Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter if i run cheap tires in the front and preformance tires in the back

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does it matter if i run cheap tires in the front and preformance tires in the back

So i am getting new tires and i found a killer deal on some cheap fronts primewell valera sport AS they are firestone tires for $68 a piece they are 480 treadwear and W rated. I plan on running the indy 500 fire hawks in the back and i believe they are much softer but they dont have the treadwear listed.

Do you think there will be any issues?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by calbrit561
So i am getting new tires and i found a killer deal on some cheap fronts primewell valera sport AS they are firestone tires for $68 a piece they are 480 treadwear and W rated. I plan on running the indy 500 fire hawks in the back and i believe they are much softer but they dont have the treadwear listed.

If you have AH, that and the ABS can be affected without the correct sizes ????
Old 10-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

How do you use your car? If you expect the most in performance and handling, you should use quality tires in a matching set. If you just drive up and down the road in a straight line, it'll probably be fine, but I'd still vote against handicapping the capabilities of your car for the sake of being cheap.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:17 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Sure, run cheap tires. Add no name oils/fluids, cheap belts and replacement parts, and of course the lowest octane fuel available from the local no name gas station.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Originally Posted by akapounder
If you have AH, that and the ABS can be affected without the correct sizes ????
The tire sizes are to spec 245/45/17 for the fronts. They are just cheap fronts.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Originally Posted by Black 02
How do you use your car? If you expect the most in performance and handling, you should use quality tires in a matching set. If you just drive up and down the road in a straight line, it'll probably be fine, but I'd still vote against handicapping the capabilities of your car for the sake of being cheap.
I just do a ton of HWY driving with little to no cornering since i live in south florida. The only performance driving i do is the occasional drag night at my local strip. I dont plan on doing any road racing or autocross
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Living in FL, the #1 thing I would be looking at is Temperature and Traction ratings.
(wet traction due pop up storms)

I don't buy tires without checking here and other online review sites.
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/Tires-Rating

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-20-2016 at 12:46 PM.
calbrit561 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I just do a ton of HWY driving with little to no cornering since i live in south florida. The only performance driving i do is the occasional drag night at my local strip. I dont plan on doing any road racing or autocross
In this case, you will be fine. The only thing I suggest is looking a tire reviews since some "cheapies" have noise issues as they wear...other than that I would say you're good to go.
calbrit561 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

well, the very 1st time you decide to try and mountain carve and either keep going straight when you turn the wheel or driving in the rain and the front end wants to go wherever it feels like then you have your answer. Mismatching tires is fine if you plan on drag racing and going in a straight line in my opinion or you are on an oval track but for everyday driving you should stick with the same brand all the way around as far as tread/depth/speed rating/wear pattern.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Originally Posted by midnight01
well, the very 1st time you decide to try and mountain carve and either keep going straight when you turn the wheel or driving in the rain and the front end wants to go wherever it feels like then you have your answer. Mismatching tires is fine if you plan on drag racing and going in a straight line in my opinion or you are on an oval track but for everyday driving you should stick with the same brand all the way around as far as tread/depth/speed rating/wear pattern.
My biggest concern is driving in the rain. The cheap fronts should be better in the rain than the soft performance tires right? currently my nittos hydroplane like crazy is the reason i am asking
Old 10-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

The tire sizes are to spec 245/45/17 for the fronts. They are just cheap fronts.
he didn't say what size he was running in the back ????? or I missed something ????? He was generalizing and so was I !!!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:59 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Originally Posted by akapounder
he didn't say what size he was running in the back ????? or I missed something ????? He was generalizing and so was I !!!
Both fronts and rears are going to be stock spec. Sorry if it was unclear
Old 10-20-2016, 01:09 PM
midnight01
Pro

My biggest concern is driving in the rain. The cheap fronts should be better in the rain than the soft performance tires right? currently my nittos hydroplane like crazy is the reason i am asking
I live in Southwest Florida myself; the tires I use are pretty cheap too, they are Sumitomo HTRZ 2's. They are really good in the rain and even better on dry pavement. I paid 550.00 installed for all 4 installed in Fort myers and that includes the shipping here form the online store. Once they are hot the rear tires hook nicely but cold I can go sideways from a dead stop. I tested them a few times and they hug the road really well. The only time I ever mixed and matched tires was when I drag raced. You need a tire with the proper temp rating and wear rating for our temps here in Florida as the summers get hot and the winters are still hot but under 85 degrees.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Both fronts and rears are going to be stock spec. Sorry if it was unclear
NO Worries !!! just wanted to give that info !!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Sure, run cheap tires. Add no name oils/fluids, cheap belts and replacement parts, and of course the lowest octane fuel available from the local no name gas station.

Anybody telling you it's cool to have different ratings, manufacture, type,etc.should be on your ignore list, they aren't doing you any favors.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight01
I live in Southwest Florida myself; the tires I use are pretty cheap too, they are Sumitomo HTRZ 2's. They are really good in the rain and even better on dry pavement. I paid 550.00 installed for all 4 installed in Fort myers and that includes the shipping here form the online store. Once they are hot the rear tires hook nicely but cold I can go sideways from a dead stop. I tested them a few times and they hug the road really well. The only time I ever mixed and matched tires was when I drag raced. You need a tire with the proper temp rating and wear rating for our temps here in Florida as the summers get hot and the winters are still hot but under 85 degrees.
The Sumi's HTRZ's are low priced tires but not cheap tires....got over 46,000 miles out of my first set and on my second set.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv

Agreed. Even though a C5 is a bargain basement priced sports car, some people would still be better served with a Yugo and all that comes with it.

Shakey

Get notified of new replies

To Does it matter if i run cheap tires in the front and preformance tires in the back

Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

You're not buying his tires for him, so as long as there doesn't seem to be a problem with mismatching the front and rear, the criticism is unwarranted.

This is a public forum for the open exchange of ideas. Sometimes that comes with criticism. If one can't handle that, then the internet might not be for him/her.

Shakey
Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Just my humble opinion but I wouldnt go cheap on the only things that keep me and my car from hitting s tree. Save money elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:45 PM
midnight01
Pro

Originally Posted by runner140*
The Sumi's HTRZ's are low priced tires but not cheap tires....got over 46,000 miles out of my first set and on my second set.
Indeed, I meant cheap for the wallet but certainly not cheap in quality. I really like them and they hold really well in the rain. I do not recommend this but I did 120 and switched lanes in the rain and they held very well. This was a wide open road on an airport where if something happened I would have been safe unless of course I flipped over, then I would not have been safe but road pizza.

Quick Reply: Does it matter if i run cheap tires in the front and preformance tires in the back