Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Coolant-Change Out?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Green Coolant-Change Out?

I have had my 2000 coupe for 5 months now and noticed in the garage a small puddle of coolant and its GREEN.
Looking at what documents that I have on the car, 4 years ago a auto place repaired/replaced the radiator and added coolant. The car itself has only gone 2500 miles in those 4 years, but it has the GREEN coolant.
It looks like the leak is either from the coolant overflow tank or one of the hoses that connects to it.
My question for you guys, should I change out the coolant to dexcool or keep the green stuff in it and if I need to change it out, what is the best way to do it?
I can purchased whatever parts I need to replace, but I am concerned about this green coolant that I keep reading about on this forum.
Thanks in advance for your input on this.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Thanks 8Vette7 for your advise. I'm concerned also that when the previous auto changed over to green, if they got all of the dexcool out at that time. I have read many posts stating that mixing the two together can sludge up the cooling system.
So if I go back to dexcool, I need to make sure that I get all of the green out of it. I will purchase a new overflow tank and try that first before I buy any hoses that I might need to get if they are cracked.
Thanks again for your help
Old 10-21-2016, 02:29 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Thanks thisMSGgood4me
Old 10-21-2016, 03:02 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

You might want to consider Peak Global after you flush the green stuff. It is a modern, new and improved version of Dexcool and it's amber.

http://www.peakauto.com/products/ant...full-strength/
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would go back to Dex-Cool using the procedure 8VETTE7 described.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

A stupid question, but in order to flush the system out as much as I can, do I need to turn the heater on when the motor is running?
I have never flushed coolant out before.
Thanks again for the replys.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbgtb
A stupid question, but in order to flush the system out as much as I can, do I need to turn the heater on when the motor is running?
I have never flushed coolant out before.
Thanks again for the replys.
Don't think they is anyway to turn off heater. it is on all the time no valve like other cars
Old 10-22-2016, 09:27 AM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Thanks sirdano
Old 10-28-2016, 01:43 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

How do you guys get to the radiator drain ****? I have a set of Race Ramps and jack stands with a floor jack.
What is the easiest and best way to remove as much green coolant as possible.
I ordered a new coolant tank and tank cap and it arrived today.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:58 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

I understand trapped air, but how do you "burp" the air out?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Drain, fill with fresh water, fully warm the engine, cool and drain.

REPEAT until you have clean fresh water on the drain cycle. Mine took FOUR drain and fills for clean water. The last couple drain and fill cycles, I fill with distilled water and do two more cycles to have all distilled water in the block.

Then add what ever coolant you desire. I recommend the DEXCOOL but that NEW PEAK Coolant looks good too..

PEAK® GLOBAL LIFETIMETM Antifreeze & Coolant features a patented, advanced Organic Acid Technology (OAT) that provides guaranteed LIFETIMETM protection - for as long as you own your vehicle! Patented inhibitors provide maximum protection against damaging rust and corrosion in all automobiles and light trucks worldwide, regardless of make, model, year or original antifreeze color.

Specific benefits include:
•Provides guaranteed LIFETIMETM protection - for as long as you own your vehicle - when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed and specified maintenance followed
•Formulated for use in all American, Asian and European automobiles
•Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is Phosphate-free and Silicate-free
•Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze including green, yellow, orange, fuschsia, blue and red
•Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off
•Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

I HIGHLITED the IMPORTANT things in the description above that the OAT coolant you select needs to have!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:35 PM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Thanks 8Vette7 for your input. There was no way that my body could get underneath to the drain **** so I figured I had to raise the front to get to it. But by doing that, I wouldn't be able to get the most coolant out of it.
So I will use the Race Ramps for the front and jack up the rear with the floor jack and install jack stands.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Likely cause of the coolant leak is a crack at the base of one of the nipples on the surge tank that a hose connects to. Very common failure as these cars age. Plastic becomes brittle over time and heat cycles. Check carefully at each hose where it connects and you will find one or more that are cracked. Cannot be repaired. You need to get a replacement surge tank. Available both after market and as a Delco part.

If the coolant is 4+ years old it is about due to be changed anyway. Owners manual suggests 150,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first.

If you are going to change to the DEX Cool product you need to insure that ALL the green stuff is out of the block and radiator. Dex does NOT mix well with other coolants and can sludge up the cooling system if mixed. Draining only gets about half the coolant out since there are no block drains and only a radiator drain ****. I drain all I can from the radiator and then disconnect the lower hose at the block to get a little more out . Reconnect the lower hose and fill with distilled water. Run the car to get the T'stat to open so the coolant in the block finds its way to the radiator. Let cool and repeat that cycle 4 more times until the drained liquid is water only.

With the system drained as much as you can remove add 6 1/4 qts of full strength coolant of your choice to the system (Factory setup holds about 12.5 qts). DO NOT USE THE PREMIXED COOLANT AVAILABLE at most stores. Adding full strength will get you about a 50/50 mix. Top off if needed with distilled water. Carefully burp the cooling system to extract trapped air. Bring the level on the surge tank to the full cold mark with distilled water.
I have an '03 Z06, purchased new. I've always used the Prestone premixed Dex-Cool; never had a cooling problem. Recently, my reservoir tank cracked and a new one was installed; I used the GM premixed Dex-Cool. To get all of the old coolant out of the system, I have the dealer flush the cooling system...I don't want old coolant mixed in with the fresh stuff.

Bye the way, what do you have against premixed Dex-Cool? Other than being more expensive, it's what should have been available many decades ago instead of people mixing in tap water that has a ton of minerals.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:04 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsaengine
I understand trapped air, but how do you "burp" the air out?
again. . . burp ????
Old 10-30-2016, 09:25 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I recently purchased an 04 GTO. It too had the green coolant... Car never sees over 190-200 even in this Texas heat. It's a high miler so changing back to dex cool is not a conern. when I install a built engine I will go back to Dex Cool just because....

Get notified of new replies

To Green Coolant-Change Out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Green Coolant-Change Out?