Sponsored by:

New-ish California Smog Laws and Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default New-ish California Smog Laws and Cams

Not too long ago, CA smog laws changed. Now, any vehicle from 2000 on does not get the "sniffer" test, but is inspected visually to ensure all stock smog-related items are in place and functioning.

Does anyone know if I can now install a decent cam, yet still retain stock heads, exhaust manifolds, and smog items, and still reap some benefits, without potential headaches associated with future smog tests? FWIW, I have a Halltech Stinger air intake and Corsa Indy Pace Car exhaust installed now.

Thanks.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 11-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:18 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a mild cam (231/235 on 117LSA) and I had no problems smogging it. The smog guys were too busy drooling over the blower to notice anything else on the car.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:52 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32
I have a mild cam (231/235 on 117LSA) and I had no problems smogging it. The smog guys were too busy drooling over the blower to notice anything else on the car.
Thanks for the reply. I was kinda wondering if it no longer matters if I go with a moderately aggressive cam that previously would not have passed the sniffer test, since there is no sniffer test now. That said, is your cam of that variety, or would it have passed the sniffer, too? I'm also not sure if your cam even matters since you have a blower, too. Do you also have long-tube headers and heads, too?
Old 11-21-2016, 05:35 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

My cam is not aggressive at all....it has a mild lope and probably would have been borderline under the old smog laws. An experienced mechanic will notice it. I have CARB legal short-tube headers...Long tubes are an instant fail
Old 11-21-2016, 07:26 PM
harryk387
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I just looked up the smog laws because I didnt know about this change, and here's what it says straight from the DMV website...

"Smog inspections consist of a visual test and a machine test.
During the visual test, the inspector will check for any blue or black smoke emitting from the tailpipe. As long as there is no blue or black exhaust, the vehicle passes this part of the exam.
During the machine test, the inspector will attach vehicle components to a smog check machine and run the test for certain codes. If the vehicle components pass each code, the vehicle passes this part of the exam."

If I'm understanding this correctly, if there's no blue or black exhaust being emitted from the tailpipes, it passes the visual inspection.

Based off that, long tube headers would pass as long as there's no blue or black exhaust?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by harryk387
I just looked up the smog laws because I didnt know about this change, and here's what it says straight from the DMV website...

"Smog inspections consist of a visual test and a machine test.
During the visual test, the inspector will check for any blue or black smoke emitting from the tailpipe. As long as there is no blue or black exhaust, the vehicle passes this part of the exam.
During the machine test, the inspector will attach vehicle components to a smog check machine and run the test for certain codes. If the vehicle components pass each code, the vehicle passes this part of the exam."

If I'm understanding this correctly, if there's no blue or black exhaust being emitted from the tailpipes, it passes the visual inspection.

Based off that, long tube headers would pass as long as there's no blue or black exhaust?

nope.lt headers are still illegal.any aftermarket part that attaches to the motor has to have a carb number.no long tubes have a carb number only a couple shorty headers do.you can always try and find that blind smog tech.
the visual,they check for all smog related parts,make sure all smog related hoses are in good shape,and check for aftermarket parts.
the machine test,they scan the computer for fault codes and readiness

to me it's not worth the money or time to do a cam without first having headers and intake.without them you are choking the cam and the gains are minimal.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

one day you California guys will get there....

Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

California...

​​​​​​​You should move to a "normal" state.

Get notified of new replies

To New-ish California Smog Laws and Cams

Quick Reply: New-ish California Smog Laws and Cams