Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Clean Master Cylinder Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:13 PM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How To Clean Master Cylinder Reservoir?

I tried searching for a thread that covered this exact topic but came up empty handed.

I had the brake fluid flushed in my '01 coupe recently. After inspecting the work done by the dealership I realized that the master cylinder reservoir is filthy. The brake fluid is clean, but there is buildup inside the reservoir that causes the fluid to look dirty.

My question is:
Am I able to remove the master cylinder reservoir and clean it without having to bleed the brakes? If so, is there a DIY available or are there instructions available to do this?

I was thinking of removing the brake fluid with a syringe that I use to perform the "Ranger Method", and then removing the reservoir, cleaning, reinstalling, and refilling. Is this possible?

I understand that this will not likely have an impact on the performance of the braking system, but if I could clean the reservoir out then my OCD itch will be scratched.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Brake fluid attracts moisture and that is what causes it to degrade. It is recommended to expose it to air as little as possible.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by JR-01
Brake fluid attracts moisture and that is what causes it to degrade. It is recommended to expose it to air as little as possible.
You are correct that brake fluid is hygroscopic.

My question is am I able to remove the reservoir and clean it?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by msupc
You are correct that brake fluid is hygroscopic.

My question is am I able to remove the reservoir and clean it?
I wouldn't.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Spray it with PlastiDip !!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are asking for trouble. I say leave it alone.

People with OCD always need to obsess about something... This can be yours.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I disassembled mine and cleaned the guts and the reservoir with brake parts cleaner. Got about 80% of the reservoir cleaned up. I also know how to bleed my systems and have all the nice tools to make it easy.
Chris
Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 PM
99blue frc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cleaned my master cylinder with 6" long q-tips. after I removed almost all of the fluid, I was able to remove most of the gunk, but only in the rear resevoir area that has the fill cap. it looks a lot better
Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I wouldn't mess with it. Air in the master is no fun.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black 02
I wouldn't mess with it. Air in the master is no fun.
Actually the master cyl. is the easiest part in the system to bleed, as a tech we loved master cyl. replaces, was fast and easy money, compared to any other part in the brake system. As with many repairs to a car or truck people are intimated and fear different parts they are not comfortable working on and that makes the job harder than it might normally be.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by akapounder
Actually the master cyl. is the easiest part in the system to bleed, as a tech we loved master cyl. replaces, was fast and easy money, compared to any other part in the brake system. As with many repairs to a car or truck people are intimated and fear different parts they are not comfortable working on and that makes the job harder than it might normally be.
I must have done my truck wrong, it was a pain in the you know what after I swapped out the master. I later read I should have bench bled it first, maybe that was my problem? Either way, I got tired of taking the wheels off to keep bleeding the system but I guess I needed the exercise anyway
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

I must have done my truck wrong, it was a pain in the you know what after I swapped out the master. I later read I should have bench bled it first, maybe that was my problem? Either way, I got tired of taking the wheels off to keep bleeding the system but I guess I needed the exercise anyway
Steve, that is why I get into debates with some, because of all my experience I take for granted things I learned thru all my years of wrenching and that they will read the instructions (if available). yes bench bleeding is very important, I also use the gravity method as often as I can, so I am not pumping air into the system. I also cannot remember not using a pressure bleeder. The Automated Bleed with the Tech 2 on my vette this past winter was fun !!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

You can if you have to,replace it. I had to because mine began to crack. Not a lot of money.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by akapounder
Steve, that is why I get into debates with some, because of all my experience I take for granted things I learned thru all my years of wrenching and that they will read the instructions (if available). yes bench bleeding is very important, I also use the gravity method as often as I can, so I am not pumping air into the system. I also cannot remember not using a pressure bleeder. The Automated Bleed with the Tech 2 on my vette this past winter was fun !!!!
Appreciate it. If I ever have to do it again I think I'll be able to do a better job. Usually I learn a better way to do things after the fact, then never have to do it again, haha. I do have a motive power bleeder, but I think I simply introduced too much air into the system which took multiple bleeds to purge. Either way, worked great after it was all done but sure seemed to take forever since it requires multiple bleeds! I also got to do a new booster at the same time since the master failed and leaked brake fluid into the booster, fun times, not!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Appreciate it. If I ever have to do it again I think I'll be able to do a better job. Usually I learn a better way to do things after the fact, then never have to do it again, haha. I do have a motive power bleeder, but I think I simply introduced too much air into the system which took multiple bleeds to purge. Either way, worked great after it was all done but sure seemed to take forever since it requires multiple bleeds! I also got to do a new booster at the same time since the master failed and leaked brake fluid into the booster, fun times, not!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
You can if you have to,replace it. I had to because mine began to crack. Not a lot of money.
So you pulled it off and put the new one on without bleeding?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:34 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AKApounder is absolutely correct, remove your master cyl. and clean till your hearts content or replace it if you want. Then bench bleed it and reinstall and you will good.

Get notified of new replies

To How To Clean Master Cylinder Reservoir?

Old 07-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by msupc
So you pulled it off and put the new one on without bleeding?
No, it had to be bleed.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Pulling the resi should not be a issue as long as no one pushes the pedal while it is off
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

i haven't done this because I doubt it's necessary. But if I were so inclined, would suck as much fluid as possible out with turkey baster. Then stuff lint free cloth in there and mop around with a dowel, socket extension or something. Pull the cloth out with some forceps. Refill the cyl and ride happy.

Quick Reply: How To Clean Master Cylinder Reservoir?