Sponsored by:

C5 value

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Jerry Husky
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 value

Can anyone predict the value of the C5 going up or down by 2020? I'm hoping by that time the value of a used C5 with relatively high mileage will be down to 12k or less. From what I've seen its currently at 15k.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Last edited by 73Corvette; 06-24-2016 at 11:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 73Corvette:
doublenut9 (06-25-2016), Sam Handwich (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You can find them for $12K or less now depending on how you define high mileage and what condition you are willing to accept.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:25 AM
Jerry Husky
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
You can find them for $12K or less now depending on how you define high mileage and what condition you are willing to accept.
Mileage a little over the 100k area in decent condition. Stock, no bells & whistles.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Here is a nicely modded car in the C5 for sale section... he is "asking" so I would make an offer he might just take it...

1999 Black Targa Coupe with light grey interior. Located in Birmingham, AL. It has 97k miles. Asking $14,500.

6 speed Manual Transmission
Transparent roof
HUD
Seats from a 2003
LS-6 Intake Manifold
Blackwing intake
LG Motorsports 1 3/4" Super Pro Longtube Headers
Corsa Pace Exhaust
Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation Kit
CAGS Skip Shift
C6 Z06 shifter
C6 Z06 Black Spyder style wheels
2012 Z06 Suspension (Sway bars and Shocks)
Elite Engineering 1/4" Aluminum Tunnel Plate w/ heat shield
Clear Corners
LED interior lights and Backup
Halo taillights
35% Tinted windows
Old 06-25-2016, 07:55 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Boy o boy the prices are all over the place. I have seen one go for sale for $7,000 with salvage title, but supposedly was daily driven and mechanically sound up to $30K for low mileage never seen dust types.

The one above seems like a nice collection of mods that no one can really argue with.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Jerry Husky
5th Gear

Thanks guys, I need to save up for that long to comfortably afford one. And I'm hoping the car itself much like C2's won't become a super rare collectible anytime soon resulting in sky high (but understandable) prices.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
Boy o boy the prices are all over the place. I have seen one go for sale for $7,000 with salvage title, but supposedly was daily driven and mechanically sound up to $30K for low mileage never seen dust types.

The one above seems like a nice collection of mods that no one can really argue with.
Up here there are several that approach $40K

One in particular I found.. 99 red vert, nothing special, 55,000 Kms looking for $30K.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible EXTREMELY LOW KMS!! on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/s...kms/1167152898

1999 C5 Canadian Convertible Vette on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...tte/1162428753

2002 Corvette C5 Ragtop one owner on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/p...ner/1175846700

Last edited by Murray Anderson; 06-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Jerry Husky
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
Up here there are several that approach $40K

One in particular I found.. 99 red vert, nothing special, 55,000 Kms looking for $30K.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible EXTREMELY LOW KMS!! on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/s...kms/1167152898

1999 C5 Canadian Convertible Vette on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...tte/1162428753

2002 Corvette C5 Ragtop one owner on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/p...ner/1175846700
I found a couple near where I live that are almost affordable to me but won't be able to afford em for quite a while. Just to give anyone still reading an idea of what I'm after.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7979/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4709/overview/
Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Bt 2020, C6's will be down around your price range. I think they made too many C5's for them to become collectible any time soon. Let's face it, you have to go back to earlier C3's (pre smog) to be faced with paying big money. And there is no sign of C4 prices heading up.
The following users liked this post:
Jerry Husky (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

I predict the values of the more desirable models; of years 03&04 will go up
Old 06-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Jerry Husky
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Bt 2020, C6's will be down around your price range. I think they made too many C5's for them to become collectible any time soon. Let's face it, you have to go back to earlier C3's (pre smog) to be faced with paying big money. And there is no sign of C4 prices heading up.
That's good to know. I got just as much love for the C6. Anyway I think I've got sufficient info now but if anyone else can add anything. Please do so!
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

I have to say I admire your willingness to actually wait till you can afford to pull the trigger... in the society we live in this day and age MOST people can't/don't wait... doesn't matter how much it cost, just as long as they can make the payments, and some have NO intentions of EVER paying anything off... I don't get it? Anyway I hope that your patience and planning will someday afford you the very best Car of YOUR dreams
Jerry Husky (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I have to say I admire your willingness to actually wait till you can afford to pull the trigger... in the society we live in this day and age MOST people can't/don't wait... doesn't matter how much it cost, just as long as they can make the payments, and some have NO intentions of EVER paying anything off... I don't get it? Anyway I hope that your patience and planning will someday afford you the very best Car of YOUR dreams

I sold my Z28 to get what I wanted. I didn't want payments on a car that would sit 5 months out of the year. I own it, owe nobody (maybe the wife)
And hope I get as many yrs enjoyment from it as I did my Z.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

There are so many threads about C5 values it's rather unreal. It can be discussed until your face turns red.

The gist and my opinion is that indeed C5s are *eventually* going to increase in value but in the interim they will go down. They haven't reached rock bottom yet but they're going to get there fairly soon. They're effectively two generations behind the current model now, which is pretty old. Some people say they're going to reach some C4 levels but I can't see base and lower trim C5s consistently being for sale for sub five figures. Sub five figure cars are going to be cars that need a good deal of work and have high mileage. Plus we're dealing with monetary inflation aspect which most classic special interest cars have been subjected to. Really good C5s are still going to hold in the five figure range, and later year cars primarily Z06s in exceptionally good shape will still command $20K+ (just look at good C4 ZR1s, which are actually holding value fairly well considering the C4 market on a whole).

The good thing though is as mentioned there really isn't anything overly unique about C5s which means it's going to take a while before people begin to "appreciate" particular cars. There are some unique models like the '98 pace cars and '04 Commemorative Z06s, but for the most part there's nothing really special about C5s. There was also no mid-generation re-fresh like with most all prior generations of Corvette; a 1997 model doesn't look much different from a 2004 unless you know what to look for.

The other issue - and why I would buy a C5 as soon as possible - is the whole permeation of difference from a "driver" car to "garage queen" car gets wider the more C5s continue to change hands. While mileage isn't everything in a car's condition, it tends to be a major factor. Regardless of what people will say about a car's age relative to low mileage, people want to purchase the best car they can with the lowest mileage possible. They ultimately want a car that has been driven less to stymie any potential headaches. People aren't going to stop driving their cars. With every day and week and month and year that passes cars will continue to get mileage on it. Some will get much more miles than others, and both the car selection and their costs are going to stretch and stretch.

You can find REALLY good deals on C5s if you have patience. Key word there; patience. Also don't look just to dealers. Private party sales can have some really good deals but obviously you'll probably have to deal with cash. I had a guy local to me selling a torch red C5 with 42,000-ish miles and he had a ridiculously hard time selling it for $14,000. Was getting a lot of low ***** and had it for like months type hard time. Last I heard he ended up going down on it and the next time I saw it for sale it was in the hands of a flipper. Only reason I didn't go to it was it wasn't the color I wanted and was an automatic. I looked for a while and moved into what I wanted - Nassau Blue M6 - with sub 40,000 miles for what I thought was a good cash price (worked a side gig for a while to pay for the car; just a hair over 30 with a kid). Can't tell you how good it felt to buy a C5 outright.
The following 2 users liked this post by Velocity_Vette:
Fed Up (06-25-2016), Jerry Husky (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't think that there is any danger of prices going up before 2020 on the basis of collectability. In 2040 perhaps, but right now there are just too many of them on the road (or being waxed) for them to have any rarity.
Jerry Husky (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

There are C5's out there in that range as already pointed out by other forum members. I don't know if the lower mileage, very well maintained and desireable models will ever hit that low. I might be wrong but I believe that those very highly maintained and desireable C5's will always bring something of a premium as enthusiasts continue to discover and recognize the all around performance jewels C5's are. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the future brings us. Y'all take care!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 value

Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
There are so many threads about C5 values it's rather unreal. It can be discussed until your face turns red.

The gist and my opinion is that indeed C5s are *eventually* going to increase in value but in the interim they will go down. They haven't reached rock bottom yet but they're going to get there fairly soon. They're effectively two generations behind the current model now, which is pretty old. Some people say they're going to reach some C4 levels but I can't see base and lower trim C5s consistently being for sale for sub five figures. Sub five figure cars are going to be cars that need a good deal of work and have high mileage. Plus we're dealing with monetary inflation aspect which most classic special interest cars have been subjected to. Really good C5s are still going to hold in the five figure range, and later year cars primarily Z06s in exceptionally good shape will still command $20K+ (just look at good C4 ZR1s, which are actually holding value fairly well considering the C4 market on a whole).

The good thing though is as mentioned there really isn't anything overly unique about C5s which means it's going to take a while before people begin to "appreciate" particular cars. There are some unique models like the '98 pace cars and '04 Commemorative Z06s, but for the most part there's nothing really special about C5s. There was also no mid-generation re-fresh like with most all prior generations of Corvette; a 1997 model doesn't look much different from a 2004 unless you know what to look for.

The other issue - and why I would buy a C5 as soon as possible - is the whole permeation of difference from a "driver" car to "garage queen" car gets wider the more C5s continue to change hands. While mileage isn't everything in a car's condition, it tends to be a major factor. Regardless of what people will say about a car's age relative to low mileage, people want to purchase the best car they can with the lowest mileage possible. They ultimately want a car that has been driven less to stymie any potential headaches. People aren't going to stop driving their cars. With every day and week and month and year that passes cars will continue to get mileage on it. Some will get much more miles than others, and both the car selection and their costs are going to stretch and stretch.

You can find REALLY good deals on C5s if you have patience. Key word there; patience. Also don't look just to dealers. Private party sales can have some really good deals but obviously you'll probably have to deal with cash. I had a guy local to me selling a torch red C5 with 42,000-ish miles and he had a ridiculously hard time selling it for $14,000. Was getting a lot of low ***** and had it for like months type hard time. Last I heard he ended up going down on it and the next time I saw it for sale it was in the hands of a flipper. Only reason I didn't go to it was it wasn't the color I wanted and was an automatic. I looked for a while and moved into what I wanted - Nassau Blue M6 - with sub 40,000 miles for what I thought was a good cash price (worked a side gig for a while to pay for the car; just a hair over 30 with a kid). Can't tell you how good it felt to buy a C5 outright.
Really well written and excellent points- Thanks, Velocity!

In CA, there's glut of C5s right now- The C6 market is hot due to C7 availaility and heavy purchasing of it out here. A prospective buyer would be well-served to fly out here for a Craigslist deal and drive back; there are scores of clean 1998s - 1999s for less than 10K, right now. I just recently bought my 2004 loaded Z51 coupe for a hair more than 13K, with fairly low miles. She needed some love, but about a grand later... I'm styling...

JMHO.

Last edited by Fed Up; 06-25-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:57 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

According to nada they have dropped like a rock in the last year.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know what prices will do in the future. I do know a lot of us old biker types are getting off of our bikes and buying Corvettes. The C5 is the most logical and economical choice for a replacement toy. I bought my C5 last fall and since then 3 guys here in town have followed in my foot steps with one odd man out, he bought a $2000 C4 and drives the pee out of it. So who knows what supply and demand will do in the future and we all know that is what dictates pricing. Mike

Quick Reply: C5 value