Sponsored by:

DRL / Parking Light LED Upgrades

Old 07-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by StealthStrike42
Is it something that requires my middle console being removed? If so, I think I'm going to jump on that now because I already have my console out lol
Nope. Requires you to remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel. A little tricky, but as stated above- shouldn't take more than half an hour.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
the resistors go bad, I wouldn't go with them do the hyper flash unit, no problems with them at all.
Agreed, the resistors pictured are junk..I found out the hard way. I replaced with the the hyperflash harness and no worries anymore.
The following users liked this post:
StealthStrike42 (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
Nope. Requires you to remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel. A little tricky, but as stated above- shouldn't take more than half an hour.
Awesome, finally had a chance to see the instructions and it does look pretty easy. Thank you so much for that, it does sound like a good idea to get that over resistors.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...it does sound like a good idea to get that over resistors.
Without a doubt!

The best solution for this is to install a hyperflash harness. This harness will fix hyperflashing turn signals when LEDs are installed (although hazards will still do it), while avoiding all the problems associated with the heat created by shunt resistors.

This one even includes 2 LEDs for you license plate lights for just $34.99. It's completely plug-and-play: no splicing or anything

Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Did the switchbacks and resistors less than a year ago. Looked and worked great until the resistors burned out. One just turned black on the outside of the case. The other one burned through both ends of the case and the wires burned off the resistor unit contained inside. The resistor coil(?) inside fell out of the case.

Will be replacing the flasher with an LED flasher when I pull the dash pad off to fix the drooping HUD next week.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:57 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Good call. You will not be disappointed . You will have smile from ear to ear.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Alfyjr
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 0.2 cents, I'm not much for vendors but often times going for the cheapest isn't the best IMO sometimes. For the DRL bulb I would go for Radioflyers(its pretty damn bright if not the brightest), T10(194) you could shop around and get pretty good deals depending on how bright you honestly want or need (ddm tuning has pretty good variety). Try to stay away from group deals from China they burn out easily( an LED burn out what?!) and they're as bright as an iphone on lowest brightness lmao. The housing try eBay and make sure its sealed correctly before anything (they come cheaper here, like $40 or more).

Not bashing any vendors or anything but sometimes you gotta take alternative routes lol
Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Originally Posted by GCG
Without a doubt!

The best solution for this is to install a hyperflash harness. This harness will fix hyperflashing turn signals when LEDs are installed (although hazards will still do it), while avoiding all the problems associated with the heat created by shunt resistors.

This one even includes 2 LEDs for you license plate lights for just $34.99. It's completely plug-and-play: no splicing or anything

Yeah I was looking around that same site earlier for a unit. The license plate lights this one comes with would fit a 194 socket right? I already have my license plate lights upgraded but if they fit a 194 then I can use them for my parking lights up front lol

Originally Posted by Alfyjr
my 0.2 cents, I'm not much for vendors but often times going for the cheapest isn't the best IMO sometimes. For the DRL bulb I would go for Radioflyers(its pretty damn bright if not the brightest), T10(194) you could shop around and get pretty good deals depending on how bright you honestly want or need (ddm tuning has pretty good variety). Try to stay away from group deals from China they burn out easily( an LED burn out what?!) and they're as bright as an iphone on lowest brightness lmao. The housing try eBay and make sure its sealed correctly before anything (they come cheaper here, like $40 or more).

Not bashing any vendors or anything but sometimes you gotta take alternative routes lol
No I agree, won't point out any more vendors by name but really the prices are not the best and sure you can try to justify it by saying, "You get what you pay for," but some times, you get less than what you pay for / overpay for what you get.

But yeah talking to Radioflyer he said his DRL's are the brightest that will fit in the housings for a C5. So I'll probably roll with those. Plus I want my DRL's to run white 24/7 except when flashing hazards or turn signals, so I have to get his White DRL Harness for $90 (Unless someone knows where to get it cheaper? I can't find it anywhere else). So right now I'm planning on getting the housings and hyperflash unit from eBay, DRL / parking light bulbs and white DRL harness from Radioflyer.

Last edited by StealthStrike42; 07-06-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:35 PM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah I was looking around that same site earlier for a unit. The license plate lights this one comes with would fit a 194 socket right? I already have my license plate lights upgraded but if they fit a 194 then I can use them for my parking lights up front lol

No I agree, won't point out any more vendors by name but really the prices are not the best and sure you can try to justify it by saying, "You get what you pay for," but some times, you get less than what you pay for / overpay for what you get.

But yeah talking to Radioflyer he said his DRL's are the brightest that will fit in the housings for a C5. So I'll probably roll with those. Plus I want my DRL's to run white 24/7 except when flashing hazards or turn signals, so I have to get his White DRL Harness for $90 (Unless someone knows where to get it cheaper? I can't find it anywhere else). So right now I'm planning on getting the housings and hyperflash unit from eBay, DRL / parking light bulbs and white DRL harness from Radioflyer.
That's what I did it worked out great.
The following users liked this post:
StealthStrike42 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Originally Posted by RVETTE42
That's what I did it worked out great.
Wonderful, glad to hear some one else has executed and been happy with the same plan that came to me
Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

If you are set on switchbacks them my recommendation for Sylvania ZEVO bulbs is moot, but I like them so much I thought I'd mention them.
I believe my clear housings are from eBay, and they are great, I also have the hyperflash harness because all my exterior lights are LED. Certain led 194's are kind of tall, so be careful regarding your rear side markers. As for the free bulbs that came with the harness, I think I just put one in my glovebox socket. Don't waste your time using them for anything out side.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:47 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
If you are set on switchbacks them my recommendation for Sylvania ZEVO bulbs is moot, but I like them so much I thought I'd mention them.
I believe my clear housings are from eBay, and they are great, I also have the hyperflash harness because all my exterior lights are LED. Certain led 194's are kind of tall, so be careful regarding your rear side markers. As for the free bulbs that came with the harness, I think I just put one in my glovebox socket. Don't waste your time using them for anything out side.
Yeah I'm 100% dead set on switch backs, the ENTIRE reason for the upgrade is to make it so I only see orange lights when my turn signals are on or hazards, and that is it. The orange looks so dated. Everything looks way fancier when running white DRL's.

Awesome, thanks so much for your input
Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Yeah I'm 100% dead set on switch backs, the ENTIRE reason for the upgrade is to make it so I only see orange lights when my turn signals are on or hazards, and that is it. The orange looks so dated. Everything looks way fancier when running white DRL's.

Awesome, thanks so much for your input
I had switchbacks but they were too tall for the lens, so I returned them for a better quality sidemarker.
Since I want to bring out the warm aspect of my pewter paint, I went more Amber, with all Amber bulbs in the front and for the fog lights. I will be doing Amber in the coves as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

I had switchbacks but they were too tall for the lens, so I returned them for a better quality sidemarker.
Since I want to bring out the warm aspect of my pewter paint, I went more Amber, with all Amber bulbs in the front and for the fog lights. I will be doing Amber in the coves as well.
You know I do think I like the amber there in your avatar picture. Imagining white would almost make it seem like a harsh contrast with your paint... At least in my mind it seems that way lol I think you went the right route for your paint
Old 07-08-2016, 07:02 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

You know I do think I like the amber there in your avatar picture. Imagining white would almost make it seem like a harsh contrast with your paint... At least in my mind it seems that way lol I think you went the right route for your paint
That was taken when I first got the car home. I need to take another with the new clear lenses and the yellow fogs on as well. I did lots of experimentation with my Z06 (including the cheap ebay HID kits) and decided to make it easier on myself this time.
I'm not done with the front yet, its moving up the list as I do a lot of the more 'important' stuff, but I think it will be wired into an independent 'car show' circuit. You know they do make red and yellow switchbacks....
Old 07-08-2016, 07:26 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

That was taken when I first got the car home. I need to take another with the new clear lenses and the yellow fogs on as well. I did lots of experimentation with my Z06 (including the cheap ebay HID kits) and decided to make it easier on myself this time.
I'm not done with the front yet, its moving up the list as I do a lot of the more 'important' stuff, but I think it will be wired into an independent 'car show' circuit. You know they do make red and yellow switchbacks....
That's cool, didn't know that

Any one know for sure what all the sockets are as far as the type goes? CK or Standard? I'm assuming standard. Referring to this;

http://www.vleds.com/ck/

Last edited by StealthStrike42; 07-08-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default The price from Corvette Envy

Originally Posted by rconkin
I got my switchbacks from Corvette Envy that included the hyper flash unit that goes under that dash and takes care of all the signal lights and included the led bulbs for the license plate in the package also. When I installed led tail lights later the hyper flash unit was already there and all I had to do was plug them in. Much easier than splicing in resistors. Here's a link to the thread about them https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vetteenvy.html
looks to be $45 cheaper than Radio Flyer? Am I correct?

Last edited by David Shiel; 07-09-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DRL / Parking Light LED Upgrades

Old 07-09-2016, 03:16 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Corvette Envy

Hey guys!

I am about to upgrade my lens housings, parking lights, and DRL's.

I know Corvette Mods sells Switchback, parking lights, and a resistor as a package but that comes out to $70 even with a 7% off discount code from them for the 4th of July. I also know they like to severely overprice their items to make huge profits (ex; Carbon Fiber Race spoiler for C5's = $580 from Corvette mods while WCC sells the same exact spoiler for $400. That's only one example).

I know that right now I have 4157 lights in for the turn signals and read in another thread here that the parking lights are a 194 bulb, and I know I need a resistor to prevent hyperflashing with LED's.

Will these three items work in my C5? (Mine is a 2000, I don't think that matters though)

For the DRL's

For the parking lights

For the resistor

Also, to install the resistor, what has to be done? Any splicing or anything?
2 - 6th Gen Switchbacks, 2 -194-LEDs and 1 Hyperflash plug and play harness that will solve hyperflash on not only for the fronts, but the rear LED halo tails all for $70.00, no shipping and no tax. Tobme a fair deal.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:19 PM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Shiel
2 - 6th Gen Switchbacks, 2 -194-LEDs and 1 Hyperflash plug and play harness that will solve hyperflash on not only for the fronts, but the rear LED halo tails all for $70.00, no shipping and no tax. Tobme a fair deal.
You talking about the Corvette Envy deal? Yeah I agree, that is really good actually, but I got a free $50 amazon gift card recently and wanted to get the parking lights and switchback's from there so I don't have to pay any cash for them, and no point getting that kit since I'm getting the switchback's and 194's from Amazon, and the harness is half that price on eBay.

Ended up getting switchbacks for $29.99, parking lights for $9.99, Hyperflash Harness with license plate lights for $34.99, and clear turn signal housing for $43.99. So about $119 all together for now. If the switchback's I got only run white when the headlights are on I'll be getting radioflyer's white DRL harness to make them run white at all times. That's $90 extra. Only paid cash for the harness and housing so far, $78.98 is what that came to shipped.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM
StealthStrike42
Instructor

Should I unplug my battery before plugging in the hyperflash harness? I've replaced my right front turn signal bulb a few times without doing so, so I'm thinking I might be fine to not unplug the battery before installing the harness but thought I should ask the veterans to be safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DRL / Parking Light LED Upgrades