Sponsored by:

Borla Stingers question/issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:18 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Borla Stingers question/issue?

Just had them installed on my C5 z06 along with an X pipe. At a specific RPM range(not sure what range, need to look)), I get a "buzzing" noise inside the cabin, almost as if the exhaust is vibrating/hitting somewhere. It's not drone. Could this be normal interior resonance?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 Z-oh-6
Just had them installed on my C5 z06 along with an X pipe. At a specific RPM range(not sure what range, need to look)), I get a "buzzing" noise inside the cabin, almost as if the exhaust is vibrating/hitting somewhere. It's not drone. Could this be normal interior resonance?

Thanks
just curious if this occurs as the RPMs pass that point on up-shifts. I have a similar problem on my 09 silverado with GMPP Borla muffler. The stingers on my 02 don't have the issue you describe.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 AM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

After a closer look, it happens between 2-3K RPM's when hitting the gas(in gear). Definitely sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. I think something needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by 03 Z-oh-6; 12-09-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Check for alignment of the xpipe near the gas tank metal heat shields. My XS Power xpipe was a bit closer to the drivers side than the passenger side and it would put off a slight buzzing vibration at a certain RPM as well. I had to do some fine tuning of the install and push the heat shield out of the way a bit.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-06-2017)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 AM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 Z-oh-6

Thanks
I have Borla S-Type II mufflers on my '01 coupe and have the same problem. Around 2.5k RPM when the car is warmed up there is a buzzing coming from the drivers side that is definitely resonance related. I have not been able to eliminate it or pin point it. At first I thought it was the heat shields, and it still may be, but I tried bending them and contorting them such they they held a different shape with no luck.

Sub'd for solution.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stingers and X-pipe on mine and never an issue.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 AM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by msupc
I have Borla S-Type II mufflers on my '01 coupe and have the same problem. Around 2.5k RPM when the car is warmed up there is a buzzing coming from the drivers side that is definitely resonance related. I have not been able to eliminate it or pin point it. At first I thought it was the heat shields, and it still may be, but I tried bending them and contorting them such they they held a different shape with no luck.

Sub'd for solution.
Put the car on the rack at the muffler shop. Without a doubt, everything is clear as far as fitment. I did not have this problem with the stock Ti. With the increased volume, it seems like it triggering some buzzing within the interior panel on the passenger side. That's my guess, but not sure by any means. It's annoying. I'm having coilovers installed on Thursday at a Vette shop, I will ask his opinion on a test drive.

Last edited by 03 Z-oh-6; 12-10-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Buzzing

Apologies for waking an old thread, but was there any conclusion to this? I'm having exactly the same issue, C5 coupe with Borla S-Type II, loud resonating / buzzing noise between 2.5k and 3k rpm. Really annoying, and quote vocal outside the car too. It sounds metallic, so I'm wondering whether it's the Borla muffler itself. I also checked heat shields and there's plenty of clearance there.

I'm going to mount a camera with speaker near the exhaust tips to see whether it's more 'back there'.

/Andy
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Resolved

Originally Posted by AndyDove
Apologies for waking an old thread, but was there any conclusion to this? I'm having exactly the same issue, C5 coupe with Borla S-Type II, loud resonating / buzzing noise between 2.5k and 3k rpm. Really annoying, and quote vocal outside the car too. It sounds metallic, so I'm wondering whether it's the Borla muffler itself. I also checked heat shields and there's plenty of clearance there.

I'm going to mount a camera with speaker near the exhaust tips to see whether it's more 'back there'.

/Andy
Old response to an old thread, but good to write the conclusion I think (for future searches). I did put an video camera on a stick back there,
. Sent it off to Borla (actually to Dave Borla who sometimes posts on this forum). He had a listen and decided it was a loose internal component, and a new one was dispatched under warranty (no charge). New one fitted and it's all good.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to the awesome customer care that Borla demonstrate. Very good company, and great product.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Stingers question/issue?

Quick Reply: Borla Stingers question/issue?