Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who still drives their C5 in the winter when there isn't bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:12 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
Sometimes it gets a little tiresome of the issue of Winter, we live where we live simple as that. While we deal with winter in the north, some of you deal with floods, hurricanes, extreme heat,dust storms and what have you. I consider the Vette along with Golf, put them away in winter and can't to get them out in the Spring, it's always nice to have something to look forward to !!
So true. Makes us really appreciate spring, summer and fall.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:13 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun
Here in western pa they put so much gravel on the roads for traction I don't want my paint to take the beating. Other than that I would probably be daily driving it all winter long.
How true. When in my 20's I had a 68 coupe in Erie, Pa. and it was my only car. So, I put a set of studded snow tires on it and drove it. Even though low, it would go places my wife's Impala would not. I was amazed Got rear ended the next summer and traded what was left of it on a 4WD plow and winch equipped Power Wagon.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in UK, we invented rain!! lol

I do use mine all year round, as long as its a clear day, and free of snow and ice.. jet wash it down before putting away.. bit careful in winter for traction.. but I bought car to enjoy it.. and I often go out for an hour or two when I can.... really lifts your mood on a crappy day!!
don't believe in taking off the road completely and using for part of the year...

Last edited by Brit dex; 11-26-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Sometimes it gets a little tiresome of the issue of Winter, we live where we live simple as that. While we deal with winter in the north, some of you deal with floods, hurricanes, extreme heat,dust storms and what have you. I consider the Vette along with Golf, put them away in winter and can't wait to get them out in the Spring, it's always nice to have something to look forward to !!

I've never understood people that brag about not knowing what winter storage is when this subject is brought up. Without looking, I'm sure the title was referring to people that put away their cars but might think about the odd venture on a nice day.

I doubt owners in Florida or California were his/her concern.

I'll have to check but I don't think threads about the flooding south of me a couple of months back had me bragging about how dry it was here.

Same goes for the "it won't melt" comments. Nice weather only owners are constantly sneered at by the daily driver.....drive it like ya stole it... I bought it to drive it crowd.

We bought, appreciate and drive our cars for varying reasons. Group hug, enjoy your weekend!!

The following users liked this post:
Pounder (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson

I've never understood people that brag about not knowing what winter storage is when this subject is brought up. Without looking, I'm sure the title was referring to people that put away their cars but might think about the odd venture on a nice day.

I'll have to check but I don't think threads about the flooding south of me a couple of months back had me bragging about how dry it was here.

Same goes for the "it won't melt" comments. Nice weather only owners are constantly sneered at by the daily driver.....drive it like ya stole it... I bought it to drive it crowd.

We bought, appreciate and drive our cars for varying reasons. Group hug, enjoy your weekend!!

Well said !!! another point is you drive your Vette all year for a couple thousand miles while I put on at least 7500 every summer, we all enjoy our cars in our own way !!!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Sometimes it gets a little tiresome of the issue of Winter, we live where we live simple as that. While we deal with winter in the north, some of you deal with floods, hurricanes, extreme heat,dust storms and what have you. I consider the Vette along with Golf, put them away in winter and can't wait to get them out in the Spring, it's always nice to have something to look forward to !!

Well it was said neither to brag nor to say one locale was better than another. It was said it jest and should have been obvious. But if not, I apologize to anyone offended. So enjoy where you live and follow your own routine for storing and driving your ‘vette.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just my file photos of things you may see in winter ...
Attached Images    
Pounder (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Well it was said neither to brag nor to say one locale was better than another. It was said it jest and should have been obvious. But if not, I apologize to anyone offended. So enjoy where you live and follow your own routine for storing and driving your ‘vette.
I think while yours was said in jest (I figured it was) sometimes it seems different. Like Murray said when we talk the hazards in some parts, most don't come back with it's really nice in my State !! I am very Thankful we have our Vettes !!!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I was not referring to any one post in particular, just the over all theme in general... no offense
Old 11-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
just my file photos of things you may see in winter ...
Brrrr! She looks cold
Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JR-01
So true. Makes us really appreciate spring, summer and fall.

I had eight years of the new to me feeling every April when I could take my Vert Z28 out. This last spring it stopped, that's when I knew I needed something different.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have a number of reasons for not driving mine.

1: I don't need to.
2: It's illegal to drive during winter months with summer tires. And I'm not buying extra tires and swapping them every couple months.
3: Salt and Calcium getting all over the aluminum suspension parts plays hell with corroding them.
4: It's overpowered for cold roads. I have a hard enough time keeping traction when it's warm and dry.
5: Snow on the roads is mixed with salt and stones (limestone) so that's hard on the paint. I have enough trouble with stone chips as is. I don't need every single car I drive past to add more.
6: I'm not so anxious to drive my car that I wish to do so in bad weather. Even just when cold, it just isn't fun imo.
7: Absence makes the heart fonder.

I'm sure if I thought about it longer I could come up with more.
Pounder (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I have a number of reasons for not driving mine.

1: I don't need to.
2: It's illegal to drive during winter months with summer tires. And I'm not buying extra tires and swapping them every couple months.
3: Salt and Calcium getting all over the aluminum suspension parts plays hell with corroding them.
4: It's overpowered for cold roads. I have a hard enough time keeping traction when it's warm and dry.
5: Snow on the roads is mixed with salt and stones (limestone) so that's hard on the paint. I have enough trouble with stone chips as is. I don't need every single car I drive past to add more.
6: I'm not so anxious to drive my car that I wish to do so in bad weather. Even just when cold, it just isn't fun imo.
7: Absence makes the heart fonder.

I'm sure if I thought about it longer I could come up with more.
All valid points. I would have stopped at your first one
Pounder (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 01:17 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

All valid points. I would have stopped at your first one
Well, #2 is not just the law, it's a great idea!

^^^^^ If I ever see a Red C6 vert stuck in the snow, I'm stopping to help.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:19 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

Having not much mechanical knowledge, I smartly rely on those that do. I have been told from those that do that by not driving a car for long periods of time (over 3 months) will increase the wear more than normal driving. So I drive in the winter but not in snow, ice, or when salt is on the roads. Since I am in my 70’s, I am not willing to put the car in storage and not drive this amazing car.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:23 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Having not much mechanical knowledge, I smartly rely on those that do. I have been told from those that do that by not driving a car for long periods of time (over 3 months) will increase the wear more than normal driving. So I drive in the winter but not in snow, ice, or when salt is on the roads. Since I am in my 70’s, I am not willing to put the car in storage and not drive this amazing car.
They were lying to you. Museum cars don't catch a lot of wear, just sayin.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

A car sitting for 4 months....no

A car sitting for 4 years.... yes

Get notified of new replies

To Who still drives their C5 in the winter when there isn't bad weather?

Old 11-26-2016, 01:58 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
They were lying to you. Museum cars don't catch a lot of wear, just sayin.
OK, what are your credentials? Just asking. But whatever is correct, I rater being driving then looking at it in a garage. Just saying.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:42 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

We all have our own prospective i daily drive a 2015 Mazda 6 grand touring. I could have bought 3 of my c5s for what my Mazda cost but the c5 gets locked up for the winter. You treat a tool different than a toy that is just the way it is.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:47 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

OK, what are your credentials? Just asking. But whatever is correct, I rater being driving then looking at it in a garage. Just saying.
Lmfao, my credentials? My credentials are I have a little common sense. Here's how this works. Driving cars wears them out, not driving them doesn't. Many years ago it was true that letting a car sit on tires for years on end would flat spot them. In my experience nowadays (and yes, I have a car I have not driven since 2013, and only once since 2011) that is not the case. After driving it for about 1 mile, the flat spots are gone and the tire regains its shape again. That's about all the 'wear' I've ever seen happen to a car while sitting. I suppose you could also say that dirt on the paint for many years could cause the paint to deteriorate, but that's easy enough to fix. Put a cover on it.

Now, I'm all for you driving your car. By all means go have at it, and if it gives you pleasure, that just tickles the chit outa me.

But, I'm sorry, I'm not going to be told that storing a car is hard on it, not even on a Saturday.

Quick Reply: Who still drives their C5 in the winter when there isn't bad weather?