Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade the C5 OR Move to a C6: Help/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I think you're being unrealistic about the price you'd get for your 130k car. A modded C5/Z is the performance bargain of the century. I wouldn't settle for anything but a Z. These are just my opinions, YMV.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You say if you sell the car you will have around 25k to spend. For 25k I'm in a c5z with a cam and coilovers/sways

Or a head/cam c5z with bigger sways and better shocks.

Both are easily attainable for $25k and faster than a base c6.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Sell your C5 and pick up a moderate mileage C5Z for $20k-$23k and you'll leave yourself with some coin to throw at suspension and tire upgrade and you'll have a new beast on your hands. A C5z is an awesome 'bang for your buck' and you won't have much of an insurance premium increase either.

Originally Posted by NJShoreRR
Hello fellow C5’ers! Sorry for the long post, but looking for some (hopefully) helpful opinions/thoughts/suggestions.

I feel like I’m at a crossroads and I’m hoping that someone whose has been where I am right now can offer up some positive input.

I picked up my 2001 M6 Coupe last year. I pretty much daily drive the car unless its heavy rain or snow. I daily it by choice, not because I have to. I love the car, I love driving it…..I enjoy everything about it. Right now she’s pretty much stock with the exception of an intake, long tubes, high flow cats, BB catback and a mail order tune from Doug at ECS. She’s got 130k on her now. Even though she runs and drives great, (with the exception of a little lifter noise), I’m ready for some sort of an upgrade. I’m not looking to build a beast, just something with about 400-450hp….enough hold my own against my brother ’13 Grand Sport And I know HP isn’t everything and I would rarely get to take advantage of it, but knowing it’s there would make my smile that much brighter…… I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels that way!

#1:

If I were to do any additional mods I wanted to stick with a $4k budget. My first through was a SC, but that would definitely exceed the budget. Then I was thinking heads and cam, but does it make sense to do that on a bottom end with 130k? Short of building the motor, which will cost more than $4k, what could I do to get more power and still keep her reliable enough for daily driving and the occasional road trip?

#2:

The alternative was to move up to a C6. After selling the C5 I would have about $25k to spend. I wish the budget can be bigger but I just got married 9 months ago and there are talks of expanding the family, so going all out and buying the C6Z that would really make me happy is kind of out of the question. A C5 would put me at the 400ish HP that I want to be at, but my biggest fear is missing the comfort I have grown to love about my C5.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer….

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited by I’m Z one; 06-30-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I understand the OP's point....not everyone can throw money away and burn it in a pile in the front yard like some of us.

I burn money all day long it seems.... repairs, upgrades, annual $1300 tire budget..... always something.

But no money will buy my C5 from me.

I say, if you aren't committed to your C5...buy a C6 whatever.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

C6 certainly won't be "Less comfortable". They are quite nice. If your brother has a GS, drive it a few times and certainly you can't say it lacks something the C5 has.

My guess is you really don't want to spend for a new (to you) car, so I'll continue with that thought in mind.

I am currently in the same boat, all except I've been accumulating new parts for well over a year. My car is about ready to go together. I asked a forum vendor whom I've been in contact with, what they would recommend I do. Ultimately I am disappointed to say I didn't go the route that was recommended, but more because I could not find parts in short order. But I might do it as time goes by if I find the stuff.

I already have an LS1 motor from a salvage to go in that dyno'd 395/387. With cam/heads done, many other parts. All parts for swap to M6, ls7 clutch, new TT, rear and tranny from a Z, suspension bushings, long tubes, catted X, Ti Z06 axleback, and every other thing needed to more or less do it right. His suggestion was to stick on 243 heads and a new intake with larger TB (ALL USED) and that would have me around a grand or a little more, and it would wake the motor up considerably.

Those heads and intake are things you could do to yours without breaking the bank if you shop and find a used set in good shape. Then maybe a CAI and some other trinkets, you might be surprised what you can get from the car you've got.

My car is paid for, as is all the stuff I bought. So if you're like me and don't want to flush a bunch of money down the drain for something that might be nice, but certainly ain't necessary, then don't. I was looking at two C6Zs last Friday night. Yes, I could afford one, no I don't want to. Right at this time, I'm better off just messing with what I've got and waiting till other higher priority things are taken care of. I can't buy the Z without taking out a loan and I'm not getting a car payment. Not at any amount.

There's a certain peace of mind I get from knowing I'm not car poor. I'd like to have a SC and nicer newer car, who wouldn't? But at the same time I can't do it without changing my lifestyle right now so that's out.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:34 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I think you're being unrealistic about the price you'd get for your 130k car. A modded C5/Z is the performance bargain of the century. I wouldn't settle for anything but a Z. These are just my opinions, YMV.
I never said what I would get for mine. I know what it would sell for and I know how much I would be willing to add to get to where I would want to be.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
My car is paid for, as is all the stuff I bought. So if you're like me and don't want to flush a bunch of money down the drain for something that might be nice, but certainly ain't necessary, then don't. I was looking at two C6Zs last Friday night. Yes, I could afford one, no I don't want to. Right at this time, I'm better off just messing with what I've got and waiting till other higher priority things are taken care of. I can't buy the Z without taking out a loan and I'm not getting a car payment. Not at any amount.
You just described exactly the position I'm in. I can do the C6Z but I dont plan on having her sit in the garage and admire how pretty she is.....I wanna drive it. If I put 15k-20k miles a year on a car that 40k I would be a lot more upset than I would if I did that to a car that I paid 25k for. That's why I bought my 01, cause I knew I was going to drive it every chance I had....and I did 17k in the first year I owned it.

I just can't allow myself to burn that cash. Thought maybe the LS2/LS3 C6 would be a good compromise.

C5Z isnt for me....I need my top to come off so I can enjoy the wind on my head where my hair used to be
Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Joepro95
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I made this decision last year(not the mod part but c5 vs GS or c6z) I LOVE how the widebooty c6s look, to die for, but my wallet liked the price of the c5, and while I still drool over the c6z and know I could have had one, after I can do cam/heads and clutch for far less than the base price of the c6z..(I am a mod everything guy, next thing you know id be dumping mad cash into the c6z...) I have a fun little car that I made my own. Its tough to get over the his car is faster, heck I went from a 525 whp twin scroll turbo 370z to the c5, but man, top off screamin v8 rolling through the countryside, pure bliss at a great price...its surely a coin toss, I still contemplate it to this day, but I have grown to love the c5. Best mods so far, LG gt2 coilovers, SEATS corbeau evo x, and good tires will TRANSFORM this car, I can out run experienced bike riders on many challenging roads. The older I get the less I care about pure acceleration, ya I still want it, but oddly enough this car feels at home in the twisties. I still get TONs of looks and compliments on the car as well, I never expected that from a lowly C5...pic for attention, cant help it
Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

If you just want more HP then its not too hard on a budget.

You already have a free flowing exhaust but it may not be being used yet untill something needs to flow through it.

If you just want to see a 75 to 120 hp gain on the cheep then you could score some 799 heads for about $300 and have them rebuilt at a head shop. Install a cam that is slightly better than the Z06 and some good springs. That is less than a grand.

When you get the head work done have the shop mill it down a bit to raise compression and use a .010" thinner head gasket. Longer duration cams like a bit more compression in most cases.

Use LS7 lifters. They should compensate for the change in valve geometry and quiet the valve train.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You just described exactly the position I'm in. I can do the C6Z but I dont plan on having her sit in the garage and admire how pretty she is.....I wanna drive it. If I put 15k-20k miles a year on a car that 40k I would be a lot more upset than I would if I did that to a car that I paid 25k for. That's why I bought my 01, cause I knew I was going to drive it every chance I had....and I did 17k in the first year I owned it.

I just can't allow myself to burn that cash. Thought maybe the LS2/LS3 C6 would be a good compromise.

C5Z isnt for me....I need my top to come off so I can enjoy the wind on my head where my hair used to be
The LS2/3 C6 IS a good compromise, but you'd need to shop that pretty hard too. Some of them are not great deals, and certainly not this time of year.

I don't drive as many miles a year as you. I'm around 6-7k / year. So a different thought process.

But you've hit my take on it too. In addition, I think of the REAL cost, not just the "Well, the car is 40 grand and that's it" attitude. My car in trade is worth nothing. I have to sell it private party, a dealership won't give me anything for it. So, now that means the sales tax is all on me, no deferred amount there for the "trade". $2400 in tax. Sell my car outright and recoup some, but being realistic, I'd need to add 30 grand to it and while I have some cash, now that means I'm cash poor and still have payments to make. Ok, I've decided I 'can't afford it'. Yea, the payment would only be $500 a month for 3 years, but I ain't getting into that. Oh, and that means I have another bill for interest over that time. It just isn't within my budget. I could rob more money from elsewhere but I don't roll that way. This X amount is what I get to live on and I stay within it. And it's pretty easy to do with no car payment. And it's not like I'm driving a Civic.

My other thought is a base C6 but in truth they are not as 'cheap' as a GS or Z from a depreciation standpoint. Great idea if I was going to buy a car, not so great if I am dead set on spending enough to get something pretty special AND I already have a car. Now the C6 is a luxury. (thought I'd love to have one) In a year or so my budget should change and maybe I can go get a Z car without it cramping my style. At that point if I feel I 'can' afford it I will make a decision then.

I was at THIS DEALERSHIP last Friday night and omg, what a candy store for car guys. There's all sorts of stuff there that's not on their site. For example, a DB7 and DB9 not listed, a 430, a Benz AMG... They move some of the cars so fast they never get them up on the site. That DB9 was

They had 8 Vettes on the lot. 3 C5 and 5 C6 (well 9 if you include a C3)

Most all there are low miles cars. My buddy bought his 10 GS Vert there with 5K on the clock last summer. What a beauty. He tried to talk me into grabbing an AO C6Z at the same time and I have to say I was close, but I chose to put my cash elsewhere instead. (something that appreciates vs depreciates). Thankfully I did or I would have probably considered that money a car and spent it by now. I'm glad I did not.

Someday....

And I may end up with a Base C6 yet if a really nice one came along at a reasonable price. But they are not always what I call a great deal. So much so I'm almost convinced that the lesser models are better bought brand new.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:09 AM
sierra 43
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were going to get out of my 01 C5 convertible it would have to be for a C6 GS with 427, or a Z06 with a 427. My C5 has the adjustable suspension, and a most of the Z upgrades, Z wheels/tires, bigger brakes and calipers. Blackwing and carbon Fiber intake tunnel, BBK throttle body, X pipe and Corsa exhaust with a tune. It has plenty of power for public roads.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:22 PM
moekluse
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Forget a base c6. Id go with c5zo6 or a c6z06. If you cant afford a c6z then a c5z would be an awesome compromise
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Hands down, the C5Z!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 2000 FRC and plan to mod / update the car vs buying a "newer" Vette. I really love my FRC and don't plan on selling her.

Besides.... I can mod my "paid for" C5 and it'll be faster than any new stock Vette out there.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 07-01-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Why didn't you buy a 'vert in the first place? At least they don't look as dorky as the coupes.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:36 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Why didn't you buy a 'vert in the first place? At least they don't look as dorky as the coupes.
Cause the coupes are AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Chev
Cause the coupes are AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

WOW!!!! I'm haveing a romantic love affair with my beautiful coupe this whole weekend and my wife thinks we're going to the coast just for her ( she's very pretty too)but that's beside the point that was just MEAN!

Quick Reply: Upgrade the C5 OR Move to a C6: Help/Advice?