Sponsored by:

Winterize the C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Dublbubl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winterize the C5

What do you do to winterize your corvette.
1- should the tank be full. Sta-bil or startron?
2- when using a cover. Windows up tight or cracked?
3- Tires off the concrete? Place carpet squares under tires?
4- battery tender. Leave on full time if it's automatic.?
5- WD-40 spray on metal motor components?
Any other good tips.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Over-inflate tires 5-10 pounds.
Staybil and Techron
Full tank
I pull battery and store in basement on tender.
Mothballs in battery compartment and under car.
Stainless steel pot scrubbers in tailpipes.
Unlatch convertible top
Treat rubber with silicone grease
Spray 303 protectant on tires, interior vinyl and seats.
Wax exterior
Cover

If your garage gets damp, it would not hurt to park it on a vapor barrier and put a tub of stay dri desecant in it.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-21-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:46 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Put the top up
The following users liked this post:
Crosis (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

At the end of the season I recommend you fill the fuel tank with ethanol free marine fuel which is available in your area. I'd also add a 20 oz can of Techron. I leave the battery in the car with a good quality tender (not the Harbor Freight $5 unit). The rest depends on whether you store in a garage or not.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

When I lived in upstate NY, to winterize I did the following:

Washed and polished
changed oil and filter
filled the tank with 93 octane
tires +5lbs
bounce dryer sheets in engine compartment and interior
steel wool in pipes covered by 'baggies' held on with rubber bands
left the battery in the car, hooked up, Battery Tender Plus hooked up
cover with CoverCraft winter cover and woke it up in the spring.

And they sat outside on blacktop. Changed the oil again in the Spring too. I know, I know.... overkill, but cheap insurance in my opinion so hold the poison darts.

I ALWAYS freekin' forgot to pull the baggies off and the steel wool out of the pipes before firing it up in the Spring. Was kind fun to see how far they shot though.

Never had an issue with this procedure
Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I "winterize"by throwing a windbreaker on. Top stays down though.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 PM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is what I am doing, and I have been storing various sports cars and sport trucks for years now

1: Wash it
2: Check the oil level
3: Pour a bottle of Techron in it and put some gas in it
4: Park it
5: Disconnect the battery
6: Go back in the spring, reconnect the battery and drive away

Have done this for years and never have had problems with any vehicles.

Mind you, this year it is going to be in a heated parking facility so I am not so worried about cold temperatures.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Dublbubl
What do you do to winterize your corvette.
1- should the tank be full. Sta-bil or startron? I use Sta-Bil in my gas tank. I wait until the tank is down to 1/4 tank or less, add Sta-Bil and then fill the tank up.
2- when using a cover. Windows up tight or cracked? I use a cover on mine during winter storage and leave the windows up.
3- Tires off the concrete? Place carpet squares under tires? I place an old piece of carpet under each tire and add some extra air pressure to the tires. Never had a problem storing the car that way.
4- battery tender. Leave on full time if it's automatic.? I leave my Battery Tender Plus connected to the battery full time during storage. Only time I take it off is if I am going to be away from home for a few days. Just do not like leaving it connected while I'm gone.
5- WD-40 spray on metal motor components? Never done that - there is not a moisture problem in my garage.
Any other good tips.
My answers are in red above.

You can also place some dryer sheets in the engine bay/interior to keep unwanted critters from taking up residence. Also, putting in some Techron concentrate along with the Sta-Bil will help keep the fuel gauge sensors clean.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Xavierbank
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
My answers are in red above.

You can also place some dryer sheets in the engine bay/interior to keep unwanted critters from taking up residence. Also, putting in some Techron concentrate along with the Sta-Bil will help keep the fuel gauge sensors clean.
Quick question, I park my vette in storage unit not heated what will happen if I leave battery connected. Will start it occasionally....
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Xavierbank
Quick question, I park my vette in storage unit not heated what will happen if I leave battery connected. Will start it occasionally....
Depends on what you mean by "start it occasionally". C-5s tend to run the battery down in 10-12 days, due to parasitic drains inherent to the various electrical components. So, unless you intend to start the car every week, or so, just leaving it then coming back in 3-4 weeks, you might find a dead battery.

My car is stored at home, but in an attached garage. I do NOT trust leaving a battery charger/tender hooked up 24/7, so once a week, usually on a day when I'm out "exercising the snowblower", I'll put the battery charger on the car for an hour or so. I start mine 2-3 times, during the winter.

Been doing it that way, with various cars, since the late 1970s......
Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Xavierbank
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Depends on what you mean by "start it occasionally". C-5s tend to run the battery down in 10-12 days, due to parasitic drains inherent to the various electrical components. So, unless you intend to start the car every week, or so, just leaving it then coming back in 3-4 weeks, you might find a dead battery.

My car is stored at home, but in an attached garage. I do NOT trust leaving a battery charger/tender hooked up 24/7, so once a week, usually on a day when I'm out "exercising the snowblower", I'll put the battery charger on the car for an hour or so. I start mine 2-3 times, during the winter.

Been doing it that way, with various cars, since the late 1970s......
will start it at least once a week, so it's cool to leave the cable on...
Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

will start it at least once a week, so it's cool to leave the cable on...
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Xavierbank
Racer

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

According to the experts, if you don't drive it for 20-30 minutes it's not a good idea to start it every week. It adds moisture to the crankcase, not to mention 90% of wear occurs during cold/dry startup. Removing the battery eliminates some potential problems.
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...e/1395911.html

Last edited by JR-01; 10-21-2016 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
calvins (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Xavierbank
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01
According to the experts, if you don't drive it for 20-30 minutes it's not a good idea to start it every week. It adds moisture to the crankcase, not to mention 90% of wear occurs during cold/dry startup. Removing the battery eliminates some potential problems.
Ok what would be a good solution to that ???? or other alternative...
Old 10-21-2016, 09:50 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Ok what would be a good solution to that ???? or other alternative...
I don't start mine until spring. Battery is in the basement on a maintainer. Idling a car for 30 minutes once a week in the winter does more harm than good according to hardcore car collectors.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I do the following.

1. Change oil at the end of October/Beginning of November
2. Wash the car at the end of October/Beginning of November
3. Drive it around until we're about to have our first snowfall or I've about used a tank of gas then I'll put a can of seafoam in and fill up my tank (I always have less than 1/2 a tank at this point).
4. I remove the battery and store it in the basement. I put a charger on it once every two weeks or month.
5. In spring I'll put the battery back in and drive like normal.

I don't over inflate my tires (I have run flats and never had any flat spots) and I do drive it once or twice during the winter if we haven't gotten any snow or the roads are clear. I also normally store from November-March/April.

One thing I will not do is start the car and just let it idle that does more damage than good. If I'm going to start it I will be driving it to get all fluids warmed up.

Get notified of new replies

To Winterize the C5

Old 10-21-2016, 02:46 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Tough living in those northern climes. My "winterization" got done yesterday - bringing tire pressure back up to nominal after the colder weather set in. 30 had gone down to 25 all round, now back to 30. May have to do it again round Dec/Jan when temps head into the teens and below.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JR-01
But if you DON'T start it up 2-3 times during the winter, and run the heat, and the a/c, you run the risk of seals and gaskets drying out, and the valve springs sitting in one position for months.

The "moisture in the crankcase" is fixed by an oil change, when you put the car back on the road. However, since it's still a free country, you can do whatever you like. As I previously said, I've been practicing my ritual for 40 years, with no ill effects....

Last edited by leadfoot4; 10-21-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

But if you DON'T start it up 2-3 times during the winter, and run the heat, and the a/c, you run the risk of seals and gaskets drying out, and the valve springs sitting in one position for months.

The "moisture in the crankcase" is fixed by an oil change, when you put the car back on the road. However, since it's still a free country, you can do whatever you like. As I previously said, I've been practicing my ritual for 40 years, with no ill effects....
You can do what you want, but the experts don't recommend starting and idling for a half hour every week. That's 12 hours of idling every winter. That moisture and vapors form acid and corrosive compounds in the crankcase that eat at metals, seals and gaskets and forms sludge.
Seals and gaskets don't "dry out" sitting in a box on the shelf why would they "dry out' in the engine?. Modern seals and gaskets are a lot better now than in the old days. Not to mention most wear occurs during cold start up. I have been storing cars since 1969 and never start them in the winter. Never had an issue. Do the research and decide for yourself. I have decided for myself.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-21-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Winterize the C5