Sponsored by:

dealership shorted me a quart of oil 1200 miles ago should i be worried

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If the invoice says 6 qts then the bozo that changed the oil never checked the proper capacity for your car. I would give the service manager a piece of my mind and likely would be the last they would ever see of me. As always YMMV.

As evidenced by the OP's comments in his opening post, his stealership uses 7 qts normally. I personally use 7 in mine and have been flamed by Forum members many times for "overfilling" the oil. Got my flame resistant jokeys on this morning so I'm ready for that......
I change my own and 7 quarts go in every time.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you had 6 quarts in the car, nothing bad should have happened. The specs on the car call for 6.5 quarts with a filter change (that's what I have always added and it reads full each time).

Just make sure the dealer puts the right amount in next time and that they credit you for the quart they shorted you.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by calbrit561
Oil pressure sender broke 6 months ago just want replaced it. So no idea

That is NOT logical...NO OPS and you just checked your oil after having some shop change it and it was low...you my friend are playing Russian Roulette ... with your LS1
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Oil pressure sender broke 6 months ago just want replaced it. So no idea
F ix
O r
R eplace
D aily

No seriously, take care of the sender issue so U know what's going on.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette

That is NOT logical...NO OPS and you just checked your oil after having some shop change it and it was low...you my friend are playing Russian Roulette ... with your LS1
And after 1200 miles of being driven like it was stolen at redline. Hmm.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette

Ohh I know. I just havnt had the money or time to fix it. I got two newborn twins that are sucking away all my money and time. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the *** to change. My local shop want 500 to do it
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Ohh I know. I just havnt had the money or time to fix it. I got two newborn twins that are sucking away all my money and time. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the *** to change. My local shop want 500 to do it
First Congrats on the twins...

The switch is about $50 ... New motor...$6000

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ressure+switch

you have three method of DIY to choose from... none are hard to do...
You can do a google search for any of these methods and see which one you want to do...

1. Pull the Intake Manifold...
2. Cut a hole in the wiper tray...
3. You can get it with a socket...

Good luck have fun with them twins..
Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can understand kids and time and financial constraints but take care of your car and it will take care of you. It takes less than an hr to change the sensor with manifold removal.

My wires to my oil level sensor got melted so when I pulled the manifolds to install headers I pulled the starter and repaired the harness, then routed the harness on the backside of the starter against the block/oilpan instead of on the outside towards the exhaust to protect it from happening again.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by msupc
I live in Knoxville, TN, and recently had the oil in my new-to-me '01 coupe changed at Reeder Chevrolet. This dealer is the home of the local Corvette Club (which I am not yet a member of), and they are known around the area as Corvette gurus - their show room is full of vettes.

I had them flush the brake fluid, radiator fluid, and change the oil. Upon picking the car up, I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and was surprised to see the level only to the bottom of the hash marks.

I came home and read up on the forum, and the level should be halfway at least but better to be at the top of the hash marks. I picked up a quart of Mobil 1 5w-30 and added about 3/4 of it until the level registered to the top of the hash marks.

I guess they shorted me 3/4-1 quart of oil as well. What gives?!
Why would you leave if you were unsure about the oil level? Your local guru should have came out and looked at the dip stick reading and addressed your concern.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 AM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalace
Why would you leave if you were unsure about the oil level? Your local guru should have came out and looked at the dip stick reading and addressed your concern.
In this case hind sight is 20/20. If I knew then what I know now then I certainly would have asked for the service manager and/or mechanic to review it with me. As stated previously, I made the assumption that they knew what they were doing. I found out later that my assumption was wrong, and the dealership was wrong too.

Fortunately in this case there was no harm done so no foul. I will however be changing my own oil next time.

The more you live the more you learn!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:21 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

So basically key is to check the oil level when engine is warm 3 minutes after shutoff, not cold which would show higher level when it settles?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by pmr2000
So basically key is to check the oil level when engine is warm 3 minutes after shutoff, not cold which would show higher level when it settles?
Mine seems to always be at the top mark either cold before starting or warm after it settles for 5 minutes.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Most importantly

Check it with the car sittting level.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

...... I will however be changing my own oil next time.......
Best idea.

I always do my own. I learned a long time ago that someone else may not take care in doing it.

I saw filters put on that were loose, or tightened with a wrench and near impossible to remove, and loose or stripped drain plugs, not to mention the overfilled/underfilled or the wrong oil.

I even saw once that the transmission fluid was drained an then oil put in the engine. The transmission was dry and the engine was way overfilled. I can't blame that one on a shop though because it was a friend of my dad's that was teaching my brother how to change oil on his first car.

For most maintenance/repairs/mods you don't know if it was done right unless you do it yourself.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 AM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
Best idea.

I always do my own. I learned a long time ago that someone else may not take care in doing it.

I saw filters put on that were loose, or tightened with a wrench and near impossible to remove, and loose or stripped drain plugs, not to mention the overfilled/underfilled or the wrong oil.

I even saw once that the transmission fluid was drained an then oil put in the engine. The transmission was dry and the engine was way overfilled. I can't blame that one on a shop though because it was a friend of my dad's that was teaching my brother how to change oil on his first car.

For most maintenance/repairs/mods you don't know if it was done right unless you do it yourself.
Yessir!

If you want something done right now-a-days, then you have to do it yourself.

To the OP - You are correct that you should wait a few minutes after shutting the warm engine off to check the oil. From what I understand - bottom of the hash marks means approximately 1/2 to 1 qt low. Some folks like to run it at half way, and some like it at the top of the hash marks. I like to run at the top of the hash marks myself.

One thing I forgot to mention - the engine and valve train were a bit noisy when I got the car back from the dealer when the oil level was at the bottom of the hash marks. After 3/4 of a quart of oil the valve train was significantly more quiet.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Yessir!

If you want something done right now-a-days, then you have to do it yourself.

To the OP - You are correct that you should wait a few minutes after shutting the warm engine off to check the oil. From what I understand - bottom of the hash marks means approximately 1/2 to 1 qt low. Some folks like to run it at half way, and some like it at the top of the hash marks. I like to run at the top of the hash marks myself.

One thing I forgot to mention - the engine and valve train were a bit noisy when I got the car back from the dealer when the oil level was at the bottom of the hash marks. After 3/4 of a quart of oil the valve train was significantly more quiet.
That pretty much verifies where the correct oil level should be. Top mark.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:41 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If the invoice says 6 qts then the bozo that changed the oil never checked the proper capacity for your car. I would give the service manager a piece of my mind and likely would be the last they would ever see of me. As always YMMV.

As evidenced by the OP's comments in his opening post, his stealership uses 7 qts normally. I personally use 7 in mine and have been flamed by Forum members many times for "overfilling" the oil. Got my flame resistant jokeys on this morning so I'm ready for that......
Based on info. in this thread I checked mine as well. Full temp, parked level, waited 5 min. Oil is up to top hole/indicator and is at "max". Doing the math on the service invoice they put in 7 quarts. All seems well. It is at the top of the indicator and certainly would not want to add more but I'm going to check it more frequently now....

Last edited by RoninC5; 07-28-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: dealership shorted me a quart of oil 1200 miles ago should i be worried