Sponsored by:

What is the attraction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
Insurance can also be a hurdle for younger buyers.
Insurance on my C5 is less than insurance on my Cobalt. I never understood how that is possible, but yeah.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 PM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

27 yr old non-white guy here. Love my C5, just don't post a lot. I'm glad that older demographic owns C5s though, makes my insurance cheap!
The following users liked this post:
friou (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
I noticed in the thread where people are pictured with their Corvette, most of the guys are in their 50's and above.
Secondly, most appear to be overweight.
Hey, I resemble that, Bob.

friou (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
What he said......

Oh... I also don't fit your demographic.....
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM
NSBC5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it was economics. In 1979, I was a freshly minted second lieutenant and assigned to FT Huachuca, AZ. I clearly recall two student officers who bought new Corvettes and a third who bought a Nissan 260Z. I traded my 1972 Nova which served me through college for a 1971 small block powered Camaro. For pennies on the dollar I built a street racer that out performed the C4 in every respect...except the babe factor. I went to Tucson on weekends while they stayed at the BOQ washing and waxing their cars because they were tapped out. 5 years ago I promised my family no more hot rodding. I bought a 2000 FRC. $8000 and it is almost as quick as anything I have ever built and has a higher top end, not to mention it gets phenomenal gas mileage and handles nicely. I can afford a new C7s but it does not make economic sense to me. I turn 60 in February and weigh within 10 lbs of my weight when at my physical best in my early 30's.

Last edited by NSBC5; 12-05-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Skipped something
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've been driving sports cars and fast cars for my entire life. I had a 14 second '60 Beetle in the early 70's,was my first car, all sorts of modified VW's after, Sciroccos, 911SC, then a '37 Chevy street rod, '57 Nomad, Lambo Espada, then Vettes, so this isn't my first venture in performance and custom cars. I'm older and still not too fat, 185 lbs, even though heavier than I'd like to be. If I appear to fit a stereotype to some then so be it. Cars have been in my entire life even though now I have a Vette. I forgot there have also been bikes, Harleys and my first bike, a Honda CB750K1 four, which I still have.

Last edited by striper; 12-05-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: missing word
Pounder (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey OP, what is your excuse for owning a Corvette (if you have one)? Are you fat and old? If so then you already know the answer to your silly question~!!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
I noticed in the thread where people are pictured with their Corvette, most of the guys are in their 50's and above.
Secondly, most appear to be overweight.

What is it about these Corvettes that appeal to this demographic?
Hardly any young, fit guys own corvettes, why is that?
What is it about these Corvettes that young people are just not interested in them?

It seems, judging by the pics in that thread, that the Corvette has taken the place of the Buick, and Oldsmobile as being an older mans car.
When I was young, my dad had both Buicks, and Oldsmobiles, as did many older guys.
Just wondering why older, heavy set guys opt for a Corvette.

Bob.
You ever take a look at the average Hog owner? Makes us C5 owners look positively suave and debonair.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackthelad:
1Willy1 (12-06-2016), friou (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Pretty much the majority of vette owners are older as they generally are second cars; and although 'cheap'; they are old enough to not finance well and 15-20k is still a decent chunk
of change. Figure in the idea you can certainly finance an equally or better performing car that can be used 365 ~ Wrx per say, you write the c5 off.

Also, despite the 100s of c5 is better than 'x' threads on here daily; they are also old and outdated. I don't care how you slice it. It's 90s styling, electronics, and build quality. I was born in 1983. I was 14 when the c5 came out. Clearly it wasn't designed to appeal to a 15yr old kid. I had F40 posters on my wall. No, by the time I could even THINK about driving a corvette, the c6 was out.

There are WAY more young people with c6s. Not much on these forums, but locally - it's all you see with vettes. Or the successful few with a c7. Random c5z's litter in. I'm the only person I know locally with a coupe and I'll be damned if I see a vert outside of the Internet and senior citizens getting gas.

So anyhow. Old fat white guys. Well, they have the money and the c5 was appealing to them when THEY had the money and really lusted after one. The Corvette has always been a trophy to the middle class working man. Demographically from people born @ 1950, that places the majority being white. As for weight, yeah it most certainly happens with age. I'm not the smallest person at 33; it's always been something I fought with, but I can only imagine how fun it won't be at 60+. Still, many seem to be in fair shape.

Cliffs- the cars are old, appeal to older people, carry an older stereotype because of it, and are still expensive for a toy. 90% want to go straight really fast anymore, and a vette is a pretty expensive way to try and do it. 'Pony cars' have always been the choice of the younger hotrodder - it's never changed. Corvettes are always 'the man'. They are status cars, and IMO they lost their souls a bit through the 70s-90s.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Also, I own two.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast

Also, despite the 100s of c5 is better than 'x' threads on here daily; they are also old and outdated. I don't care how you slice it. It's 90s styling, electronics, and build quality. I was born in 1983. I was 14 when the c5 came out. Clearly it wasn't designed to appeal to a 15yr old kid. I had F40 posters on my wall. No, by the time I could even THINK about driving a corvette, the c6 was out.

There are WAY more young people with c6s. Not much on these forums, but locally - it's all you see with vettes. Or the successful few with a c7. Random c5z's litter in. I'm the only person I know locally with a coupe and I'll be damned if I see a vert outside of the Internet and senior citizens getting gas.
I agree with much of what you said, but not in regards to some things said about the C5. Are C5s old? Well, are Grand Nationals "old"? Are Supras with 2JZs "old"? Last I checked, they stopped making the Supra before the C5.

Are the C5s outdated? No. I believe the C5 is the only car ever to include an in-dash diagnostic with codes available. Revolutionary then, revolutionary now. The Active Handling is still to this day one of the best electronic driver-assist systems available.

The electronics are excellent as far as capability, burning will admit the electronics in a C5 can be finnicky and a PITA at times. Build quality for the mechanicals of the car is phenominal. The interior plastic is just that...cheap plastic. But most people dont buy a Corvette for it's luxurious interior and "supple" leather.

You're dead wrong on the "90s styling" comment. I bought my 2000 this summer. My extended family refused to believe it was a 2000 until I showed them paperwork. They were convinced I was wrong and it was a 2010. When I drive it around town, non car people always ask about age...they are always perplexed when I tell them it's 16 years old. They are usually stunned.

Alot of the younger generation (I'm your age) dreamed about Corvettes growing up. I had a Ferrari F40 poster on my wall...right next to a poster of a C5. The younger generation are getting C6s often (or so it seems), but they truly can't afford them as the C6 people I know keep selling their C6 after marriage because "money is tight" I compromised with my girlfriend...C5 since its cheaper than C6, but she agreed to never ask me to get rid of it. I'd rather have a C5 I can afford and keep forever than a C6 I truly can't afford that I have to get rid of after getting married and buying a new Civic, Corolla, Camry, or Malibu. Sorry...The C5 is just too much fun.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

I'm not saying it's not fun, nor is it a bad car, or not capable.

But it's old.

I don't care if your family thinks it's new. All of those cars are old. Cut it any way you want it's a 1995 design. Having a cheap interior doesn't make it newer and it doesn't help to justify younger kids spending their money on one. It's not like you can't rip every last bit of info to display on a newer one with today's OBD tech.

The c7 is targeted for the younger audience. They will never afford it; well some can, but not many. It's chock full of infotainment, more cutting edge lines (subjectivity aside, it's no doubt the more modern vehicle when shown). The expectations are met on the interior.

MKIV supras are old. They are dlappadating and you can't get parts easily. Want a nice one? It's 40-60k. Their demand due to rarity is totally different. They made enough c5s to where nobody cares. Same with the GN. Ever sit in a GN? I have zero desire to own one. It's a grandma car that runs good and looks great from outside. But it's a plush boring couch from within.

Last edited by RSbeast; 12-05-2016 at 11:08 PM.
chassed (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I "opted" for a Corvette because my dream car didn't fit me, unless I built a replica AC Cobra around my 6'5" 275 lb frame. I wanted two seats, rear drive, and finally, for once in my life.....some PONIES!!

So I'm 61 but commonly mistaken for younger and yes, I'm heavier than I want to be but I bet yer probably headed that direction at some point.

My life until ten years ago dictated I buy practical and inexpensive, so I loved that I could finally justify purchasing my '02 C5 Coupe.

Oh....and did I mention I'm A DRIVER. I spent most of my adult life as a professional driver and have done some racing.....I may be "old" but I can handle a car.

So....I don't fit in your sweeping generalization.....but then again, I do.

I'm old and overweight.......but I just might beat yer *** on the track
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

60 yo geezer here...first Corvette last year. A bit pudgy, but what Americans aren't? Interesting comment on demographics. Harley (the motorcycle co.) realized that the age group of the new bike purchasers was older, so to appeal to the younger crowd they designed the sportster. Turns out the average age increased for the sportster.

Why wait so long to purchase? Waited until I retired so I could enjoy it, and have always liked them. Vettes weren't really practical after the C1 until the C5. I didn't like the idea of not being able to reasonably overnight with them with my bride. Have you seen how much cr.. stuff a woman takes on a trip?!?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The attraction is...I love Corvettes. I've had them since I was 25 when I weighed 175 at 6'0". At 49 I'm pushing 200 lbs. I never wanted children, so the decision to always have a Vette came first. I don't take pictures by my car unless someone wants to or I just happen to be in the mood, which is a rarity, it's not in the same pathetic category as selfie's but, it's close. I bought it for ME...Not as a springboard for social prestige so I can go out on rubbernecking cruises to see how many people I can count looking at me. If that was the reason, I would have saved a little longer and gotten a great used Ferrari.

I may not be in the shape I was at 25, but, at 49 I can still fit into 34 waist slacks or jeans.

So, the attraction is on a case by case basis, kind of like the gold chains and Corvettes go hand in hand thing is blown way out of proportion. What's that word?? Oh yeah....stereotypes.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Hey OP, what is your excuse for owning a Corvette (if you have one)? Are you fat and old? If so then you already know the answer to your silly question~!!
Right on!!

Get notified of new replies

To What is the attraction?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Because older people are smarter?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When the C5 came out, yes it was probably bought by older males. Now that it has depreciated to a much more reasonable price, I see more and more younger drivers stepping up to get into one. For the money, it is quite a bargain at any age.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:51 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
Bought my 04 convertible( Magnetic red) 2-1/2 years ago.
The reason I wanted one in the first place was about five years ago, I was coming out of the grocery store, and this older gentleman had just parked his 04 torch red convertible next to my pickup.
It was definitely eye candy.
I told myself on the way home, I would get one someday.
I looked for the better part of two years before buying the one I did.

Now, I am an old man(78 coming up in January), but I am about as opposite from over weight as one can get.
I weigh 158",and I'm 5'9".
I am extremely active for a dude my age, and when it comes to working on the Vette, I can get under it with the best of them and accomplish what needs doing.
The only thing I couldn't do a few months ago was new rotors and pads, because I had shoulder surgery in July.
Normally I would have replaced them myself.
To me, age is only a number.

Now, back to the subject at hand, the Corvettes.

The seats in the Vette are comfortable, and I have no problem getting in, or out of the car, but I would think the guys weighing in access of 190# or higher would have a tough time getting in or out of their Vette.
I have a next door neighbor who weighs in at around 215#, and he had a hell of a time getting in and out one day when I offered to take him to the airport.

Someone stated people put on weight as they age.
The opposite has been the case for me.
Up until I reached my 50's, I weighed 185# for years, and started loosing it by the time I reached 60.
Any way, I appreciate all the input in this thread.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 12-06-2016 at 01:59 AM.
El original (12-06-2016)

Quick Reply: What is the attraction?