Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 Handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
JEBmotorsport
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The crashed C7 looks like to have summer tires. Here I how we that can drive a Corvette in the snow do it.

Last edited by JEBmotorsport; 12-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys think you're so smart but fail to actually give any facts or even experiences to back up your claims. The funny thing is the gentlemen who do have real world examples say it can be done just fine. The below is a real world example, if you can wrap your head around the idea of using sound facts/examples to back up your opinion.

"We had a club member who was an engineer at GM and is only car was a 2002 Z06. He daily drove it all year long and changed to Blizzak's in the winter. He would make it to the GM Tech center when many of the others in FWD cars could not." - Gordy M

I'm running very narrow 225&235 tires. That's an entire 5 inches narrower than OEM. I have enough ground clearance to manage the level of snow Illinois see. There are hardly any steep grades in Illinois. People will hit you regardless of what vehicle you are in and the price range of a c5 is below that of a new civic. How many more of your arguments to you want me to shut down or do you want to continue to be keyboard warriors?

Man I can sure see why some of the members of my local car group have been banned from this site. Narrow mindedness is a stereotype of older individuals and is very apparent among some of the members here.
The following users liked this post:
imgn tht (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by JEBmotorsport
So much hate over driving a Corvette in the winter. And so many stupid words to the treadstarter.

I also will be driving Corvette in the ice and snow when the winter comes to us. I dont need to drive my Corvette in the winter, I just do it because I want to. If it comes to much snow, I just use one of my 2 4WD Subarus.

All cars with low profile 35-45 studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires. Almost as driving in the summer( With Subaru ) Corvette has oem dimensions on tires.

Then I am also stupid I think , but I am 50. I have also been driving some years, but I dont see why you dont can use an Corvette in the winter. Maybe I take down the top also.
Hate is a strong word, you would have to do a whole lot more than drive a vette in the winter especially when I don't know someone ???
Old 12-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alexander K
You guys think you're so smart but fail to actually give any facts or even experiences to back up your claims. The funny thing is the gentlemen who do have real world examples say it can be done just fine. The below is a real world example, if you can wrap your head around the idea of using sound facts/examples to back up your opinion.

"We had a club member who was an engineer at GM and is only car was a 2002 Z06. He daily drove it all year long and changed to Blizzak's in the winter. He would make it to the GM Tech center when many of the others in FWD cars could not." - Gordy M

I'm running very narrow 225&235 tires. That's an entire 5 inches narrower than OEM. I have enough ground clearance to manage the level of snow Illinois see. There are hardly any steep grades in Illinois. People will hit you regardless of what vehicle you are in and the price range of a c5 is below that of a new civic. How many more of your arguments to you want me to shut down or do you want to continue to be keyboard warriors?

Man I can sure see why some of the members of my local car group have been banned from this site. Narrow mindedness is a stereotype of older individuals and is very apparent among some of the members here.
you have no idea what experience any of us has, your of the generation of little respect of anything let alone your elders !!
David Shiel (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Arben72
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
you have no idea what experience any of us has, your of the generation of little respect of anything let alone your elders !!
Age does not equal experience. But I did learn something from my elders, respect must be earned not given. You have no experience driving a car like this in winter but you act like an expert on it. It's a 15 year old Chevy that handles great on snow tires. Alexander seems to own his car, but you seem like the vette owns you.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Arben72
Age does not equal experience. But I did learn something from my elders, respect must be earned not given. You have no experience driving a car like this in winter but you act like an expert on it. It's a 15 year old Chevy that handles great on snow tires. Alexander seems to own his car, but you seem like the vette owns you.
your another one that has no idea what your talking about. I am 65 lived in Michigan all my life, have driven just about every vehicle you can. When I was 17 bought a 69 Camaro and just one month into the winter I knew there had to be much better cars to drive in the snow. Also I have worked on all these cars and know first hand what winter does to a vehicle !!! Have at it BOYS !!!!

Last edited by Pounder; 12-06-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Arben72
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
your another one that has no idea what your ta liking about. I am 65 lived in Michigan all my life, have driven just about every vehicle you can. When I was 17 bought a 69 Camaro and just one month into the winter I knew there had to be much better cars to drive in the snow. Also I have worked on all these cars and know first hand what winter does to a vehicle !!! Have at it BOYS !!!!
Again, you just compared a 69 camaro with terrible weight distribution and horrific tire technology with nonexistent rust proofing to a newer vette with snow tires. Of course there's better cars in the snow, there's also better cars then the vette to drive on dry roads too. Why don't you own any of those?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

The C7 looks like to have summer tires. Here I how we that can drive a Corvette in the snow do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMhKRcf8TNU
Thats NOT a C7. Take another look........

Shakey
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

The interesting thing to take away from this particular thread, is the amount of times the car will actually see snow. He's an IT guy that has the option to work from home on the days when it could really be an issue driving the Corvette. He makes a thread focused around driving in snow, but will very likely not see any. It should be titled "C5 ZO6 handling in the winter". All I'm seeing and hearing about are Vettes playing in a light dusting of snow or on plowed roads (like the red c5 above). In many places in the US, studded tires aren't legal.

When most of us think about driving in the snow, we consider all the days that it dumped 6-10" (or more for those unlucky folks) over night, the plows haven't been able to keep up, and we have an hour to get ready, clear our car, our driveway, and get to work. What's that, you drive a Corvette that's a few inches off the ground?

There are a million examples, and many reasons why there are better choices. If it only snows 15 days a year, and 3-5 of those times really screw you over...you'll start singing a different tune. Convenience is a very nice thing, being late for work and being stranded are not. It's basic common sense, maturity, and responsibility. It's about not having that thing you really want until it's a good idea and you have all your bases covered. You don't just do things because you can. The one time it goes wrong, it could go wrong very badly...

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-06-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM
JEBmotorsport
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Thats NOT a C7. Take another look........

Shakey
The car in post number 40 is an C7, never meant the car in video. The C6 in the video has wintertires.

Last edited by JEBmotorsport; 12-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

The car in post number 40 is an C7, never meant the car in video. The C6 in the video has wintertires.
gotcha
Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

What is going on with you guys lately. Its an old chevy, I drove mine two years ago in the snow with new-ish continental summer tires and it was far better than my dads old 91 honda accord.

Here in NC we don't get near enough bad weather to justify a second "Winter vehicle" and the snow never piles up high enough to where the c5 is unable to drive.

I now have a 4X4 truck that I could drive in if it snowed, but I'm in the process of selling that probably before the next time we see snow. Lighten up guys, enjoy the free information and if it worries you so much, then be glad you don't have to subject your chevy to the winters.
imgn tht (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:42 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
see that **** tire

that's what wrecked the car

the difference between a summer or even all season and dedicated winter tire is night and day. the car goes from terrifying to wow this isn't bad

i actually did a snow rally in a FWD car with a limited slip and w300 snow race tires. i kid you not i was able to carry speeds of 65-85mph on packed snow and ice and have great control of the car with predictable drifting. granted FWD is an advantage over RWD in snow but the traction....it was night and day. the same car would have been a death trap on regular street tires

Last edited by racebum; 12-06-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

......Here I how we that can drive a Corvette in the snow do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMhKRcf8TNU
There's NOT a lot of snow on that road, and those two guys are PURPOSELY trying to slide around, on a road that THEY are the only two on. Try to drive a Corvette in 4-5" of snow, when there are also dozens of other cars out there......
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

This picture says absolutely nothing. Oh no a wrecked C7 with snow on the ground, must be because it is a corvette in winter. Probably a young inexperienced kid right guys? Or if only they had taken their 4x4 this wouldn't have happened.

We could all post pictures of all sorts of cars damaged in the winter. There is zero context here, just poor assumptions and ignorant attitudes. The comments being made by you older "experienced" drivers are so ridiculous and only make you sound ignorant and close minded.

I'm not saying I agree 100% with the OP, but geezus guys lighten up and move on if you don't like it. I too live in IL, in fact not far from the OP (though I don't know him). I won't drive mine in the snow but in the WINTER sure. Based on the details provided the OP has planned out tires accordingly, can choose to stay home if bad enough to be a plow, and provided other accounts of those successfully doing this. Those opposed just turn up your noses and spout off how you are apparently superior than the OP because of being older and wiser. And all good if you just left it at that, but it had to go a personal "you're an idiot" level. I guess experience can make you a better driver, but not a better person.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

Well, if it snows down here in NC this year............ I'll let you know.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
This picture says absolutely nothing. Oh no a wrecked C7 with snow on the ground, must be because it is a corvette in winter. Probably a young inexperienced kid right guys? Or if only they had taken their 4x4 this wouldn't have happened.

We could all post pictures of all sorts of cars damaged in the winter. There is zero context here, just poor assumptions and ignorant attitudes. The comments being made by you older "experienced" drivers are so ridiculous and only make you sound ignorant and close minded.

I'm not saying I agree 100% with the OP, but geezus guys lighten up and move on if you don't like it. I too live in IL, in fact not far from the OP (though I don't know him). I won't drive mine in the snow but in the WINTER sure. Based on the details provided the OP has planned out tires accordingly, can choose to stay home if bad enough to be a plow, and provided other accounts of those successfully doing this. Those opposed just turn up your noses and spout off how you are apparently superior than the OP because of being older and wiser. And all good if you just left it at that, but it had to go a personal "you're an idiot" level. I guess experience can make you a better driver, but not a better person.
It just shows that some people have to learn things the hard way. In this part of the country you will not see any Corvettes driving in the snow. We know what the ditch can do to low slung cars and don't want the mark on the carfax when we go to sell it. We know what salt does to the the metallic parts of a car, the electrical connections and grounds. We also know that Corvettes were not designed to drive in ice and snow. They are sports cars. The C1, C2 and C3s that were driven in winter no longer exist. Their frames and inner structures rusted away. I have been driving in Wisconsin winters since 1969 and have driven dozens of different vehicles. I would not drive a C5 in winter. The car means too much to me.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Handling in the snow

Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

It just shows that some people have to learn things the hard way. In this part of the country you will not see any Corvettes driving in the snow. We know what the ditch can do to low slung cars and don't want the mark on the carfax when we go to sell it. We know what salt does to the the metallic parts of a car, the electrical connections and grounds. We also know that Corvettes were not designed to drive in ice and snow. They are sports cars. The C1, C2 and C3s that were driven in winter no longer exist. Their frames and inner structures rusted away. I have been driving in Wisconsin winters since 1969 and have driven dozens of different vehicles. I would not drive a C5 in winter. The car means too much to me.
Amen !!! to some it's just a car, some it's much more, You put a thread like this here and you expected something different ? Who is in the minority here I wonder ??
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I hail from the Great White North...right now it is -30C and blowing hard. I just have to say I think you are crazy....ha ha hahahhhhhhhahah!!! Don't forget to post (probably from your hospital bed) how it was a real bad idea. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Being in construction I'd appreciate someone starting a thread on the uselessness of owning a hammer if there is a slot headed screwdriver in your tool box.

hey neighbor!!!

Last edited by Murray Anderson; 12-06-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Handling in the snow