Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed up with C5 seats. S2000 Seat Install begins today!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Fed up with C5 seats. S2000 Seat Install begins today!

quick preface - this is just a pictorial story - i take no responsibility for what you decide to bolt into your car, so follow at your own risk. I'm just a mechanical engineer who loves to tinker at home and drink beer while doing so

The C5 seats are garbage, I don't care how much you refinish or replace foam, they have poor control and really make the aggressive driving experience terrible. I have not yet autocrossed or road raced my 2000 FRC, only street driven so far. And yet on every highway on/off ramp that I take, I slide either into the center tunnel or smash against the door panel hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life. The C5 chassis is capable of far more - it's an absolute shame the stock seats hold it back so much.

The C5 chassis is supported by a huge aftermarket following, with no lack of gorgeous seating options with bolt-in brackets available. However, I decided not to go with the typical aftermarket options for the following reasons:

-I'm not a millionaire and don't want to spend thousands of dollars on seats and brackets
-I know my way around a wrench and enjoy fabrication projects
-All the aftermarket options I found looked very "boy racer" to me.
- I wanted to keep the "OEM+" look that only factory seats can achieve.
-Had to keep the leather theme - no cheesy aftermarket black foamy cloth with gaudy embroidered lettering for me

As part of the planning phase of the project, I had no intention of keeping the heavy C5 power seat adjustments and adapting the S2000 seat to the C5 rails, so I decided to keep the S2000 seat attached to the Honda rails and adapt them to a bracket, which would be bolted to the stock C5 floor studs. I also did not want to modify the C5 seats or floor mounting points in any way as it would devalue the originality of the chassis.

I did not get any pics of this process, but I simply removed the 4x nuts holding the C5 seat in place and immediately realized that the floor is recessed around the mounting studs. As such I wasn't able to bolt a flat ]rail directly to the floor; it needed to come up at least an inch or more. I bought some hex couplers, washers, and bolts that all matched the factory C5 M10x1.5 studs. The hex couplers threaded onto the studs and provided a raised platform to which I could bolt the new adapter bracket.

In the fall of '14 I installed a unit heater in my garage and mounted it to the joists in the ceiling using a long stick of zinc-plated Unistrut.

_DSC5115 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I think the stick was at least 12' long, I only used about 20" of it for the heater install. The remainer collected dust in the corner of the garage for a couple of years until today.

_DSC5118 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I chopped them to 23" lengths and mounted to the tops of the hex adapters lengthwise in the car. One end of each rail needed to have the slot slightly enlarged to allow it to fit. No pics, will get them next time I take the seat out of the car.

These will get a coat of black paint before final installation and should blend in with the floor nicely.

_DSC5119 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The S2000 floor mounting points are NOTHING like the C5 so I cut the mounting tabs off the S2000 rails right away. They are riveted AND spot welded to the rails, so some quality time with the cutoff wheel needs to be spent. I tend to enjoy grinding as I can throw in headphones, turn up the tunes, and go to town.

Note 4 shiny corners where brackets are gone.
_DSC5120 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

S2000 mounting tabs cut off.
_DSC5120 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

So now that the unistrut rails were firmly bolted in place, and the S2000 seat had a nice flat bottom to work with, it was time to put the seat in the car and see where I had fitment issues.

These things looks awesome.
_DSC5123 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5124 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

However, note how far forward the seat sits in relation to the C5 passenger seat - there is a lot of contact between the S2000 reclining handle cover and the lower C5 seatbelt cover - as well as between the the S2000 seat belt buckle and the center tunnel. To be continued in next post...

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

The S2000 reclining mechanism and handle cover have serious contact with the C5 lower seatbelt reel cover.

_DSC5125 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

and the S2000 seat belt receptacle is pushed up against the tunnel.
_DSC5126 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

In this position the seat is WAY too far forward (I'm 5'8") and needs to come back.

The S2000 seat came out of the car and onto the bench to have some stuff taken off it. First came the seatbelt buckle
_DSC5128 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

...along with the related Z-shaped harness. I won't need this as it doesn't interface with the C5 seatbelt OR the C5 electrical seat harness.
_DSC5129 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

You're now looking at the rear of the S2000 seat, driver's side, reclining mechanism plastic cover. It sticks out WAY past the rail, which is already far wide than the C5 bolt spacing. It will have to go.
_DSC5130 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Firmly pull on the cool looking reclining handle to remove it
_DSC5131 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

now that the 2 items that were in the way are now gone, I stuck the seat back in the car to see what it looked like. The good news is that the seat can now slide all the way back. This keeps with the OEM+ theme, keeping full functionality of adjustment. Note the absolute lack of shoulder bolsters on the C5 seat, compared to the S2000. I still can't get over how much better these seats look than the stockers.

_DSC5132 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The bad news is that the reclining mechanism is now exposed and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll have to come up with something to fix this.

_DSC5133 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Now we can see just how close that mechanism is to the C5 seatbelt retractor
_DSC5134 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

on the right side the seatbelt buckle area is tight as well but this will be easier to fix.

_DSC5135 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Back to the C5 seat - need to see how the buckle does, bolted to the S2000 seat.

_DSC5136 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

18mm thin nut and a connector, and the buckle comes out
_DSC5138 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Here's where I left off for the night. S2000 buckle on bottom with goofy Z offset, C5 on top with straight shot
_DSC5140 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Til Tomorrow

Last edited by nsogiba; 06-07-2016 at 10:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nsogiba:
doublenut9 (08-18-2016), Outlawtorn (06-07-2016), Pounder (06-07-2016), ssrallyred (09-05-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:27 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I have posted a few times about converting to the c6 seatbelts which removes the big reel mounted the floor. Would solve the issue of the recliner having space. (photobucket seems to be down or I would post pics of the extra space)

Last edited by SuperTom; 06-07-2016 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nsogiba (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

nice

I agree many of the aftermarket seats don't really do it for me,,, too overboard with the racer look, id prefer a more OEM option like what you are doing
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

So cool, nice work man can't wait to see end result.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

you know all you had to do was eat more pie, ice cream and cookies ???
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,215 Likes on 13,926 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Well done so far - looking forward to seeing it complete.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

pics of space gained with c6 seatbelts a good 2-3" width, 4-5" length in the rear mounting area. Then covered with a small piece of black carpet

Last edited by SuperTom; 06-08-2016 at 07:29 AM.
nsogiba (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Interesting project! I look forward to seeing the end result!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by SuperTom
I have posted a few times about converting to the c6 seatbelts which removes the big reel mounted the floor. Would solve the issue of the recliner having space. (photobucket seems to be down or I would post pics of the extra space)
pics of space gained with c6 seatbelts a good 2-3" width, 4-5" length in the rear mounting area. Then covered with a small piece of black carpet
Thank you for this great post. It solves a lot of the problems that were causing me to scratch my head last night. I just ordered some C6 belts/retractors on ebay. Your SRT-4 seats look great, by the way.

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
nice

I agree many of the aftermarket seats don't really do it for me,,, too overboard with the racer look, id prefer a more OEM option like what you are doing
Nobody can pull off a classy, understated, yet comfortable seat like the OEMs.

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
So cool, nice work man can't wait to see end result.
Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Well done so far - looking forward to seeing it complete.
Originally Posted by jptgs1
Interesting project! I look forward to seeing the end result!
Thanks for the kind words folks, more to come tonight!

Originally Posted by akapounder
you know all you had to do was eat more pie, ice cream and cookies ???
I agree - the S2000 seats are big motivation for me to lose a few pounds!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm digging this so far. Keep up the good work.

For the C6 seat belt option, so you get a new trim panel? I may be remembering something wrong here, but a empty trim panel still takes up as much room as one with parts inside.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Looking at the above posts, it looks like that trim panel gets shaved down so that it doesn't stick out as much.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Those actually don't look bad
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks nice good work
Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Chev
I'm digging this so far. Keep up the good work.

For the C6 seat belt option, so you get a new trim panel? I may be remembering something wrong here, but a empty trim panel still takes up as much room as one with parts inside.
Originally Posted by nsogiba
Looking at the above posts, it looks like that trim panel gets shaved down so that it doesn't stick out as much.
Correct a little trimming with a dremel is all it takes. If you can see the curve area in the second pic is all the extra space gained. A little square of carpet will cover the newly exposed metal underneath. The other pics show the seats pushed all the way back with the extra room for the recline mechanism and it covers up the newly exposed area to the naked eye. Im not sure why others with haven't done this with corbeau's and other seats instead of switching brackets and having the recline levers up against the center tunnel. Basically any seat that can fit in a c6 would now fit easier into the c5.

nsogiba feel free to pm me if any issues. In my situation I know I had to switch driver and passenger belts to get it to retract properly. Also the receiving end of the seatbelt is different as well. Thankfully in my setup the c6 belts plugged directly into the viper seatbelt receivers. I think some shaving of the c6 belt end will allow it to fit in the c5 receiver.

Last edited by SuperTom; 06-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
nsogiba (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM
doublenut9
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

This is a very interesting project. Looks great so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Fed up with C5 seats. S2000 Seat Install begins today!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Correct a little trimming with a dremel is all it takes. If you can see the curve area in the second pic is all the extra space gained. A little square of carpet will cover the newly exposed metal underneath. The other pics show the seats pushed all the way back with the extra room for the recline mechanism and it covers up the newly exposed area to the naked eye. Im not sure why others with haven't done this with corbeau's and other seats instead of switching brackets and having the recline levers up against the center tunnel. Basically any seat that can fit in a c6 would now fit easier into the c5.

nsogiba feel free to pm me if any issues. In my situation I know I had to switch driver and passenger belts to get it to retract properly. Also the receiving end of the seatbelt is different as well. Thankfully in my setup the c6 belts plugged directly into the viper seatbelt receivers. I think some shaving of the c6 belt end will allow it to fit in the c5 receiver.
Thanks for all your posts. You have been a ton of help so far...

I have those C6 belts on the way. Unfortunately they did not include receivers so I will have to hunt down some that work at the junkyard, maybe out of another GM or a Chrysler product (if you say the Viper ones work).
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Thanks for all your posts. You have been a ton of help so far...

I have those C6 belts on the way. Unfortunately they did not include receivers so I will have to hunt down some that work at the junkyard, maybe out of another GM or a Chrysler product (if you say the Viper ones work).
No problem with the help I would like others to have badass seats as the stocks ones suck

The c5 receiver can work if you shave the sides of the c6 male part slightly if I remember correctly. Im sure it was close you can compare when you get them in.

Last edited by SuperTom; 06-08-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 PM
0TWM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look amazing in there, great work.

- Renato

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fed up with C5 seats. S2000 Seat Install begins today!