Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage queen won’t pass Calif smog now

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Y'oughta write down that tech's name so you can follow him around the state. I'm not jokin'. Hopefully, he never leaves the county. At the least, note the shop that passed you and be sure you know if it moves before your next test.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

After reading all of this, I am more glad than ever that I live in Georgia. It's great that you were able to get the issue resolved.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Well done. Go out and drive that thing now. Enjoy it.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like those smog test can really be a headache. I'm happy I don't have to deal with that here in Louisiana. Glad u got ur car to pass the test though. Don't foget to put some miles on her.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My car's previous owner had the same problem, needed a new gas cap to pass. It seems they have adjusted that part of the law, you can now pass without a good filler cap gasket. He did kick that it cost him 90 bucks for a new gas cap.

Glad you are able to again enjoy your car, and that it turned out to be something so simple. I don't mind non driven cars at all. Everybody else is out there tearing them up. I go to too many museums and car events to kick about well preserved cars, they have got to come from somewhere.

I threw in the rest for those that might seem puzzled at the CAlifornia smog experience.

The smog laws are a long term deal, people voted for cleaner air many decades ago, out of need.

The community strongly supports these laws, and I respect the laws and my community. Last I heard the state now has the highest pollution levels in the country, because of the asian port traffic. Which, as luck would have it , is located geographically in a place that traps smog.

It used to be that your eyes would burn when you went to locations where the smog gathered, and if it was real bad , you got tears . I remember being able to only to see the red lights at the end of the block, the green and yellow signal lights couldn't cut the mechanical haze.

Kids in these areas still get life long lung damage before they leave elementary school , but everybody is trying to help. California has all kinds of cars, at all kinds of power levels. Few choose to be smog outlaws , most people are pretty decent and respect the community and it's laws. IT's not a big deal, just part of life in the big city. IF you want to play, bring some cash, that's how cars are. Smog legal factory 1000 horsepower cars are available all day long if you have the cash. The smog laws are only a problem if you insist on building an outhouse in a world of flush toilets.

THe clapped out smoker noted in the story is a relief in the law, we have a lot of hot rodders with old cars. People with newer smoking cars can turn them in for 12000 cash or keep them smog compliant. I got paid on a Toyota, and could have sold it for more to a local gardener , but I lost his number by the tine I failed smog. There is a five hundred dollar limit on smog repairs, after that the car is legal, until the next test.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

On my 2003 Silverado, I had an EVAP problem as well. There is a solenoid in the system that has to open/close. Yours just may be shot. As you know, electrical components that move can just die randomly.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
did you pay your dmv fees already? you can pay and not be penalized a late fee. it will hold for MONTHS (don't ask me how I know). you run a slight risk of getting pulled over after your registration due date but highly doubt it would be a serious issue. hope you get it resolved

also im sure you are going back to the same place since they have free/cheap retest but maybe you should take it to a different shop

I see that the car has passed smog, but I was going to suggest registering it non-op, since the OP doesn't drive it anyway.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM
gkohl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a very timely thread. I'm in the same boat as the OP. My 2000 has been sitting in the garage with the battery disconnected (been busy with other things) and my smog inspection is due at the end of August. I didn't realize that the EVAP readiness test was going to be a problem. When I changed the battery in my 98 Grand Prix, all readiness tests were complete the next day.

As OP pointed out, the state of CA allows a pass with the EVAP test being incomplete w/ 2000 and newer. I did not want to take a chance with my smog station and was determined to get this thing to pass. I only want to do the smog test once. So, I drove 150 miles and found out that it is impossible to complete a Drive Cycle as instructed in the LA/Orange County area. So I was going to give up and have it tested as is.

A few months ago, I bought a clone TECH 2 but have not really had a reason to use it. So last night I pulled it out and was going through the menu's and there it was. Under Special Functions/Service Bay Operations there was an EVAP Test. Plugged it in, ran the test as instructed, and in less that 10 minutes the test passed and now all OBD readiness tests are complete. I'm grinning from ear to ear right now.

The only glitch that I encountered is that initially, you are supposed to start the test with the key on, engine not running. Then you are supposed to turn the key off for 10 sec. and then start the engine. When I started the engine, the TECH 2 re-booted itself. I didn't think the test was going to run but it did and it passed.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:51 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I do not live there, Vancouver Canada had air care, finally realized for the cost of the program cars are so efficient waste of money to test, yes I know it does not answer your question

Quick Reply: Garage queen won’t pass Calif smog now