Sponsored by:

My front and read video camera install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:33 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Default My front and read video camera install

As we all know, the ability to accurately judge both the front and rear of our cars leaves a lot to be desired, and I am sick of riding into or over those concrete stops or stopping 3' away from them, front and rear. It's embarrassing to have to get back in the car and pull up a little - you all have had that experience once in a while. So I decided to put in a front and rear camera system, just for parking. And I did it for less than $48 (including the free shipping from China), by getting the components off fleabay, and a SPDT switch from Ace Hardware.
I went for a wireless system because I didn't want to drill any holes in my rear trunk to run wires up forward into the passenger compartment.
The rear camera and wireless transmitter are powered by tapping into the feed for the backup lights, the camera is mounted over the license plate bracket underneath the rear deck lid, and all the wiring and the tiny transmitter fits easily into all the empty space behind the rear lights. I wrapped it up including all the connections in some bubble wrap inside a ziplock bag so it doesn't bounce around or possibly get wet (can't see how).
The monitor and front camera and wireless receiver for the rear camera is powered off the ignition-on accessory wires underneath the passenger footwell. The front camera power and video cables pass underneath the passenger side windshield molding and door jamb to get inside the car. The wiring is easily hidden underneath the glove box and center console, pushing it up there alongside where it overlaps the carpet and everything is hidden. I used a SPDT switch to power on the front camera when wanted, and also the receiver for the rear camera when wanted. The wiring for that switch, which is on the driver's side, was easily snaked through underneath the console without taking anything apart.

For now, 'till I find a permanent home for it, the monitor sits in front of the ashtray door, velcroed to a little plastic bracket that fits over the door and holds it snug so it stays put, and the SPDT switch right now is held tightly by the driver's side of the console, between the console and carpet where it is easily accessible and out of the way so it is not touched unless I reach for it. I may drill a half inch hole in the side of the plastic console and mount it more permanently, but for now it is quite secure where it sits.
The front camera is quite small and is mounted by really strong velcro is and very protected from bumps and things, the rear camera is hardly noticeable unless you look for it.
The pic with the red/green/yellow guidelines is the rear view, the one with the yellow lines is the front view. It's easy to adjust the cameras up and down for the view you want.
This works quite well and I'm happy with it.

(Sorry for where the pics come out, where they are in the narrative, I can't figure out how to arrange or move them.)

And BTW, the title should read front and rear, but there's no way to edit the typo.

Last edited by mrlmd; 08-05-2016 at 04:48 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by mrlmd:
gpruitt54 (01-19-2017), Pounder (08-07-2016), Rico7142 (03-26-2017), Sam Handwich (12-20-2016), tommie (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice job on the install. I can relate to it being difficult to judge where the front end is in relation to a parking curb.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

This is next on my list of mods. The previous owner put in a flip up dvd player that I think I can wire a camera to so I really want to get around to doing it. The front cam would be cool for showing me exactly how close I am to curbs and stuff. I'm SUPER **** about hitting every curb and uneven roads at an angle and slow speeds. I'd love to see how hair splitting it actually is.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:38 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

i would not mind having a back up camera, with a video screen in the rear view mirror...
Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Why do folks block their plates in pictures? Can't block it when your out and about and literally thousands of people can see it every day. So I guess it's just us forum types you don't trust.
The following 2 users liked this post by norcalace:
biggrizzly (03-23-2017), JiVe (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

I thought about the video screen in the rearview mirror but I didn't want any cables and wires hanging down that I had to hide.
Those pics were used for something else and I blocked the plate for whatever reason I can't explain. It wasn't to hide it from the friends on here, sorry.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:06 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I thought about the video screen in the rearview mirror but I didn't want any cables and wires hanging down that I had to hide.
Those pics were used for something else and I blocked the plate for whatever reason I can't explain. It wasn't to hide it from the friends on here, sorry.
Just a friendly jab. It's all good.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Looks like a great mod, what system did you use?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:44 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

I searched for a while on fleabay looking at different systems and options and I cobbled up a system and other components I needed.
First was a 5" monitor with rearview camera and wireless transmitter and receiver ($36.99), then a second camera for the front which comes with a video cable to direct wire to the monitor ($5.99), then a SPDT switch from Ace Hardware ($5.49) to connect either front or rear when I want. Practically all of these systems have a monitor which has 2 video inputs, and the wiring has to be correct for it to function properly. The only important thing is that only one video input can be powered on at a time, that's why I needed a DP switch in the circuit. The way I have it positioned now, monitor and switch, was just to prove that it works, and I'll probably rearrange it and mount or hide the switch better, but for right now it's OK. If you want the exact components I used or how I wired/powered it up, let me know by PM and I'll get back to you.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd

As we all know, the ability to accurately judge both the front and rear of our cars leaves a lot to be desired, and I am sick of riding into or over those concrete stops or stopping 3' away from them, front and rear. It's embarrassing to have to get back in the car and pull up a little - you all have had that experience once in a while. So I decided to put in a front and rear camera system, just for parking. And I did it for less than $48 (including the free shipping from China), by getting the components off fleabay, and a SPDT switch from Ace Hardware.
I went for a wireless system because I didn't want to drill any holes in my rear trunk to run wires up forward into the passenger compartment.
The rear camera and wireless transmitter are powered by tapping into the feed for the backup lights, the camera is mounted over the license plate bracket underneath the rear deck lid, and all the wiring and the tiny transmitter fits easily into all the empty space behind the rear lights. I wrapped it up including all the connections in some bubble wrap inside a ziplock bag so it doesn't bounce around or possibly get wet (can't see how).
The monitor and front camera and wireless receiver for the rear camera is powered off the ignition-on accessory wires underneath the passenger footwell. The front camera power and video cables pass underneath the passenger side windshield molding and door jamb to get inside the car. The wiring is easily hidden underneath the glove box and center console, pushing it up there alongside where it overlaps the carpet and everything is hidden. I used a SPDT switch to power on the front camera when wanted, and also the receiver for the rear camera when wanted. The wiring for that switch, which is on the driver's side, was easily snaked through underneath the console without taking anything apart.

For now, 'till I find a permanent home for it, the monitor sits in front of the ashtray door, velcroed to a little plastic bracket that fits over the door and holds it snug so it stays put, and the SPDT switch right now is held tightly by the driver's side of the console, between the console and carpet where it is easily accessible and out of the way so it is not touched unless I reach for it. I may drill a half inch hole in the side of the plastic console and mount it more permanently, but for now it is quite secure where it sits.
The front camera is quite small and is mounted by really strong velcro is and very protected from bumps and things, the rear camera is hardly noticeable unless you look for it.
The pic with the red/green/yellow guidelines is the rear view, the one with the yellow lines is the front view. It's easy to adjust the cameras up and down for the view you want.
This works quite well and I'm happy with it.

(Sorry for where the pics come out, where they are in the narrative, I can't figure out how to arrange or move them.)

And BTW, the title should read front and rear, but there's no way to edit the typo.
Great job! I assumed you had done a double DIN radio swap with video feeds. Backing the car up is nerve racking because you cannot see anything when it comes time to parallel parking or backing the car into a parking space.

I am going for a Double DIN radio with video this spring. It will have a backup camera. Maybe the head unit will have another video connection that I can use for a front camera.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I like the fact the rear camera is wireless, like you, I don't want to run wires. Nice setup
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Nice write up, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 PM
garorm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the post

I just bought a C5 Z06 and immediately released I needed a backup camera. You solved my problem of where to put the wireless backup camera transmitter without drilling holes.

I purchased a Garmin DriveSmart 60 GPS and the add on BC 30 wireless backup camera.

Didn't think about a front facing camera for parking; I will consider it.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

Nice job on the install. One of these days, I'll get a cameral installed on the rear.

As for the front, I use my HUD. Where it "appears in space" is actually about where the front of the car is.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:24 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Nice job on the install. One of these days, I'll get a cameral installed on the rear.

As for the front, I use my HUD. Where it "appears in space" is actually about where the front of the car is.
I'll have to check that out at the next curb stop. Nice to know.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Nice job on the install. I can relate to it being difficult to judge where the front end is in relation to a parking curb.
There is a technique I came up with 15 years ago when I got tired of trying to judge where the front of the car is. I always ended up parking too far away from bump stops and had to get back in the car and pull up by guessing.

Since I am the only driver and I never adjust my seat position and my height has not changed - that gives me one semi-fixed reference point to where my eyes are always in pretty much the same position in relation to the car. Next I pulled my car up and got it positioned perfectly in relation to where it should be when parked in the final position. Now I only needed two more points of reference to line up that were constant. Since curbs/parking stops are usually in a straight line perpendicular to the car, that gave me one reference. The last step was to find a fixed point outside the car (on the car) that never changes that I can use as an aiming sight for parking when it lines up with that perpendicular line.

The technical explanation above sounds involved, but it is real simple.
  1. Just park the car in a parking lot and position it where it should be.
  2. Next sit it in the car, close the door and glance out the drivers window and see where the curb or parking stop to the left of you is in relation to a fixed spot on the driver's mirror housing.

That's it. When pulling in to a parking space, I never even look out the windshield, I only glance over at that exact same place on my mirror housing and wait until it lines up with the curb/parking stop next to me. Since I never park between other cars, that is always visible. I usually get within an inch or two of were the car should be. Have not misjudged in 15 years of parking this way. In other words, I am in essence parking my mirror housing - not the front of the car which I cannot see!

Get notified of new replies

To My front and read video camera install

Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalace
Why do folks block their plates in pictures? Can't block it when your out and about and literally thousands of people can see it every day. So I guess it's just us forum types you don't trust.
Well he didnt do a good job anyway. Anyone familiar with a Fl tag can guess what his tag number is.

The reason most people do it is because when you are out on the street you are an anonymous driver not interacting with people. But in a forum you are interacting with people and speaking directly to them while still being anonymous. As a result you feel free to be a keyboard warrior and say things you would not dare say to them face to face. Since auto tags are public record, anyone can get the registrant information and know who you are and where you live. SO blocking your tag in a photo helps you stay safe when you **** someone off in a forum setting. Others (most likely the OP for example) do it not because they are trolls but because its become the norm and they dont give it much thought.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:48 PM
CorvetteFrankie
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Take the toggle out and replace with a flush rocker switch. Your leg is going to break that switch off someday. Nice install btw
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Front camera below AL laser jammer module

Kenwood DDX893 with Garmin has front/rear camera inputs

New interface has decent sized clock and menus

Camera at top of plate

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 03-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: My front and read video camera install