Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Park it. Forget it.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistance
It was a conscious decision from getting summer tires. It's a bad idea to drive them in the cold when they become stiff and non-pliable. I thought about all-seasons, but would rather not have compromised handling just so I can drive it when it gets cold here. And here in KY there are plenty of 10-20F mornings where the high for the day is in the 30s. I have another car that already has all-seasons on it, is FWD, has heated seats, and a heated steering wheel. Why put the extra wear and tear on the Vette when it will be even less enjoyable to drive and more dangerous than usual due to the summer tires in the cold? If it was my only car, I would've gone all-seasons for sure.
Guess I don't get it, another post about driving in the winter, I love my Vette for what it can and will do on dry pavement. That is why I own one and have for most of my life have loved having a Vette. Same goes for the winter I want the best performance I can get and have some kind of control over it !!(4x4 truck)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

High powered, lightweight car with less than ideal tires for the conditions, in the dark, and at present with my EBCM being out (So no ABS/TCS/AH) seems like a recipe for possible bad things - and with all that in mind, I'm just going to putting around driving it as gently as possible so it's not like I'll be enjoying the power so much as exercising lots of cautious restraint. More power to anyone who wants to take the chances, but I'd rather not

Around where I live there's been some major accident every day this week, and snow hasn't even fallen yet.
I understand wanting to be cautious, I'm just saying it's a bit extreme. My car also has no functioning stability control, hasn't for years. I disconnected the steering position sensor a couple years back when the lateral accelerometer failed and the car kept trying to randomly kill me. Never got around to replacing it since I don't really need the AH system. My car has 750hp, rolls around on R Compounds, no stability control...and does just fine even in freezing temps.

People, in general, are just silly with these things. Just use a little self control and common sense, and the car get around just fine. All you have to do is not press the gas pedal so hard.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I understand wanting to be cautious, I'm just saying it's a bit extreme. My car also has no functioning stability control, hasn't for years. I disconnected the steering position sensor a couple years back when the lateral accelerometer failed and the car kept trying to randomly kill me. Never got around to replacing it since I don't really need the AH system. My car has 750hp, rolls around on R Compounds, no stability control...and does just fine even in freezing temps.

People, in general, are just silly with these things. Just use a little self control and common sense, and the car get around just fine. All you have to do is not press the gas pedal so hard.
I hope that people relate my comments to where I live, and I love being in control and in Michigan winters it is no place for any low vehicle. Not being able to climb hills or even the snow buildup at every corner, being stuck is NOT my idea of fun !! also in the cold one little tap on the body will so much more damage than in warmer climates.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

OP I wouldn't worry that much about it. While there are some people that this happen to no matter what tires they run ... for the vast majority of us flat spotting on modern radial tires rarely happens.

Bring the tires up to 40PSI and let it sit. If you are able to .... remove the battery, bring it into the garage and hook it up to a trickle charger.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Not that flat spotting can't happen (never say never) but it's very unlikely to, especially in any permanent way. But if it was to occur (and that's a big IF), warming the tires up by driving on them for a few miles would take care of the problem.

Now having said that, if you want to virtually eliminate any chance of flat spotting, you could do two things:

1) Overinflate your tires (say by about 5 psi) and make sure they stay overinflated the entire time the car is being stored. When you can start driving it again, reduce the air pressure back to normal.

2) Put a pair of chocks behind the rear wheels (assuming the car would roll backwards on your slanted driveway) and leave the transmission in neutral and the ebrake off (some may disagree with this but there's a method to my madness, so hear me out). First of all, the chocks are going to keep the car from rolling down the driveway. Second, by leaving it in neutral with the ebrake off, you're able to move the car (without having to go to the trouble of removing the car cover during this process and then putting it back on afterwards) a few inches however often you wish (so the tires aren't sitting in the same place the entire time) by moving one chock a few inches back, have someone push the car slightly forward from the rear while you reposition the other chock the same few inches back and then let the car slowly roll back those few inches into the repositioned chocks. The tires will then sit in a different position than they were previously in. Now if you don't mind dealing with the car cover each time, then leave the transmission in gear and the ebrake on, but that's up to you.
your a Genius !!(not mocking you)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
I hope that people relate my comments to where I live, and I love being in control and in Michigan winters it is no place for any low vehicle. Not being able to climb hills or even the snow buildup at every corner, being stuck is NOT my idea of fun !! also in the cold one little tap on the body will so much more damage than in warmer climates.
I'm just talking about driving around when it's cold. People put these things away as soon as it's below 50. Just seems like overkill. I don't advocate driving Corvettes in the snow.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Vistance
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-16-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

I get that the Vette is a driveable winter vehicle, I'm not such a prude that I wouldn't consider it but one PITA thing is the filthy snow and salt that ends up on the roads. I can't easily put the hose out and rinse it off or go by the car wash (the DIY kind, not the auto ones which I know many still work in the cold), and I hate leaving the Vette dirty. My other car, I don't like it but it's more tolerable to me and I don't feel as bad doing it for awhile before I can make it to a car wash.

Winter tires seem to be a must for a RWD car if you plan to drive it through any actual snow, seems like a huge pain just to be able to safely drive the car year round. For the record though I don't mind taking the cover off it to move it but if just rolling it up or down the drive a little isn't going to do anything then I won't bother. I do like the idea of slightly over inflating the tires while it's being stored though.

I don't know what it is, maybe something in the air, but anymore I see 2-3 accidents reported in the news every day. It's normally not this bad, but anymore it's constant. Some dipstick pulled out into traffic and caused several cars to crash, some in critical condition too while the idiot who caused it is barely injured. I'm very much just a car person, but it makes me want to get a big lifted truck or something. For you older and more wise folks, have people always been this stupid at driving? I feel like the modern car that stays in the lane for you, warns of blind spots, has backup cameras, etc. has dulled everyone's senses to where they just don't even think anymore. I am always an active driver, so while I know I don't need the safety systems on the car - I do use them as tools to help myself. I do not take them for granted as some might.
VERY WELL SAID !!!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I'm just talking about driving around when it's cold. People put these things away as soon as it's below 50. Just seems like overkill. I don't advocate driving Corvettes in the snow.
It's just cheaper for me to insure it for 6 months !!! Also in late fall with where I live, the leaves are a major issue with bottom cooling !! (even with my screens) I may put many more miles on mine than most others when I can drive it !!!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:08 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

A lot depends on the type of tire.

Most of mine are fine without any flat spotting and/or if they do have some it is minor and goes away in a mile or two. My Michelin, Goodyear, Hankook, Continental,and Goodrich tires fall into this category.

I have had a couple of sets that were horrible. My Cooper Zeon 2XS flat spot overnight and if it sits for a week, it will take about 15 or 20 miles to work out the flat spot. My Sumitomo HTRZ flat spot a little after sitting for a couple weeks or so, but it works out in a couple of miles.

I did try a couple of things and what helped was to put about 5 psi more in the tires. Those Coopers still flat spot, but not quite as bad.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM
C5Bagger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only drive my Vert in nice weather as here in Maine the stuff they put on the roads is so corrosive have had to buy new brake lines on two other vehicles. My Corvette is a toy and the soft compound tires are a joke in cold weather if they aren't warmed up a few miles. Never had a flat spot but always garaged.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've parked my C5Z for the winter in the drive as it's not getting over 50F anymore and I've put the cover on it. However, my drive really sucks and is sloped in the back where I stored it (this is the only part behind a fence, and I do feel comfortable with it being here as it's out of sight). I'm concerned about getting flatspots on my nice new tires. My thought was to go out every few weeks and move the car up or down the drive so it's not just sitting in the same spot for a lengthy period of time. Is this enough to prevent flatspots or do I need to actually drive it? I can possibly arrange that, it's just going to make it much more of a PITA - and I'll be driving around in 20-30F weather on summer tires, but I can manage by just staying on side streets and leaving a wide berth.

I wish I could put the car on jackstands, but with the sloped driveway I think that's a bad idea. I thought about those flatstoppers from Race Ramps, but they say it needs to be on level ground so I don't think those will help me either (and they're not cheap).

Any other suggestions to help the car out being stored for awhile on a sloped drive? I could put it on the flat part, but then it would need to be in the front and it wouldn't be behind the fence. I had considered previously as some might remember, offsite storage. However I read something about the exact place I was going to use being robbed and someone had their classic race car stolen and they found the car after they already took off a ton of parts. So that idea is a 100% no go now, car is safer in my drive where I can watch it.

Forget flat spots. Worry about water collecting in the rear end if the back of the car is above the front. The drains are at the rear of the car. Unless your cover is waterproof.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default impossible in winter

The winters are so harsh up North, and they put so much grit and salt on the roads, that after the first snow I put my car up on cinderblocks (cold detached garage) and put the tires in the basement in a cool dark corner. Some say relax the tires by letting some air out, which seems like a good idea. The constant freeze thaw outside will harden the tires and reduce grip if left out. I'm not willing to sandblast the car by driving through all that crap, and it's annoying to listen to knowing all the damage going on. I drove mid 60s Corvettes all winter as a kid, never even bought snows, bet they all needed frames replaced. This z06 will NEVER see salt or grit.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
The winters are so harsh up North, and they put so much grit and salt on the roads, that after the first snow I put my car up on cinderblocks (cold detached garage) and put the tires in the basement in a cool dark corner. Some say relax the tires by letting some air out, which seems like a good idea. The constant freeze thaw outside will harden the tires and reduce grip if left out. I'm not willing to sandblast the car by driving through all that crap, and it's annoying to listen to knowing all the damage going on. I drove mid 60s Corvettes all winter as a kid, never even bought snows, bet they all needed frames replaced. This z06 will NEVER see salt or grit.
Never use cinder blocks to support a vehicle!

Cinder blocks aren't designed to take the concentrated load that vehicle would impose on them, and can shatter without warning! Use jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 PM
apex26
Racer

Default disagree

Originally Posted by JR-01
Never use cinder blocks to support a vehicle!

Cinder blocks aren't designed to take the concentrated load that vehicle would impose on them, and can shatter without warning! Use jack stands.
Load bearing cinderblocks are rated to hold up 3,500 lbs PER SQUARE INCH! Buildings don't collapse spontaneously because cinderblocks "shatter". The OP is on a sloped driveway, and a cinderblock is infinitely safer than a tippy jackstand. I've been using them for about 45 years and am very confident of their overrating, especially vs some probably Chinese product. You merely put a piece of wood between the block and the frame.

Last edited by apex26; 12-11-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Load bearing cinderblocks are rated to hold up 3,500 lbs PER SQUARE INCH! Buildings don't collapse spontaneously because cinderblocks "shatter". The OP is on a sloped driveway, and a cinderblock is infinitely safer than a tippy jackstand. I've been using them for about 45 years and am very confident of their overrating, especially vs some probably Chinese product. You merely put a piece of wood between the block and the frame.
blocks are used in conjunction with one another as a building wall, they are used as a bridge one is not as strong as five laded overlapping one another, with metal rebar every third layer. you have been lucky, in my lifetime I have heard of more than a handful that lost their life because they (blocks) crumbled.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing on a sloped drive

Old 12-12-2016, 07:04 AM
apex26
Racer

Originally Posted by Pounder
blocks are used in conjunction with one another as a building wall, they are used as a bridge one is not as strong as five laded overlapping one another, with metal rebar every third layer. you have been lucky, in my lifetime I have heard of more than a handful that lost their life because they (blocks) crumbled.
Do what you will with this thread, I'm outta here. I'll go on being "lucky" knowing that I'm using less than ONE PERCENT of my 12 inch blocks rated capacity, and enjoy an extremely stable arrangement so like when I was torqueing the damper bolt sliding on the floor from the force the car was rock solid.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Just trying to save your life. 40 years ago a friend of mine was crushed when a cinder block crumbled under his car.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

At a little over a buck a piece cinder blocks are what they are. Better hope you get a good batch without any flaws or hidden cracks. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Storing on a sloped drive