot of good people in here.

Shakey
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be rubbing elbows with everyone soon.

Originally Posted by hoosiervette
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice find. Hope you have many miles of trouble free driving. The color looks like electron blue. Is that because of the lighting. The reason I ask, is electron wasn't available until I believe 2002. Just curious.
It's the lighting. The car is navy.

Originally Posted by calvins
Congratulations and welcome back from the dark side! You even got the right color!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MAC5
Welcome to the madness and good luck with your new C5. That 99 looks great. Radioflyers ACA hid kit is an excellent lighting upgrade along with the HID Fogs. George is a great source for your lighting upgrades.
Definitely, I know that's one of the weaker points on the car, so a little upgrading never hurt anyone. I loathe the idea of running HID in headlamps w/o a proper retrofit, so that works well.

Originally Posted by caddman11
I felt the same way, move over foreign cars, American muscle is here. Welcome aboard.
Eh, my STi would dust my C5, but they're different animals for different uses. I'm looking forward to a more relaxed cruiser this go round. It will be nice to take it out and not have to worry about rod knock every time I hit the gas.

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Congrats on your Vette! Welcome to the asylum...
Haha, definitely.

Originally Posted by Lou7787
Congrats. Great color.
Thanks! I originally wanted black, but this one popped up and was too good to pass up.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Congratulations on your nice looking vette and best wishes!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome and congrats !!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
A Z32 TT was actually my original choice as an STi replacement but there were basically none left in the Northeast and after a few months searching the Vette seemed easier to find.

A careless driving destroying my Tacoma didn't help my situation as needing a car sooner versus later. This car hit a lot of the buttons and the previous owner was amazing to deal with.

My STi put down 280 WHP and 293 WTQ on a dyno on which a stock STi out down 200-215 WHP so it was quite fast. The power deliver of this car is completely different. I feel like it will be an easier car to drive than the Subaru.
I love the z32 chassis but as much as I like it I do not care for the engine they came with. Don't get me wrong the vg30dett is a great engine and has potential for outrageous power numbers but it is a pain in the butt. your sti sounds pretty healthy and like it would have been a blast to drive. I know that more people are partial to the evo but I have always liked the sti better.

I hope you enjoy your new c5
Old 06-07-2016, 12:18 AM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats! personally I know yo picked he right color. And in sunlight it has a purple hue as well. Need any interior pieces pm me as I have most of the carpet and a few other pieces laying around. Light Oak.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:27 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats and Welcome!
Don't forget to do the Corvette wave!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by friou
Congratulations on your nice looking vette and best wishes!
Thanks! Took it out for the first time this afternoon since it was registered. Got caught in a small storm, targa doesn't leak!

Originally Posted by Mistrezz 06
Welcome and congrats !!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Congrats and welcome!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I love the z32 chassis but as much as I like it I do not care for the engine they came with. Don't get me wrong the vg30dett is a great engine and has potential for outrageous power numbers but it is a pain in the butt. your sti sounds pretty healthy and like it would have been a blast to drive. I know that more people are partial to the evo but I have always liked the sti better.

I hope you enjoy your new c5
Thanks! I know the Z32 was a huge motor shoehorned in a little body and it wasn't the 2JZ by any means, I just liked the small package and removable roof, without the Supra tax. The C5 compares quite favorably to it and I'm quite happy with my purchase.

My STi was quite quick as it was boosting at about 20 psi. It pulled hard, but I was always convinced it was a ticking time bomb since all EJs eventually had their issues. I did all the preventative work (KillerB oil pickup, GC 0w-30 with UOA, etc) but I wasn't convinced it wouldn't pop eventually. I ended up selling it back to the dealer for $8,000 less than I paid for it back at the end of 2007, so I would call that a win.

When I bought the STi I considered the Evo as well since I liked the exterior better, liked the option choices better and the magazines said it was more fun to drive. However, I couldn't get past the interior. Sure, the STi was based on an economy car and they were limited on dash layout with what they could do, but at day 1 the Subaru interior felt nicer. The Evo's interior felt cheap and very much a cheap rental car inside. Of course, the Subaru's interior didn't wear as well as I had hoped it would.

Originally Posted by 00Midnight
Congrats! personally I know yo picked he right color. And in sunlight it has a purple hue as well. Need any interior pieces pm me as I have most of the carpet and a few other pieces laying around. Light Oak.
My interior is actually grey, unfortunately, or I'd probably be taking you up on that offer, as there's a few pieces I'd like to swap out. Honestly, the idea of Corbeau A4 seats seem quite appealing to me right now as the stock seats rock, which is driving me nuts already. However, I need to spend some time driving the car and seeing what, if any, issues I need to attend to first before modifying it. I heard a chirp today when I first started driving, which is either belts or a harmonic balancer, one of which is cheap and easy, the other, not so much.

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Congrats and Welcome!
Don't forget to do the Corvette wave!
Is that the "V" symbol? A co-worker and good friend of mine actually purchased a 1969 'Vert with the 427 tri-power setup brand new and he was telling me about it being big back then.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Is that the "V" symbol? A co-worker and good friend of mine actually purchased a 1969 'Vert with the 427 tri-power setup brand new and he was telling me about it being big back then.[/QUOTE]

A "V". Head nod, any kind of recognition, just don't make it look like you're in a parade
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Great color!!! Congrats and Welcome to the forum!! It's going to be a fun summer!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Oh, hey new guy, Congrats and Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Old 06-08-2016, 12:13 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to the asylum. Yes the interior gaps are totally unacceptable for gm's top sportscar. There are ways to close the gaps but still subpar compared to other "cheaper" vehicles. Be careful the plastic is cheap and brittle tabs and things can break easily when taking apart. You wouldn't be related to Marty McFly would you?

Last edited by SuperTom; 06-08-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
Is that the "V" symbol? A co-worker and good friend of mine actually purchased a 1969 'Vert with the 427 tri-power setup brand new and he was telling me about it being big back then.
A "V". Head nod, any kind of recognition, just don't make it look like you're in a parade [/QUOTE]

Makes sense. The same thing happened with Subarus.

Originally Posted by jptgs1
Great color!!! Congrats and Welcome to the forum!! It's going to be a fun summer!
It really will be. I have a startup chirp, so I need that taken care of (hopefully not the HB, but if so, so be it).

Originally Posted by RIKKI Z-06
Oh, hey new guy, Congrats and Welcome to the forum!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
There is a piktor on Page 1! I don't have a good location to snap photos yet! Plus it's only bee on the road a day.

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Welcome to the asylum. Yes the interior gaps are totally unacceptable for gm's top sportscar. There are ways to close the gaps but still subpar compared to other "cheaper" vehicles. Be careful the plastic is cheap and brittle tabs and things can break easily when taking apart. You wouldn't be related to Marty McFly would you?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that things that. The MikeyMcFly I've been using across a few forums now. I may have a slight obsession with Back to the Future, and Toyota Pickups in general and Marty's truck might have been a heavy influence on my own.

My 1993 Xtracab that I had some fun with for about a year back in 2011.

My absolutely BELOVED 2013 Tacoma that was just deemed totaled last week after someone crossed a double yellow and hit me HEAD ON in early May. I was SO upset, and thankfully, unhurt. The truck took a beating, obviously, as it destroyed the left front suspension and mounting points and turned the frame into a diamond.

I just put in an order for a 2016 Tacoma to replace it, but I really, really miss that truck. Everything that was added to that truck (bumper, lights, lift, etc) was done by me and was exactly how I wanted it. Ugh.

Last edited by MikeyMcFly; 01-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 PM
DonkeyKong89
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! and Welcome!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome aboard. You definitely are in the correct place for owning one of these.
Bought mine and had her home Oct 4, 2013.
Registered and insured, driving within an hour of delivery.
2 minutes later, at my computer searching "Corvette" on Google. Found this place, these people. What an incredible stroke of luck for me.
These guys have saved me THOU$AND$ ......
Mine is Nassau Blue, Tan interior.
I've put 40K miles on her since I bought her.

Get notified of new replies

To Oh hey, it's the new guy!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:38 PM
tzeller
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Really like the color. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:57 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome from another '99 owner..beautiful car you got there..
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Congrats on your Vette! Welcome to the asylum...

Welcome to the forum! Don't judge your car too early. I'm a long time BMW guy as well, and am used to rigid and silent frames. Hence, as a lifelong Corvette guy, I'm also a big time creak and squeak hunter. My 2004 was a rattle trap when I got her, but is tighter and more silent than my wife's 2007 335i, so it's doable. Do some research on rattle elimination, and a lot of it will be in replacing every bushing in your suspension. Most likely shocks as well. Really not expensive stuff at all, although time consuming. For nuts like me it's fun. Focus on body fasteners, loose nut and bolts and interior items that don't fit correctly.

Remember- This car has a world-class frame, and is stiffer than many european makes, so you have a great basis to start with. Give it some effort... And you will be well rewarded with an incredible, iconic American supercar when you're done. Good luck!

Last edited by Fed Up; 06-09-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh hey, it's the new guy!