Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 Handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The current crop of Corvettes was designed around LOW profile, WIDE high performance tires. These DO NOT provide good traction in the snow. Even if you bought "snow tires" in these sizes, they're still not good in snow. The snow will "push around" a wide tire, more so, that a narrow tire, that will "cut through" snow
All true, If you look at the European winter rally cars, you will see that in snow they run narrow rims with tall chunky tires. You will not find those larger diameter narrow rim/winter tire combinations anywhere on sale here.

I looked this winter to see if I could find some narrow rim 17's to use on the Subaru (needs 17's to clear the brakes) to use with high profile snows - no luck at all.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Years ago I was at an autocross and we had three inches of snow fall, after clearing a somewhat course, it was still snowing, we began to run the event. Got to love Michigan in the fall. After a disaster of a run I was warming in my trailer and happened to look at my original run flats on the tire rack. They had a M & S rating on them. Changed to the run flats and took FTD.

We had a club member who was an engineer at GM and is only car was a 2002 Z06. He daily drove it all year long and changed to Blizzak's in the winter. He would make it to the GM Tech center when many of the others in FWD cars could not.

AH/TC really makes a difference when you learn to drive with it.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:19 AM
jakecol
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Alexander K
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
All true, If you look at the European winter rally cars, you will see that in snow they run narrow rims with tall chunky tires. You will not find those larger diameter narrow rim/winter tire combinations anywhere on sale here.

I looked this winter to see if I could find some narrow rim 17's to use on the Subaru (needs 17's to clear the brakes) to use with high profile snows - no luck at all.
Are you kidding me? There is a massive selection of high profile 17 for the WS80. 205x50x50 215x60x17, 215x65x17 just to name a few.....And like ive already said im running very skinny 225, and 245s
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I prefer to use a car less valuable to me in the winter !!!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Read thread "almost crashed today"
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

If you can only have one car, and you live in a frozen tundra, a corvette ain't your car.

If you have alternate means of transportation and you still opt for driving the corvette in the snow, you sir, are an idiot.

Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.

Done and done......

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 12-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
If you can only have one car, and you live in a frozen tundra, a corvette ain't your car.

If you have alternate means of transportation and you still opt for driving the corvette in the snow, you sir, are an idiot.

Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.

Done and done......
I've done nothing wrong and you're insulting me, how pathetic. You need some cream for your butthurt.

I live in Illinois not North Dakota. There is snow on the roads possibly 15 days out of the year. YOU sir would be an idiot buying a second vehicle for the equivalent of 15 days out of the year. My fox body mustang did just fine for 4 years. Everyone was like "oh man rwd muscle car in the snow is going to be awful there's no way you can do it". I laughed and told them get better tires and learn to drive in the snow and then proceeded to daily it through 4 winters. Mind you my mustang also had 4.10 gears and no electronics.

I'll continue towing my jetskis and driving through snow in my vette and love every second of it. Its a car. I bought it to be used as a daily, autocrosser, tow rig, and winter beater, and god damn i don't think i could have chosen a better vehicle
Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alexander K
I've done nothing wrong and you're insulting me, how pathetic. You need some cream for your butthurt.

I live in Illinois not North Dakota. There is snow on the roads possibly 15 days out of the year. YOU sir would be an idiot buying a second vehicle for the equivalent of 15 days out of the year. My fox body mustang did just fine for 4 years. Everyone was like "oh man rwd muscle car in the snow is going to be awful there's no way you can do it". I laughed and told them get better tires and learn to drive in the snow and then proceeded to daily it through 4 winters. Mind you my mustang also had 4.10 gears and no electronics.

I'll continue towing my jetskis and driving through snow in my vette and love every second of it. Its a car. I bought it to be used as a daily, autocrosser, tow rig, and winter beater, and god damn i don't think i could have chosen a better vehicle
You love driving a Vette in the winter, and most would love driving a 4 wheel drive !!! One one the reasons most love a Vette is power, when you are at the bottom of a hill and can't get up to the top with 20 cars behind that can get to the top blowing their horns at you because your not a id**, that is not power, that is being completely helpless. Why don't you just tell the truth, the only reason you started this post is because you crave attention !!!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Are you kidding me? There is a massive selection of high profile 17 for the WS80. 205x50x50 215x60x17, 215x65x17 just to name a few.....And like ive already said im running very skinny 225, and 245s
High profile = 80 on narrow rims.

Last edited by jackthelad; 12-06-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM
blacktavert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have just bought a cobalt to drive in the winter, or at the dragstrip, I hear they are the faster anyways
Old 12-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

You're young and naïve. You get a pass for being such, so I'll go easy on you.

First of all, if you think a meaningless thread posted by an anonymous internet user will cause my *** to ache, even a little bit, you are very mistaken.

A corvette will tow jet skis and navigate snowy roads. Hell, it might even plow a field if you jack it up and put tractor tires on it. Does that mean it's the best choice for all of the above? If you answer yes to that question, you might be dumber than you look. But for that I will have to defer to someone who might actually know what you look like........

See, that wasn't so bad, was it?

Shakey
Old 12-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pounder
You love driving a Vette in the winter, and most would love driving a 4 wheel drive !!! One one the reasons most love a Vette is power, when you are at the bottom of a hill and can't get up to the top with 20 cars behind that can get to the top blowing their horns at you because your not a id**, that is not power, that is being completely helpless. Why don't you just tell the truth, the only reason you started this post is because you crave attention !!!
Attention, hmmm didn't think anyone would really care that much.

But maybe lets get REAL honest. Are you jaded because some 20 year old is driving your "dream car" through the snow? A vehicle you've been so proud of all these years that it just gets your panties in a knot that someone who just graduated is driving the same car and pulling jetskis and driving through the snow in it? IDK kinda seems like the theme here...
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (11-05-2021)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

How does having a high profile tire help? And at 80 you've completely removed the Bridgestone WS80, one of the highest rated snow tires, from even being an option at any size.

A 4x4 grand Cherokee only runs a 60 sidewall. 50 if you get the larger rims.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Attention, hmmm didn't think anyone would really care that much.

But maybe lets get REAL honest. Are you jaded because some 20 year old is driving your "dream car" through the snow? A vehicle you've been so proud of all these years that it just gets your panties in a knot that someone who just graduated is driving the same car and pulling jetskis and driving through the snow in it? IDK kinda seems like the theme here...
someday when and if you grow up you will understand more, unfortunately most times it only comes with age. your one of many that think you know just as much as someone much older than you !!! ps I could care less what you do with your soon to be piece of junk !!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Bingo!!!

.....A 4x4 Grand Cherokee only runs a 60 sidewall. 50 if you get the larger rims.
That's correct....My winter vehicle IS a 2015 Grand Cherokee. And believe me, if I could have gotten a narrower winter tire than the 60 series tires that are standard with this vehicle, yet still maintained the OD, I would have!!

45 years of winter driving have taught me a thing or two.....
Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Bingo!!!

That's correct....My winter vehicle IS a 2015 Grand Cherokee. And believe me, if I could have gotten a narrower winter tire than the 60 series tires that are standard with this vehicle, yet still maintained the OD, I would have!!

45 years of winter driving have taught me a thing or two.....
48 years of driving in Wisconsin winters for me. But of course the youngsters know a lot more about it than us old guys.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Handling in the snow

Old 12-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Arben72
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't rust plastic and I can't think of a better winter car, well done! I need to get a set for my c7z, one pass down my driveway and it'll make it a whole lot easier to shovel.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:51 PM
JEBmotorsport
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So much hate over driving a Corvette in the winter. And so many stupid words to the treadstarter.

I also will be driving Corvette in the ice and snow when the winter comes to us. I dont need to drive my Corvette in the winter, I just do it because I want to. If it comes to much snow, I just use one of my 2 4WD Subarus.

All cars with low profile 35-45 studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires. Almost as driving in the summer( With Subaru ) Corvette has oem dimensions on tires.

Then I am also stupid I think , but I am 50. I have also been driving some years, but I dont see why you dont can use an Corvette in the winter. Maybe I take down the top also.
The following 3 users liked this post by JEBmotorsport:
chasboy (11-05-2021), imgn tht (12-06-2016), JerriVette (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Handling in the snow