Sponsored by:

Jacking Advice "Please"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Jacking Advice "Please"

I've owned my 1999 C5 for a year now and never had to jack it up. So, here I sit wondering what Puck, Jack and proper method is there for jacking up my Vette.

I will be jacking to remove one wheel at a time. The most I will be doing is cleaning/detailing & replacing brakes.

What floor jack should I purchase??

Which Puck to use?? (What is a puck??)

Your help is truly appreciated :-)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

I use the following 2 low profile jacks; one Larin 2-ton aluminum jack and one Harbor Freight 1.5-ton aluminum jack.

I installed frame rails with built in pads from Elite Engineering:
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...nd-mtg-screws/

Here are the lifting & jacking locations:

Always use jacking pucks when lifting from the frame contact hoist locations if you don't have frame rail protection.

Jacking Pucks: https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...-jacking-pucks

Lifting without pucks. :

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 11-23-2016 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tmirisola (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:23 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by tmirisola
I've owned my 1999 C5 for a year now and never had to jack it up. So, here I sit wondering what Puck, Jack and proper method is there for jacking up my Vette.

I will be jacking to remove one wheel at a time. The most I will be doing is cleaning/detailing & replacing brakes.

I've used a regular floor jack after driving up some simple low ramps.

Then simply small pieces of 2 × 4 to fit in the jacking pockets (behind front and in in front of rear tires). Either that or the ends of the cross members.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:09 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

You should have asked me, but I guess we never talked about that.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM
mwbgtb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sent
Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I used the "make your own puck" method and made a set of jacking pucks out of trainer hockey pucks and eye hooks. What I like about the trainer pucks is they're really bright so you can see exactly where you need to put the jack and not fumble around. Only real detrimental thing about it is I ordered them online (hockey pucks aren't sold where I am) and now Dicks won't stop sending me e-mails about hockey supplies.

They work ok for home use but I wouldn't recommend using them for serious work. They will deform slightly when raised with a jack. When I had to get new tires a while back, using the pucks I removed the wheels myself and took them to the tire shop. Then with the wheels off I could do some good detail work. They also worked pretty good when I painted my calipers.

If your car is lowered or you plan to lower it you will probably need to invest in some sort of ramp setup as it's pretty difficult to get any sort of jack under the car with a jacking puck installed on a lowered car.

Ideally you would want a good slim profile jack with an adapter that allows you to lift an entire end of the car. There are a few guides online that show how to make C5 specific jacking plates so you can raise either the entire front or rear very quickly.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Red Rag Top
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Which Puck to use?? (What is a puck??) They can be found at Rock Auto for less than $9 each. Look for a URO part number 51711960752. I just purchased a set of 4 for less than $38.

Reasonably priced pucks can be found at Rock Auto for less than $9 each. Look for a URO part number 51711960752. I just purchased a set of 4 for less than $38.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:49 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rag Top
Reasonably priced pucks can be found at Rock Auto for less than $9 each. Look for a URO part number 51711960752. I just purchased a set of 4 for less than $38.
I agree,
Have used these BMW clones on two C5s. Put them in and never take them out. Can't be seen from the side and they are always there when you need them.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:21 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

You already received sound advice, but let me add another perspective just in case

Check this out for a good post on this matter. It's for a C6, but it applies the same to a C5.

A good floor jack is essential.

The ATD-7325 (same one as the Omega 29023, just under a different badge) is very well regarded here. You can see it
here here

It's been discussed in depth here.

What really separate this one from the pack, besides its extremely low profile, is its length. It allows you to reach the front and rear crossmembers from the front and rear end of the car respectively, in order to raise the whole axle. It can also accommodate a cross beam adapter like the one Summit offers, allowing you to touch only the preferred jacking points.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:15 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I bought two Pittsburgh long neck low profile jacks and have been loving life for the past year. Using the standard homemade pucks, these jacks even slide under my coilover lowered C5 with ease.

I've spent countless hours under the car using these jacks. Having two makes life super easy on the C5.

$139
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html

Here I have them supporting the car way high while changing out fuel tanks.

I also recommend the $10 faux floor panels for: Cushioning, Insulation, Spill Control, but most especially because they are really easy to slide in and out from under the car on. I've never been a fan of creepers.

Last edited by Tusc; 11-26-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Heading to Harbor Freight this morning to pick up a
1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump® :-)

I purchased a set of four Pucks from West Coast Corvette for $39 with free 2 day shipping through Amazon.

I will be detailing the inside of those rims mid week in prep for a show.

Thanks Corvette Forum :-)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had the HF 1.5t al jack for over 6 yrs and it has worked great, especially at the track due to its lightweight. But if you use it a lot in your garage, the 3t steel low profile is only ~$25 more and handles the vette with less stress. Sometimes I lift one side from where the center support meets the side frame rails and the 3t steel lifts with no problem. It is not very portable though. HTH.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking Advice "Please"

Quick Reply: Jacking Advice "Please"