Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Vararam or not? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Christian327
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
This is your review for your Callaway Honker is it not?
Yessir
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, huge thanks to Doug at ECS... I went with a Vararam. Not sure how long it'll take to get here, but I'm going to try and install it this weekend.

I'll post up after I'm done. Thanks for all the help and feedback!

-Jon-
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by 00__Vette
Well, huge thanks to Doug at ECS... I went with a Vararam. Not sure how long it'll take to get here, but I'm going to try and install it this weekend.

-Jon-
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Esser
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

-Jon-

Get an ECS mail order tune with it. Huge bang for the buck
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Thanks guys! 00_Vette, it will be in the mail today!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Thanks guys! 00_Vette, it will be in the mail today!
Outstanding! Thanks again Doug.

-Jon-
Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Esser
Get an ECS mail order tune with it. Huge bang for the buck
Yeah, I was thinking about that but after I get some long tube headers. I plan on picking some up after Christmas.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexde1
I mistakenly ran through water that came over my hood and was glad I had a stock air cleaner. Read stories of motors getting hydrlocked from water.
Bunch of nonsense.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Bunch of nonsense.
I as well as many others have been in major downpours // no issues !!!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:08 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by akapounder
I as well as many others have been in major downpours // no issues !!!
I figure if I'm put in a situation where I feel there may be a problem sucking in water, I'll just detach the air damn from the filter and drive far enough to reattach it.

I check the weather everyday before I contemplate taking the Z out of the garage. The only thing I can think of is getting caught in a rain storm on a random road trip or some odd situation like that.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:47 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal Flyer

I'm one of those rare guys that drive through rain (and occasionally get caught in torrential downpours going cross-country); never had a problem with water intake. Installation is not easy, but if you can do it on a lift it's less painful!. Vararam + Power Duct + Headers took my stock 01 to 357hp and 367 torque on the dyno. Throw in 411 gears and you've got a car that's really fun to drive! Good luck!
My 04 came with the VR and I have also been out in some bad south TX . rain storms ,I had no prop. driving . Not sure deep standing water would work with the VR . Light build LS-6 450 RWHP runs great. Now if I just had some traction.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 AM
00__Vette
Racer

So I installed the Vararam and I'm not sure I can tell a big difference. I have only had the chance to take it out for a quick blast.. I'm going to need to take it for a couple for spins before I can say I think its worth the effort.

If this intake does not convince me that all the hard work it took to install was worth the "seat of the pants" gains (as i'm not going to dyno it), I'm going to swap it out for probably the honker as previously suggested.

I'll post pics up very soon and a final review when I have had a little more seat time to make that judgment call.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:33 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

So I installed the Vararam and I'm not sure I can tell a big difference. I have only had the chance to take it out for a quick blast.. I'm going to need to take it for a couple for spins before I can say I think its worth the effort.

If this intake does not convince me that all the hard work it took to install was worth the "seat of the pants" gains (as i'm not going to dyno it), I'm going to swap it out for probably the honker as previously suggested.

I'll post pics up very soon and a final review when I have had a little more seat time to make that judgment call.
I'm interested to hear back. I'm on the fence between vararam, callaway honker, black wing or just sticking with my Z06 air box.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 AM
wvufan1965
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious but there is a procedure to follow for getting the most out of the intake. Its been some time since I did mine ('06) but I know VR recommends several runs to a certain RPM or MPH. best wishes
Old 10-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

That makes no sense ??? go thru all the work of installing it then take it off and cut up your shroud and install a non-ram air intake ????? Plus you have talked to Doug (ECS) and I'm sure he told you it's the only intake that you should have a tune ???
Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wvufan1965
Just curious but there is a procedure to follow for getting the most out of the intake. Its been some time since I did mine ('06) but I know VR recommends several runs to a certain RPM or MPH. best wishes
to get the most out of it is with a tune !!!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
That makes no sense ??? go thru all the work of installing it then take it off and cut up your shroud and install a non-ram air intake ????? Plus you have talked to Doug (ECS) and I'm sure he told you it's the only intake that you should have a tune ???
Totally agree with that. The car has to be run 50-100 miles after installation to get it (the computer) to function right. If you can't tell a difference after that, then something is wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To To Vararam or not? That is the question.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 PM
00__Vette
Racer

I have made about 5-6 WOT pulls from 1st to 4th and 3rd gear chirps the tires. I don't remember that happening before. I have brand new Bridgestone Potenza Sports and they are surprisingly sticky. The verdict is still out, but from the sounds of it.. I may have to put some miles on it to let the computer relearn with this new intake.

Another thing I'm not sold on is the fit and finish. The intakes left and right inlets that install over the front vents on the inside of the front facia don't really have a smooth fit. You have to work them and really finesse them to get a good fit.. but I'm not completely satisfied. Also, the VR's inlets are not closed completely so some air is going to escape instead of ram into the intake manifold. IMO, this issue is in the design as they have the round circles cut out for the coupe/conv version's fog lights.

My initial assessment may be way off, but I'm just sharing my honest thoughts thus far with my experience.

-JON-
Old 10-16-2016, 11:02 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

The only advantage RAM AIR systems can provide is when the car is moving. None of them will make much of a difference until you get beyond say 70 MPH. The tune will definitely make a difference.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
The only advantage RAM AIR systems can provide is when the car is moving. None of them will make much of a difference until you get beyond say 70 MPH. The tune will definitely make a difference.
hold your flat hand out the window at 40 mph ??????

Quick Reply: To Vararam or not? That is the question.