Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to cut the bump stops in the stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to cut the bump stops in the stock shocks?

Ive been asking this question for a while in various threads and haven't really gotten any answers.

Is it possible to just remove the wheels, cut off the dust cover and then cut off the bump stop without even removing the shock?

Ive seen guys here running with no dust covers and no bump stops, I need to figure something out before I lower my car

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 1Willy1; 06-27-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:03 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Im sure you can but i never tried it. You just trying to remove bump stops completely? I don't know how safe it would be. You can lower your car on the stock shocks and will be fine. Or get some shorter body shocks.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Im sure you can but i never tried it. You just trying to remove bump stops completely? I don't know how safe it would be. You can lower your car on the stock shocks and will be fine. Or get some shorter body shocks.
I lowered my last car on the stock shocks and it completely destroyed the ride

The ride improved over time after the car continually smashed into the bump stops, rendering them useless, for all I know they fell off after a few weeks.

Also the theory of swapping in shorter shocks has been disproved, there is no shorter shock for the C5, not bilstein, or koni, or the C6 etc...

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The rubber bump stops are intended to provide a cushioned "stop" point should you bottom out the suspension (which you will certainly do from time to time once you lower the car).. That avoids the metal on metal stopping of suspension travel which will damage the contacting points. It may also prevent suspension travel that could result in tire or other damage. Cutting/removing the rubber stops is NOT something I would recommend but then it's you car for the present.
Yea I know they are there for some cushion, but there have been a few people who have removed the stops completely and claim they have had no problems

If I knew how to remove the bump stops , I was planning to cut them maybe 60%, but I can never get any answers on how to do it

so im wondering if I can just lift up the dust boots and cut them off completely,

worst case scenario is I ruin the shocks and then have to go coilovers
Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
I lowered my last car on the stock shocks and it completely destroyed the ride

The ride improved over time after the car continually smashed into the bump stops, rendering them useless, for all I know they fell off after a few weeks.

Also the theory of swapping in shorter shocks has been disproved, there is no shorter shock for the C5, not bilstein, or koni, or the C6 etc...

Thats not true at all, i posted a long time ago that my Bilstein shocks are shorter than stock. Ill see if i still have the pic of it as its been a year or 2 ago. But it was shorter.

Not my pic but one i found. It is shorter

s

Last edited by zdeckich; 06-27-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Thats not true at all, i posted a long time ago that my Bilstein shocks are shorter than stock. Ill see if i still have the pic of it as its been a year or 2 ago. But it was shorter.

Not my pic but one i found. It is shorter

s
SEe if you can get some measurements, ive been following all relevant threads and so far no one has proved any shock is shorter then the stock and will help on a lowered car

This thread sizes up some bilsteins and he claims they are the same ..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-the-c5.html
Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

I can measure mine tonight but i dont have stock ones to measure so you would have to do that.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I LOWERED our car about 1" ... trimmed the front air dam 2"... and put on C6 Z06 shocks... wife and I (I weigh 240ish) and the car LOADED with travel stuff... and I have NEVER bottomed out and we have had LOTS of chances to do that at all different speeds...
IF I was going to cut the bumper stops like I have on our 87 4runner... I did it with a hack saw...
Old 06-27-2016, 02:54 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

I can measure mine tonight but i dont have stock ones to measure so you would have to do that.
Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I LOWERED our car about 1" ... trimmed the front air dam 2"... and put on C6 Z06 shocks... wife and I (I weigh 240ish) and the car LOADED with travel stuff... and I have NEVER bottomed out and we have had LOTS of chances to do that at all different speeds...
IF I was going to cut the bumper stops like I have on our 87 4runner... I did it with a hack saw...
1 inch is fine, that's pretty much factory specs but I need to go down 2+ inches or its not even worth it.

Im thinking the same thing though, Im gonna get a mini hacksaw and see if I can go to town on it today or tomorow
Old 06-27-2016, 03:23 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

1 inch is fine, that's pretty much factory specs but I need to go down 2+ inches or its not even worth it.

Im thinking the same thing though, Im gonna get a mini hacksaw and see if I can go to town on it today or tomorow
I think I used a little WD-40 to keep the blade from getting gunked up and stopping... Good luck
The following users liked this post:
1Willy1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:39 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

SEe if you can get some measurements, ive been following all relevant threads and so far no one has proved any shock is shorter then the stock and will help on a lowered car

This thread sizes up some bilsteins and he claims they are the same ..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-the-c5.html
That guys thread about the Bilsteins being the same length IS wrong. I put the sports on my Z and they were in fact shorter. Bilstein even suggest they are for lowered cars. I can't find my pics, however, I did see and read the thread you posted before I made my purchase. When I started my install I set them side by side and DID confirm they are shorter. I used the Eibach bolts (F&R) along with the "Sport" Bilsteins. I cut the bump stops /jounce bumpers in half as well. My car is lowered about 2" front and rear and rides fine. I did this almost 2 years ago and it still rides good. I have not had any issues/noises/clanking/banging....you get the idea. To cut the bump stops properly, you do need to remove the shocks. I would not remove the dust covers and leave them off....but that's me. It's your car...do with it as you will. I have an old hot rod proverb I will pass on....Do it nice or due it twice! Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MAD Matt
That guys thread about the Bilsteins being the same length IS wrong. I put the sports on my Z and they were in fact shorter. Bilstein even suggest they are for lowered cars. I can't find my pics, however, I did see and read the thread you posted before I made my purchase. When I started my install I set them side by side and DID confirm they are shorter. I used the Eibach bolts (F&R) along with the "Sport" Bilsteins. I cut the bump stops /jounce bumpers in half as well. My car is lowered about 2" front and rear and rides fine. I did this almost 2 years ago and it still rides good. I have not had any issues/noises/clanking/banging....you get the idea. To cut the bump stops properly, you do need to remove the shocks. I would not remove the dust covers and leave them off....but that's me. It's your car...do with it as you will. I have an old hot rod proverb I will pass on....Do it nice or due it twice! Enjoy the ride!
Thanks man

im not doubting you but in at least two threads ive sene people say that it is not true, that they have measured and they are the same, both uncompressed and compressed , they are almost identical

Id love to see some real measurements , hopefully someone can chime in
Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

But for billstein prices you might as well go with coilovers
Old 06-28-2016, 07:08 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun
But for billstein prices you might as well go with coilovers
Not sure where you're coming from as I bought brand new Bilstein sport shocks from Corvette Central for $369. At the time they were even running a special with free shipping. If you know of a place selling brand new coilovers for $400 bucks, I'll buy every set they have!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD Matt
Not sure where you're coming from as I bought brand new Bilstein sport shocks from Corvette Central for $369. At the time they were even running a special with free shipping. If you know of a place selling brand new coilovers for $400 bucks, I'll buy every set they have!
I guess I should have done more research b4 opening my mouth. When I priced them thru Autozone they were over 200 a corner.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I guess I should have done more research b4 opening my mouth. When I priced them thru Autozone they were over 200 a corner.
even at 200 each that's about half of what coilovers typically cost... I would rather have coilovers personally, I don't like the transverse leafs
Old 07-01-2016, 12:49 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

So I figured out how to do it, was a lot easier then I thought

Bit of a hack job but I managed to do it without taking the shocks off

I took the wheels off , used a razor blade to slice a straight line through the dust cover , then used a flat head to pull down the bump stop to the bottom of the shock, where I cut it off with the same exacto.

Then I used a heavy duty cyanoacrylate with accelerator to close up the dust boot , and keep it functional

Next week when I get around to lowering the car ill give the dust boot a quick sanding, cleaning and ill layer a little resin and fiberglass cloth just to make sure it stays doing its job over the long run.
Attached Images       
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

When I took my old fronts off, I dropped one. The dust cover came off and there was a long yellow rubber biscuit inside. Not much holding it together.

You can cut to your liking. It isn't hard to remove the shocks. What part in particular are you confused about?Name:  _DSC7810-S.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  32.3 KB

On the rear shocks, there is a bracket on top on a threaded shaft. If you remove the bracket then you can slide the dust cover off.

If you are trying to do it with the top of the shock installed then why??? It wont save time!

Last edited by Rob 02; 07-01-2016 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
73Corvette (07-01-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know how to cut the bump stops in the stock shocks?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Cutting the dust boot is butchery at its finest, it only takes about 10-15 minutes to remove the shock from the car, then the top bracket comes off and the bumpstop can easily be trimmed.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:40 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Cutting the dust boot is butchery at its finest, it only takes about 10-15 minutes to remove the shock from the car, then the top bracket comes off and the bumpstop can easily be trimmed.
Meh, just a temporary solution till I go coilovers

I took my car into a mechanics last year with my black frc, and he took the shocks off and couldn't figure out how to get the top hat off the shock to cut the bumper, so im done messing around

Got 2 done last night, gonna do the other 2 tonight, and ill be ready to lower the car once I purchase a 7 inch rear , grade 8 bolt
Old 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Seriously? Hold the flat of the shock shaft with an open end wrench/vise grips/whatever and loosen the nut. I literally changed out the top brackets on all 4 new shocks last night in 30 mins...find a new mechanic.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to cut the bump stops in the stock shocks?