Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What short thrower shifter do you recommend for your c5

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Studda07
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the Flat Stick short throw shifter last night. Instal wasn't too bad and the videos make it easy to install. Only took the car out for a quick spin but so far I'm really impressed by the shifter. Great purchase highly recommend!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

That's MGW, ?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
That's MGW, ?
yep !!!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

The OP's looks to be the newer shorter throw.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyTomlin
The effort required to make the throws is very high. The shifter itself is extremely notchy, which I like but this one is a little overboard. Lastly, its difficult to tell what gear you go into without over exaggerating shifter placement.
I have one and I agree that it's definitely a high-effort shifter. However I like a few things about it, for one it's a short shifter that's not short. It actually sits quite tall and I like that I don't have that much distance between the steering wheel and the shifter. The stick itself is fairly heavy, it makes for a very satisfying gear change feel. I don't really have any issue with getting it in the correct gear (reverse is a bit difficult at times), but I'm kinda a brute anyways

It could definitely use a slight angle or different shaped stick.

Last edited by Cliff8928; 08-01-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:05 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I have a hurst and think it is probably the shi&$?@$? Shifter I have ever owned. Others may like them but I don't like the way it feels.
This is one guy and one post that I respect.
Everyone like to say they like what they have so others can buy into it... However when I look at reviews of products, I always look at the negative reviews first. I can see through some of the BS, but reasons that are logical by well respected reviewers get my attention more than the hype of people who sugar coat things because they bought them.

It takes a big man to try to steer people from buying something that they made a mistake in purchasing.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:11 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have a B&M ripper. I love the gated approach. after driving my car for 17 years and 100,000 miles, I enjoy each shift now as much as I did when I first bought it 14 years ago... If it did not bring me any joy, I would simply replace it, I'm going to run out of life way before I run out of money.

Bill aka ET
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
This is one guy and one post that I respect.
Everyone like to say they like what they have so others can buy into it... However when I look at reviews of products, I always look at the negative reviews first. I can see through some of the BS, but reasons that are logical by well respected reviewers get my attention more than the hype of people who sugar coat things because they bought them.

It takes a big man to try to steer people from buying something that they made a mistake in purchasing.
On the other hand, maybe he doesn't like the feel of it because he didn't adjust it properly. I've installed several Hurst shifters, beginning back in the 70s. Installing it was one thing, but getting it adjusted "just right" was ALWAYS another, including their C-5 shifter.

Just my $0.02 worth........
Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
On the other hand, maybe he doesn't like the feel of it because he didn't adjust it properly. I've installed several Hurst shifters, beginning back in the 70s. Installing it was one thing, but getting it adjusted "just right" was ALWAYS another, including their C-5 shifter.

Oh I am not questioning the fact that he may not have it adjusted properly. I am only stating that he has had a Negative experience with it, and is willing to say so... he didn't trash it and say he bought an XXX shifter and it's much better.

I'm only giving props to people who are willing to express their negative experiences.

Many years ago we had an offering here in this forum from Granatelli in the form of a throttle body for a C5.. It was around 2001 or 2002. many people bought into the hype, ( it would add 18 HP )saying how great it was.. ( many people )..

Other would say it was crap.... 180 degrees apart. After many before and after dyno reports ( Dyno showed a drop in HP of 5 to 8 HP over stock ). and about a year on the market, a Granatelli family member and spokesperson came into this forum and apologized for the design flaw in their product and offered a full refund to anyone who bought one. My point here is that those who said it was great were just fooling themself, and trying to add to the hype, and a confirmation that they could get others to buy what they bought.

Bill

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-01-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Adjustment here is not the issue but thanks for calling me out on my ability to do such a simplistic task.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by v8srfun
Adjustment here is not the issue but thanks for calling me out on my ability to do such a simplistic task.
MANY people have come and gone, on this forum, who have complained about various aftermarket shifters not living up to their expectations. The first question that I, and a couple others, have asked, for instance, is "Have you set the neutral gate"?. This is met with, "What's that"???

While installing a C-5 shifter is somewhat easier, since you're not crawling around under the car, like the "good old days", there are still some "tricks" that will make sure that it works as well as intended. Hopefully, you're aware of them.....
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Every shifter known to man has been bought by someone...the only way the op can determine for himself , which one suites him is to try them all.. go to a Corvette club meeting and see what you think. Most Corvette club members are eager to help.
The following users liked this post:
Studda07 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Mojo 97 Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

MANY people have come and gone, on this forum, who have complained about various aftermarket shifters not living up to their expectations. The first question that I, and a couple others, have asked, for instance, is "Have you set the neutral gate"?. This is met with, "What's that"???

While installing a C-5 shifter is somewhat easier, since you're not crawling around under the car, like the "good old days", there are still some "tricks" that will make sure that it works as well as intended. Hopefully, you're aware of them.....
I just purchased the MGW Flat Stick Short Throw Shifter today. Care to share with me what the tricks are to make it work well. Be nice to know before the install, I watched the MGW videos and seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Studda07
Heel & Toe

Mojo vett i just installed mine. Just follow that video and you'll be good. Im just giving my experience with the shifter so far. Im not trying to talk other people into buying the shifter because i bought it (Like some people think). Only put maybe 100 miles with the mgw shifter and i def notice my shifts being much faster. I wouldn't go back to my stock shifter. I love it. It does exactly what i bought it for. I picked the flat stick because its for every day driver and race. Is there better ones?? Who knows, Like evil twin says unless you meet with a car club and try other shifters.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mojo 97 Vett
I just purchased the MGW Flat Stick Short Throw Shifter today. Care to share with me what the tricks are to make it work well. Be nice to know before the install, I watched the MGW videos and seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance
make sure the clamp bolt is tight on the shift rod, run the shifter thru the gears before you put the boot back on and make sure there is no movement between the rod and clamp.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Studda07
Mojo vett i just installed mine. Just follow that video and you'll be good. Im just giving my experience with the shifter so far. Im not trying to talk other people into buying the shifter because i bought it (Like some people think). Only put maybe 100 miles with the mgw shifter and i def notice my shifts being much faster. I wouldn't go back to my stock shifter. I love it. It does exactly what i bought it for. I picked the flat stick because its for every day driver and race. Is there better ones?? Who knows, Like evil twin says unless you meet with a car club and try other shifters.
Like Butter
Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Studda07
Heel & Toe

Aka pounder is right check those and make sure the gas tank opens too before you close everything up. Aka were did you purchase the boot from? Good call on the white **** too, i think i like that better then my black one

Get notified of new replies

To What short thrower shifter do you recommend for your c5

Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Studda07
Aka pounder is right check those and make sure the gas tank opens too before you close everything up. Aka were did you purchase the boot from? Good call on the white **** too, i think i like that better then my black one
the Shifter boot and E-brake boot and my console cover is from http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...structions.htm The white **** matches my dash gauges, I went with a round **** since my high school days and just always felt right to me.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by akapounder
make sure the clamp bolt is tight on the shift rod,...............
But do NOT overtorque. It is very easy to do. Use a torque wrench set for 22 LBFT. Same torque for the other two shifter box bolts as well.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by akapounder
make sure the clamp bolt is tight on the shift rod, run the shifter thru the gears before you put the boot back on and make sure there is no movement between the rod and clamp.
Also, when the shifter is in the neutral position, make sure the hole in the clamp on the rod, lines up with the hole in the shift rod.

Quick Reply: What short thrower shifter do you recommend for your c5