Sponsored by:

New C5 Owner, Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM
CoachPaul
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New C5 Owner, Looking for advice

So I just bought a beautiful 2002 C5, LS-1, 6 Speed with 33K on it. Mint condition. Going to keep it pretty stock. But was at a Vette toys for tots things this weekend and got the bug to make a few changes. So any advice from any of you that have been in this great hobby for a while would be appreciated:

1) Dry Cold Air Induction - Was told to add cold air induction, should be dry so as not to affect air sensors? Also needs to be CA Smog legal as I don't want to take it on and off for smog checks. So, with those things in mind, any recommendations?

2) Handling - I think it handles great but talking to vette guys this weekend, sounded like we could do a few small things to really make it handle better. By the way, doesn't have Z51 Pkg, just the "active handling". So, a guy told me, put C6-Z06 Shocks and Sway bars on it. Do they fit? Does that work? Is that a good idea or is there a simpler, better way to go.

Thanks all.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW...I'd drive it a year first. Get used to its idiosyncrasies first. Then figure out what direction you want to go. My first modification was the Double Din package that Dennis at Double D did for me. Love it. He was saying that he installed a system for someone in the SF area. They drove the car out, he installed the system, they spent a week or so touring, and overall it came in cheaper than they were quoted in a CA shop.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by lebeeby
FWIW...I'd drive it a year first. Get used to its idiosyncrasies first. Then figure out what direction you want to go.
Abskullutly...

Everyone has their own opinions on what THEY like...this is now your ride... just enjoy it for the wonderful machine it is.
If it does not live up to your expectations....well then... it's time to MOD.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tuco:
friou (12-06-2016), The Rabbi (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree with drive it for a while to see just what you might want to do to the car, if anything. Should you want to upgrade the suspension, the C6 Z06 shocks and sway bars are a good option. I have a Blackwing on my car and while it is not a cold air induction intake, it works just fine for me. A Vararam or Callaway Honker are two popular true cold air intakes that you could look at if you so desire.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

My advice is to stay away from this forum if you value your bank account. You have already started down the slippery slope from bone stock to heavily modded. There is no limit to what you can spend. Addiction is a terrible thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Koufax:
friou (12-06-2016), Vanover (12-06-2016), zeevette (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 251 Likes on 112 Posts
Oldtimer

I agree with others who said to run it for a bit before jumping in. I have an '03 coupe and I did put C6 z shocks and sways on it. It does handle the twisties better for sure. It had a Calloway Honker on it when I bought it. I did put high flow cats, an x-pipe and Z06 catback on it and had it tuned (non-dyno). I didn't go the full header route because I really wasn't going to do anything for big hp gains. After the tune the car was noticeably quicker and the throttle response is more responsive.

Is it loud? Not really but it does announce itself when you get on the throttle. But I didn't want anything ear-splitting. I'm very happy with it. If I raced I would have gone a totally different direction, but I don't so....

I also had the tuner turn off that first to fourth crap as well.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
01magnetic01
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you went to the Syndicate's/Abel toy run, sorry I missed that one.

I agree with the rest, give it some time but when you're ready you might want to go with the C6 Z51 shocks/sways if you can find them, I have the Z06 shocks and they're a bit stiff for everyday driving and the sways are overkill....IMO.

I have an AFe intake which is CARB legal and quite a bit cheaper than the Callaway unit mentioned above.

Also as mentioned be very careful with the mod bug, once bitten it can be lethal.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Yep, same as the others. Give it some time. Everybody wants to throw the entire book of mods at cars before getting use to it or even worse, learning how to drive the thing and knowing how it handles/behaves.

Congrats on the ride.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 PM
CoachPaul
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just do the blue tooth now to make the phone a little easier and use my ipod but wait on cold air intake and susp mods. By the way, not sure what guys are doing with all this HP. There was a guy at the thing I was at this weekend at about 850 horse. My car is a stock LS1, 350 horse 350 with a manual 6 speed and to me, its a fricken rocket, lol. Thanks all
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I agree with other members above, drive your new baby for awhile before jumping into the deep end of the modding pool. If you have a local vette club be sure to join up. Most clubs are very happy to see new members and a clubs collective knowledge and experience are worth their weight in gold. That knowledge and experience can save you from making expensive mistakes and give you the opportunity to socialize with corvette folks at meetings and events. Good luck with your new baby and best wishes!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 PM
CoachPaul
Advanced

One last thing, how do I add a pic of my car to my profile on this thing? Thanks all

PL
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CoachPaul
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just do the blue tooth now to make the phone a little easier and use my ipod but wait on cold air intake and susp mods. By the way, not sure what guys are doing with all this HP. There was a guy at the thing I was at this weekend at about 850 horse. My car is a stock LS1, 350 horse 350 with a manual 6 speed and to me, its a fricken rocket, lol. Thanks all
After owning the car for a while, you might learn which direction you want to go...or decide it's great as is.

Some of us have owned them a while and got the craving for power. It's never enough. There are a TON of 1/2 mile and 1 mile racing events around the country where you can tap into that power 100%. These are good times we live in!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-06-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I was in the same boat when I got mine two years ago. I went this route...

1. Bouncy stock shocks were annoying so I put Z06 shocks on, and that made a very nice improvement.

2. Chrome wheels were screaming "Old Man, Old Car" so I bought some black spiders designed for the 2009 C6 Z06. That made the car look so different, and contemporary, and uniquely mine.

3. The tiny tail pipes of the stock coupe looked and sounded too timid for such a great sports car, so I went with Corsa Pace and X Pipe, and I love love love the sound and the appearance.

4. My bose speakers took a major dump when they started crackling and rumbling, so I called Dennis at Double D a few weeks ago and got a 5 Channel Kenwood amp, Kenwood single DIN, and five JL speakers including a 10" sub, and holy crap!!! Let's just say I'm not listening to the Corsa very much anymore, but the music never stops!

So yeah. Making my C5 MY C5 has been really fun, and very rewarding.

I dont get the urge to have more power AT ALL! This car is quick as hell, and I don't really need to go faster than I should. Not ever.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

First thing I did was replace the air box, very restrictive. Anything is better than stock.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:00 PM
CoachPaul
Advanced

Those rims look amazing, especially on a Black car. Are those aftermarket or from Chevrolet?

My Blue Heaven<br/>
Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Those rims look amazing, especially on a Black car. Are those aftermarket or from Chevrolet?

My Blue Heaven<br/>
Thanks Paul. I'm glad you like them. They are reproductions I bought from West Coast Corvettes at a very reasonable price. I looked at a lot of different rims, and ultimately decided to stick with something that was designed for Corvettes. Unfortunately Chevy didn't design anything for the C5 that I loved, but these seemed like the right choice.

Your C5 is beautiful!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:54 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

One last thing, how do I add a pic of my car to my profile on this thing? Thanks all

PL
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...3_user_profile

Get notified of new replies

To New C5 Owner, Looking for advice

Old 12-07-2016, 02:48 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

So I just bought a beautiful 2002 C5, LS-1, 6 Speed with 33K on it. Mint condition. Going to keep it pretty stock. But was at a Vette toys for tots things this weekend and got the bug to make a few changes. So any advice from any of you that have been in this great hobby for a while would be appreciated:

1) Dry Cold Air Induction - Was told to add cold air induction, should be dry so as not to affect air sensors? Also needs to be CA Smog legal as I don't want to take it on and off for smog checks. So, with those things in mind, any recommendations?

2) Handling - I think it handles great but talking to vette guys this weekend, sounded like we could do a few small things to really make it handle better. By the way, doesn't have Z51 Pkg, just the "active handling". So, a guy told me, put C6-Z06 Shocks and Sway bars on it. Do they fit? Does that work? Is that a good idea or is there a simpler, better way to go.

Thanks all.
Welcome aboard
Yes......the C6Z06 shocks are a direct bolt in....just flat better.
Yes....but not the C6Z06 Sways....you want the C6 Z51 sways (with stock sized tires the C6Z06 bars arent improving the ride and will actually promote wheelspin when exiting a turn.....where the Z51 bars will be a vast improvement but not over tax the adhesion of stock sized tires)
Easy bolt on mod thats cheap and doesnt make it ride like a race car....but it rides and handles better.
You didnt mention it but while you are at it.....metal end links.....cheap but deform less than the plastic ones that are OEM.

Realx.....this mod is cheap....you have years to do way more expensive stuff
Old 12-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
My advice is to stay away from this forum if you value your bank account. You have already started down the slippery slope from bone stock to heavily modded. There is no limit to what you can spend. Addiction is a terrible thing.
I know what you are saying believe me. I'm new to these cars too and I know how I am about wanting to tinker and I'm getting the {WANTS} already. I'm looking at prices of these goodies and it sure ain't like putting an aluminum high rise and a Holley 780 on a 327 for $200 anymore is it?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm like you, I have the same package you do in a 2003. I just got it this summer and to me the power is unbelievable and I too have been wondering what the hell it's like with even just 150 or so more hp would feel like with the low end torque these things already have. This is the quickest thing I've ever driven or even ridden in. I thought my buddies new 69 Z28 with 456 gears was quick when he bought it new back then. These are a totally different animal with twice the torque of them and 2 or more times the gas mileage on top of it, they just amaze me. I'm thinking of some different air induction to maby but honestly the sound of it alone probably would probably satisfy me.

Quick Reply: New C5 Owner, Looking for advice